Really need help.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
My setup is marantz pm6005 and q acoustics concept 20. The sound is good and detailed, but it really lacks punch. I have heard that the nad 3020 could give me what i am wanting. Any thoughts guys? :rockout:

matthewpiano

See if you can get to hear an Exposure 1010. Similar price to the NAD D3020 (I assume you mean this rather than the old 3020), far less features but an oustanding quality of sound and plenty of punch. A much more convincing all-rounder than the Marantz but you need to be open to the idea of a very basic feature set.

As for the NAD I can't comment as I haven't heard it. My previous experience of NAD amps such as the C325BEE and C326BEE is that they are extremely musical and enjoyable with plenty of punch, but the sound can veer a bit too far the other way and lack refinement. Either way the new D3020 has to be worth listening to. You might also want to try Rotel's RA10 and RA11 (depending on which features you need).

Don't make a change without auditioning first.

matthewpiano

If you want an amp with optical built-in then you are limited to the NAD D3020 or the Rotel RA-11.

If the built-in DAC is important to you then I think you should definitely audition the NAD. Their amps have always been more fun and more involving than the Marantz ones IMO, and I wouldn't expect the D3020 to be a significant departure.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you have to change to floorstander speakers :quest: What is the size of your room ?

Also an optical cable is not the ideal one for music listening try to demo a good RCA cable one .

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Maybe you have to change to floorstander speakers :quest: What is the size of your room ?

Also an optical cable is not the ideal one for music listening try to demo a good RCA cable one .

Utter rubbish!

Hi Chr78

I'll recommend that you should also consider Monitor Audio's new A100 amplifier
smiley-smile.gif
The A100 should be available fairly soon.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Chr78

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hello Rick,

Could you tell me more about the A100 ? I've been waiting to try this one out but it's not available in Holland yet.

Have you heard one already ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:
If you can afford it and if you can find one, a Creek 50A with onboard dac module.

Not cheap but a real, serious improvement.

The Creek Ruby DAC module will not be available for a while yet. Probably another few months.

I was told exactly that about a year ago........ :?

I don't know what it is with Creek but they seem to be making it increasingly difficult to buy their products.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
ISAC69 said:

Utter rubbish!

I see that your system bellow is quite rubbbish for music...

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40 also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
relocated said:
ISAC69 said:

Utter rubbish!

and Grado SR80i

:clap:

:rofl:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
ISAC69 said:
relocated said:
ISAC69 said:

Utter rubbish!

and Grado SR80i

:clap:

:rofl:

I'll bet it will eat yours in 5 seconds.. sorry

T

the record spot

ISAC69 said:
relocated said:
ISAC69 said:

Utter rubbish!

and Grado SR80i

Optical cables are absolutely fine for music listening. I use one as well as more typical phono cables into my amp. Isac's later post was additional nonsense.

Audiophiles like that are in the minority. Great audio is easily had these days, is not the preserve of the golden eared and many of the old rules and perceived wisdoms have thankfully been kicked into the long grass.

Cypher said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Chr78

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hello Rick,

Could you tell me more about the A100 ? I've been waiting to try this one out but it's not available in Holland yet.

Have you heard one already ?

Hi Cypher

No, I've not heard the A100.

Fwiw, in the meantime there is a YouTube video with Monitor Audio's Technical Director Dean Hartley who explains more about the A100.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
ISAC69 said:
relocated said:
ISAC69 said:

Utter rubbish!

and Grado SR80i

Optical cables are absolutely fine for music listening. I use one as well as more typical phono cables into my amp. Isac's later post was additional nonsense.

Audiophiles like that are in the minority. Great audio is easily had these days, is not the preserve of the golden eared and many of the old rules and perceived wisdoms have thankfully been kicked into the long grass.

RCA and Coax cables are the best , the USB is fine if you don't use a cheap one the optical is absolutely awful you really need an excellent

DAC to get a decent sound from an optical cable .

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
http://www.tested.com/tech/632-hdmi-vs-optical-vs-analog-audio-whats-the-best-connection/

"The analog connection has the same benefit as vinyl to audiophiles: the purity of the sound[/b]. The sound isn't encoded in any way; the device, like an SACD player or a vinyl turntable, decodes the audio from the media itself (whether by needle or by laser), and sends that very signal straight to the receiver, the preamp, or the amp, and then to the speakers themselves. "

TRENDING THREADS