Quality of finish - speakers in the £1k - £2k range

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I rushed off to a local Sevenoaks in my lunch hour today as I'm looking at upgrading my speakers. I've been told at home that gloss black will show up all the dust and is therefore a no no. This has not helped me in my quest. All the speakers I saw on show (there were not that many to be fair) apart from Monitor Audio and gloss black, were sharp edged and basically not that great to look at. I have been looking at Spendor, B&W, Proac, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber and PMC for potential new speakers and today I only saw some Spendors (the SA1's looked lovely but I want floorstanders) and the CM range of B&W. They both looked very chippable! My RS6's are so well made that maybe I've been spoiled. Basically I want my speakers (apart from obviously sounding great) to look the part and not to have razor sharp edges. I'm hoping that the other brands (I know the SF speakers will) have the look I'm after.

A

Anonymous

Canton reference series look good, as do Opera and Chario. They sound pretty good, too.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Sonus Faber should fit the bill in terms of style, looks and finish quality.

I also remembr seeng some Tannoy range (Revolution? Definition?) that looks very neat. Not sure of prices though.

338-large-3QFrGOffCherry.jpg

Audio Physic are nice, check them out.

Chario?

Neat?

Totem?

What kind of look are you after?

Gerrardasnails:I rushed off to a local Sevenoaks in my lunch hour today as I'm looking at upgrading my speakers. I've been told at home that gloss black will show up all the dust and is therefore a no no. This has not helped me in my quest. All the speakers I saw on show (there were not that many to be fair) apart from Monitor Audio and gloss black, were sharp edged and basically not that great to look at. I have been looking at Spendor, B&W, Proac, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber and PMC for potential new speakers and today I only saw some Spendors (the SA1's looked lovely but I want floorstanders) and the CM range of B&W. They both looked very chippable! My RS6's are so well made that maybe I've been spoiled. Basically I want my speakers (apart from obviously sounding great) to look the part and not to have razor sharp edges. I'm hoping that the other brands (I know the SF speakers will) have the look I'm after.

Gerrard, it's an easy solution. Clearly you love the RS6s: GS20

Or even Quad 22L2

http://www.superfi.co.uk/popup.cfm?product_name=QUAD%2022L2%20SPEAKERS%20%28PAIR%29&image_name=quad-22lii-bk-ang-pair.jpg

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Gerrardasnails:I rushed off to a local Sevenoaks in my lunch hour today as I'm looking at upgrading my speakers. I've been told at home that gloss black will show up all the dust and is therefore a no no. This has not helped me in my quest. All the speakers I saw on show (there were not that many to be fair) apart from Monitor Audio and gloss black, were sharp edged and basically not that great to look at. I have been looking at Spendor, B&W, Proac, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber and PMC for potential new speakers and today I only saw some Spendors (the SA1's looked lovely but I want floorstanders) and the CM range of B&W. They both looked very chippable! My RS6's are so well made that maybe I've been spoiled. Basically I want my speakers (apart from obviously sounding great) to look the part and not to have razor sharp edges. I'm hoping that the other brands (I know the SF speakers will) have the look I'm after.

Or even Quad 22L2

http://www.superfi.co.uk/popup.cfm?product_name=QUAD%2022L2%20SPEAKERS%20%28PAIR%29&image_name=quad-22lii-bk-ang-pair.jpg

I will look at the GS range PP. However, I think I'm leaning towards Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber now. They are just beautiful and supposedly excellent too.

This won't happen just yet but it's fun looking!

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Or even Quad 22L2

I will look at the GS range PP. However, I think I'm leaning towards Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber now. They are just beautiful and supposedly excellent too. This won't happen just yet but it's fun looking!

Isn't it just... fun is always auditioning. Get it home, and after a few months, you tend to get itchy fingers (I do, anyway).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem for manufacturers is that they have a budget for parts and R&D for speakers. Some will blow huge amounts on the finish of the speaker which will visually impress people. Others might put the majority of that into the quality of parts, which will impress more in demos than sitting on the shop floor. Or, they can split it and have half decent looking speakers that are nothing spa ail in terms of sound quality. Some manufacturers get this right occasionally and get a great balance, some don't. But square boxes keeps that budget down and allows for a better braced cabinet, or better drive units to be used.

If a speaker had a slightly dodgy looking vinyl wrap, but blew away a pair of speakers that used real wood veneers, which would you choose? There's no single answer there as we're all different.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The problem for manufacturers is that they have a budget for parts and R&D for speakers. Some will blow huge amounts on the finish of the speaker which will visually impress people. Others might put the majority of that into the quality of parts, which will impress more in demos than sitting on the shop floor. Or, they can split it and have half decent looking speakers that are nothing spa ail in terms of sound quality. Some manufacturers get this right occasionally and get a great balance, some don't. But square boxes keeps that budget down and allows for a better braced cabinet, or better drive units to be used.

If a speaker had a slightly dodgy looking vinyl wrap, but blew away a pair of speakers that used real wood veneers, which would you choose? There's no single answer there as we're all different.

Obviously I would go for the better sounding speakers. Are you saying that Sonus Faber for instance don't make a £2k speaker that's comparable to the leading £2k speaker?

A

Anonymous

What is the leading £2k speaker? I'm hoping the answer is Dynaudio or Chario because that's what I have my eye on at the moment.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The problem for manufacturers is that they have a budget for parts and R&D for speakers. Some will blow huge amounts on the finish of the speaker which will visually impress people. Others might put the majority of that into the quality of parts, which will impress more in demos than sitting on the shop floor. Or, they can split it and have half decent looking speakers that are nothing spa ail in terms of sound quality. Some manufacturers get this right occasionally and get a great balance, some don't. But square boxes keeps that budget down and allows for a better braced cabinet, or better drive units to be used. If a speaker had a slightly dodgy looking vinyl wrap, but blew away a pair of speakers that used real wood veneers, which would you choose? There's no single answer there as we're all different.

While I agree with the basic principle of what you're saying about allocating budget between appearance and performance, I wonder if it is really as simple as that...

If it is just a matter of spending as much money on quality parts and as little on appearance as possible, then I'd expect all the pretty speakers (Monitor Audio, etc) to sound like utter rubbish and the really ugly stuff to be the only good sounding gear... Clearly that is not the case for everyone, many very attractive products are loved by fans and reviewers, while some ugly ones are disliked by everyone...

Also, I wonder whether having the most expensive (highest quality) parts guarantees that one design will sound better than another... I suspect that a well designed product with modest parts could sound better than a poorly designed product with very high quality parts...

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The problem for manufacturers is that they have a budget for parts and R&D for speakers. Some will blow huge amounts on the finish of the speaker which will visually impress people. Others might put the majority of that into the quality of parts, which will impress more in demos than sitting on the shop floor. Or, they can split it and have half decent looking speakers that are nothing spa ail in terms of sound quality. Some manufacturers get this right occasionally and get a great balance, some don't. But square boxes keeps that budget down and allows for a better braced cabinet, or better drive units to be used. If a speaker had a slightly dodgy looking vinyl wrap, but blew away a pair of speakers that used real wood veneers, which would you choose? There's no single answer there as we're all different.

Well put, IMO.

Obviously, real-wood veneers are a 'feature' of the speakers, and without this feature the money could be spent elsewhere. I have RS6s too, and as they meet my partner's standards for living room furniture, I'd have been happy if they sounded slightly less impressive than the price-comparable competition. That I actually preferred them was a bonus.

We may be relocating soon, and if so I'm taking the electronics with me but the speakers will be sold. Haven't a clue what I'm going to buy which will again meet the sound quality+attractive build requirements, other than RX6s.

If that is indeed the new MA Gold...
emotion-3.gif
emotion-21.gif

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Alot of hifi manufacturers are now doing all the R&D work in their native countries and then assembling the components in places like China to keep the cost of their products competitive while delivering superb finishes.

Monitor Audio and Apple are good example's

A

Anonymous

I think that you,ll find the quality of finish in most speakers up to £2000 is very good, but it,s cheap thin veneer that is used for it,s so called quality. Up until about 8 years ago ART made a floorstander that was constructed out of solid cherry i think and it looked and sounded better than anything i have heard or seen since. Think it was about £2800. They say that trees that give good quality wood are becoming more expensive, but the popularity of using MDF as a construction material is growing every year. You can buy a complete kitchen out of Ikea that has a quality veneer on all its faces for the same price as 2 floorstanding speakers in the price range we are talking about. I think too many people use the old R&D excuse when justifying retail prices.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure I remember Spendor telling me that the SA1s took a couple of years to develop. Wonder how many man hours of effort it was.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Amphion+Argon+3L+review.jpg

Amphion Argon 3L - made of real tree wood (beech), with excellent fit 'n' finish and look even better in the 'flesh' IMHO - they're real 'room furniture'
emotion-2.gif

Five-star rated by 'another leading monthly hifi mag'
emotion-5.gif

If you demo a pair, make sure you use 100% copper speaker cable without the merest whiff of any silver in its makeup. I demo'd a pair of 3Ls with a silver/copper cable (Chord) and they sounded very bright at the top end (awesome subwoofer-esque bass, though); subsequently been advised that I should have used 100% copper cable...

Based on a slightly dodgy hypothesis, and given Gerrard has a Moon amp, which speakers would you recommend?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:What is the leading £2k speaker? I'm hoping the answer is Dynaudio or Chario because that's what I have my eye on at the moment.

If it's a floorstander, my money's on the ProAc D18...

Singslinger:

Grottyash:What is the leading £2k speaker? I'm hoping the answer is Dynaudio or Chario because that's what I have my eye on at the moment.

This is the problem with hi-fi: one persons heaven can be anothers hell, regardless of reviews and recommendations.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:Singslinger:

This is the problem with hi-fi: one persons heaven can be anothers hell, regardless of reviews and recommendations.

Yes, totally agree. Best advice is to take all recommendations on board, then audition before buying.

Singslinger:plastic penguin:Singslinger:

Yes, totally agree. Best advice is to take all recommendations on board, then audition before buying.

Absolutely - this is why advice is really good, but hearing them for yourself is the ultimate answer on which ones are hot while others are rot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts