Rega RP6/3 or Dac for Apollo r

DirkSquareJaw

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and just getting back into hifi.

I've just purchased a new Apollo R and run it through my old Alpha 8 amp and power amp. I have to say they work very well together! So well that I can't see me changing the amps any time soon. I'm thinking of adding the dac to improve the detail a little....perhaps smooth the edge off and tighten the bass. I've had a demo with and without at Audio Republic, admittedly on Andys kit not mine. While there was a difference I couldn't say for sure until I demo at home on my set up....which has got me thinking.

I could either buy the dac now or the Rega RP6 (replace an aging Project debut) but not both. I really can't decide which would make the most sonic sense? I plan on getting both in time and have a budget of £900 for now.

What would you good folk do and why?

DirkSquareJaw

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Project is the original and still going strong.

I listen to cd's mostly but love LPs ..love the sound.I would like to develope a reasonable collection. Hard choice at mo. The wife thinks dac then upgrade amps and worry about turn tables once my collection is much larger than the current 28 lp's.

Infact next on my list is 'Mad Man Across The Water- fav Elton album.

Is it worth a catridge at this late stage..still on the original omb 5e

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Not much to be gained by adding the DAC to your Apollo R as the Apollo R uses the same DAC chips, however you are getting the transport & DAC in seperate circuits so if your amp is transparent you may notice an improvement.

The RP6 over you Project would be a massive improvement so I would go this route if most of your listening is vinyl.

However a DAC adds flexibilty!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering whether an RP3 might be a better match for the Alpha 8. Can't remember off-hand how much the Alpha 8 cost, but would it be a better fit with a £500 TT rather than a £1000 one? If so, you'd have loads of cash left over for new records!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts