RDC cones and the like

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I use the Black diamond racing cones Mk 3 & 4 on my consonance cd player. It tightened the image and made it more focused and improved the dynamics (tighter/punchier bass, guitars stand out more etc), slightly smoother and seperation of the instruments. Thats what I've found anyway. I think the biggest improvement is on the source (cd player/dvd player etc)

Cheers,

Steve.

idc

My amp is particularly sensitive to vibration. I hear it as a background 'tingggg' or 'szszszszsz' when there is no music playing. So the noise will also be there when the music is playing and that will reduce overall sound quality. I made my own little stand to reduce the effects as much as possible, as you can see in my signature pictures.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Justafan:Do they actually work? As in, actually improve the sound of your system when used instead of the supplied feet with the CDP or amp?

There's only one way to find out!

If you do try them I'd recommend using three instead of four, as the component will be more stable in the sense that there will be proper contact between the cones and the unit's base.

e

A

Anonymous

Well my components all have four feet... so if I was only to use three a think there would be an extreme case of wobble and tilting! Am I right in thinking that the cones are used to screw onto the thread that fixes the feet in place?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

You dont have to take off the feet - I havent. Its much easier that way it only takes a short time to try them. I use them in a triangle formation pointing upwards to the base of the cd player, 1 under the cd transport, 2 at the rear. Some peole have two at the front of the cd player, others have the point going into the suppport platform. You can move them around and try different positions.

You can use vipropods too which is cheaper but has a less effect, some people try squash balls cut in half - cheaper again.

Cheers,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Hey Steve

Just to be crystal clear here... do you just PLACE the cones between the underneath of your component and rack shelf? Am I wrong or are the images of cones I've seen already have threads on them, meaning you HAVE to remove your feet to use them? Or do the types of cone you use eschew that altogether?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Justafan:

Hey Steve

Just to be crystal clear here... do you just PLACE the cones between the underneath of your component and rack shelf? Am I wrong or are the images of cones I've seen already have threads on them, meaning you HAVE to remove your feet to use them? Or do the types of cone you use eschew that altogether?

Hi,

You can just place the cones underneath your component and on top of the rack shelf either pointing up underneath your component or pointing towards the rack. It does have a screw thread into the BDR pyramid cones to. But I prefer the former method as you can move them around to find whats best for your component in a few seconds.

Some buy the cheaper vibrapods and cones (good value for money) and they make a difference too but not as big as the BDR - on my system anyway. I have tried the 12 inch bicycle tube under a component, a thin brick in sock on a cd player they made a small difference. Others have tried squash balls cut in half etc. I haven't tried the Nordost pulsar points though as Ive been told they brighten up the sound and make the sound faster and more detailed.

I have tried metal cones with mixed results - tighter image, faster, more top end detail but I found they can be a bit more clinical sounding and perhaps a little harsh seems to make the sound brighter - may work well on some systems.

I found the BDR works best on the source (cd player and dvd) and on my valve pre. I found they tighten the image bringing more focus to the sound, a bit smoother and seems to bring out more details of the soundstage - on my system. You can try the vibrapods and vibracones first they are a bit cheaper - they work better together - smoother, more solid bass opens up the sound a bit.

This is what I have found only with my components on my system - so maybe try before you buy.

Let us know how you go.

All the best

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Excellent, very detailed answer. Thanks Steve. I'm now based near any even semi decent places so can't really try before I buy, but will investigate all types and see what I think may suit my needs best.

Thanks again.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

A good website for tweaks is audiotweaks.com it was helpful for comparing various tweaks people have tried.

Let us know how you go.

All the best

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts