Quad 909 or cyrus smart power???

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
If you had a choice between two smart powers or a quad 909 power amp with a all cyrus system but felt your midrange was a little thin for a set of Proac D28's which way would you go. I enjoy my smartpowers but know that a little thicking wouldn't hurt either for my listening tastes. (metal). If I wanted to go to the cyrus mono X's that would be a 5500 touch vs a 1000 for the quad 909 in NA

A

Anonymous

The Quad 909 is a superb amp for the price. With the current dumping design you get class A behind your midrange which gives it superb clarity. If you were to be critical of it people have said that it excels at mids but is only 'fine' for bass and treble. The Mono Xs are ridiculously good but in an utterly different league. Quad's kudos is high too IMO; an amazing company, amazing technology (esp when you consider when Peter Walker came up with the current dumping design), lovely build and excellent service. It's an amp that will live as long as you and you could get it upgraded one day too.

Right, I'll stop now.

A

Anonymous

I would get a s/h Bel Canto S300. Blends very nice with Cyrus and keeps to the half width design

A

Anonymous

I had a S300i (integrated) with a CDXT and DAC-X. I blew away my pre/X Power combo, and all in one nice looking box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts