Real world biwiring results & recent upgrades - hifi fever still rising

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
tonky said:
And moderators - Please lock this thread!!!!!!! I think we have all had enough !!

Rather than imposing your view on what others should or should not contribute to, can I suggest that if you find the thread objectionable that you just don't read it going forward?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I think this thread ran out of meaningful contributions quite a while back and just became a turgid to and fro of "personal issues" .I am one of the last people who would want to impose "my views" on anyone else - but the personal worth of this thread has gone.

Free speech rule ok! Mine included tonky

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
I think this thread ran out of meaningful contributions quite a while back and just became a turgid to and fro of "personal issues" .I am one of the last people who would want to impose "my views" on anyone else - but the personal worth of this thread has gone.

Free speech rule ok! Mine included tonky

Hard to practice free speech with a thread lockup.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I usually know when a thread has moved into personel crusades or abuse when it gets this big this quick is this one as i have not read it from about 70 posts ago! I fell sorry for the origional poster. Happy Christmas.

A

Anderson

Its not an unknown phenomena, its called a recording engineers and producers. You use a mixing desk, for each source/channel you have you can pan the sound to come from wherever you please, this allows you to create a '3D' image via stereo. Its not black magic or voodoo, I don't understand how people don't understand this.

Thanks for explaining the guys question though.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol..... MeanGreen, if you know how to calculate were a given instrument will appear in a soundstage, please share.

Davedotco usually knows we're to google, ask him to post it.

Look, the whole point about cables, bi-wiring is 'subjective' ? - for those who hear no difference, tuff. Does not make those who do hear differences deluded.

Like I've said if putting your speakers out of phase can make a difference to what you hear then the cables used can also affect what you hear.

The electric signal as a whole is a carrier. It Carrries your volts, watts, current and the information from your amp.

Anything that can affect the signal carried Will affect the information carried.

These are not subjective musings it can be demonstrated.

Another out there scenario - my first job after coming out of education was in a network operation centre a telecommunications NOC.

The control room was filled with banks of computers - I could hear a high pitch tone - used to go home with migraines. When I queried this I was told you'll get use to it, some never even noticed/heard it.

Point being we are not all the same!

Some of you need to accept your limitations.

The math is all good and well but trust me it's not complete.

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:
To be fair Thompson I actually do have no idea what you're trying to explain.

He is trying to say there is no technical explanation for where instruments appear in the soundstage. It is some kind of phenomenon.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Man, you're missing the best bits.....

Reminds me must check your pmc killer thread.

boggit said:
I usually know when a thread has moved into personel crusades or abuse when it gets this big this quick is this one as i have not read it from about 70 posts ago! I fell sorry for the origional poster. Happy Christmas.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow......

Anderson said:
Its not an unknown phenomena, its called a recording engineers and producers. You use a mixing desk, for each source/channel you have you can pan the sound to come from wherever you please, this allows you to create a '3D' image via stereo. Its not black magic or voodoo, I don't understand how people don't understand this.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Luckely I'm busy elsewhere! Shiney pics on there! However IPL a non promoting kind of guy, recommends bi wire, then again he sells cables!! Oh my god have I just entered the post? The biggest cable upgrade I made was when I moved listening room the cables didn't reach so I upgraded to 5M ones!

A

Anderson

Did you tri-wire that 5m run on each side? Some say bi-wire is where its at. I know from personal experience that I got a 66.6% improvement in sonic fidelity when I went tri. If you go bi you just wasting your time, once you go tri you know you gonna fly. My my my! Um hmmm!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol..... MeanGreen, if you know how to calculate were a given instrument will appear in a soundstage, please share.

Look, the whole point about cables, bi-wiring is 'subjective' ? - for those who hear no difference, tuff. Does not make those who do hear differences deluded.

Like I've said if putting your speakers out of phase can make a difference to what you hear then the cables used can also affect what you hear.

The electric signal as a whole is a carrier. It Carrries your volts, watts, current and the information from your amp.

Anything that can affect the signal carried Will affect the information carried.

Another out there scenario - my first job after coming out of education was in a network operation centre a telecommunications NOC.

The control room was filled with banks of computers - I could hear a high pitch tone - used to go home with migraines. When I queried this I was told you'll get use to it, some never even noticed/heard it.

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:

He is trying to say there is no technical explanation for where instruments appear in the soundstage. It is some kind of phenomenon.

So, you hear noises that other people don't? Explains a lot....

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Thompsonuxb said:

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:

*biggrin* Come on now Ben, be nice

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well to be honest it was 5m of Orange, Black and Decker lawn mower mains cable, the only thing I had to hand. To be honest if it were a Bosch lawn mower I think it would of sounded better they do make great products, however I prefer Miele.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BenLaw said:
Thompsonuxb said:

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:

When it comes to Mr UXB that *is* me being nice. Prffft, lol etc.

A

Anderson

boggit said:
Well to be honest it was 5m of Orange, Black and Decker lawn mower mains cable, the only thing I had to hand. To be honest if it were a Bosch lawn mower I think it would of sounded better they do make great products, however I prefer Miele.

You know, I once used the power cord from my cannon ink jet printer. Really helped paint a more colourfully vivid soundstage.

Tide goes in, tide goes out, can't explain that!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BenLaw said:
Thompsonuxb said:

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:

It made me laugh.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BenLaw said:
Thompsonuxb said:

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:

It made me laugh.

Chris

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

With regards to the soundstage read Anderson's quote below. If you were mixing and recording in a studio you can mix/boost/cut any instrument you want to either the left or right channel, or even between both at once. Hence the 3D image. The highest of frequencies are the most directional and the lowest are omnidirectional. Any recording engineer will understand these principles and can mix a track to produce exactly the image they want.

How well your system and most importantly your speakers are set up and integrate with your room will determine how accurately you will hear that 3D image at home.

I don't see how wiring out of phase making an audible difference to the sound proves anything about Biwiring or cables affecting sound?

Wiring out of phase is basically inverting the signal. That very obviously will have an effect. Biwire is electrically no different to single wire. The signal is exactly the same.

I don't dispute people hearing a difference, I'm not saying they are deluded. I do think they may be fooled into hearing a change because of psychological reasons or placebo if you like.

The stereo image thing is going off topic and I have previously said to the OP, if he is happy with his changes with the biwire then great!

Happy biwiring and merry Christmas!

Anderson said:

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Now that's what I call an explanation and it concurs exactly with my own listening experiences - nice one meanand green.

tonky

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......

BenLaw, how you been. Haven't seen you round here for a while.

Hope all is good.

Oh and no, I don't hear things others don't, the point was as a younger man my hearing was better than it is today is all.

Anyway.....
BenLaw said:
Thompsonuxb said:

MeanandGreen said:
Anderson said:

?

?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts