Quad 606 + Quad 44 or new Yamaha AS501 (or similar)?

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi;

Newbie with a first post here, and I'm after a bit of advice, please. I've been running a Wharfedale Linton Receiver/Sherwood PM8550 turntable/Eltax Silverstone 200 speakers system (with various CD players) for over 10 years, but my lovely old Wharfedale has given up on 1 channel and smells suspiciously like burning cable when run for any length of time. Time to move on. A friend has offered me his Quad 606 and Quad 44 for £400 (he's had them since new), but I'm unsure whether to go for this or buy a new amp, such as the Yamaha AS501. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but I do have some doubts. Make no mistake, I used to gaze longingly at Quad gear while poring over What Hi-Fi? back in the early 80's, when I bought my first system (Dual 606, Nad 3020, Kef Coda 2's) , but I' m wondering if it's right for me now. I really need an amp with 2 switched speaker outputs, as I run a pair of Wharfedale Deltas in a second room, and I'd like a headphone output - the Quad has neither of these. I know I can adapt by using a 2-speaker switch (such as a QED SS22), and connecting a headphone amp to the Quad 44, but wonder if I can get decent results from these 2 extra pieces of kit without spending another couple of hundred quid (and whether sound quality would be noticeably affected), or should I go for a simpler option such as a new Yamaha AS501, which already has a headphone output and 2 switched speaker outputs. Like I said, I've lusted after the Quad before, but it sometimes seemed the reserve of CD-playing (and crucially, higher-income) classical music buffs, and I've read reviews saying it didn't do new vinyl justice. I listen to reggae, soul, old and new rock/indie, singer/songwriter and electronic (split 50/50 vinyl and CD) and while I love a quality sound, have no delusions about being a hardline 'audiophile'.

Basically, I'm asking, should I dive in for the Quad, or am I simply being a bit 'starstruck' and should really go for a modern amp that needs no additional kit? Thanks for reading.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi Vladimir;

Thanks for replying. So you'd recommend going for the Quad even with the need for additional kit? And, just to be clear, there shouldn't be a noticeable reduction of sound quality with the extra kit?

Cheers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You made my vote easy by choosing a Yamaha A-S501 as the alternative.

But if you don't care about audiophile stuff and upgrades, just get a new budget Yamaha or a Marantz and enjoy your tunes. Being aspirational is heavy on the wallet.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi CnoEvil;

Thanks - saw my friend today and that's exactly what he offered, so I'll give that a go.

Anyone else with opinions and/or different amp options is also welcome.

Any tips on headphone amps to pair with the Quad 606/44 would be great, too.

Cheers, guys.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Get the Quad, particularly if it looks well looked after.

Buy an inexpensive integrated, connect to a tape out on the 44 and use it to drive extension speakers and headphones. If you buy used it will cost no more than a headphone adapter / swirch box. Easier to use too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I also think the Quad is the best option.....my advice is to borrow it from your friend and set it up in your room to see how it all sounds, before buying.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi, davedotco;

Thanks for that, sounds like a great idea - wouldn't have thought of it. It would certainly mean less interfaces/separate 'boxes', and as you say, not too expensive while guaranteeing a good headphone signal. A much 'tidier' option.

I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi again, Vladimir;

Thanks for this suggestion, too. As I said to davedotco's idea, I wouldn't have thought of this. The headphone adaptor project looks interesting (I checked out the link) - though it's a while since I've done even basic electronics, I do know someone who could build it. The Quad 44 does have a phono board. I'll mull over which solution to go for but, at the minute, I'm certainly veering towards the Quads rather than a brand new amp, now that I know there are options to follow.

Thanks again for the help.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mr P. said:
Hi again, Vladimir;

Thanks for this suggestion, too. As I said to davedotco's idea, I wouldn't have thought of this. The headphone adaptor project looks interesting (I checked out the link) - though it's a while since I've done even basic electronics, I do know someone who could build it. The Quad 44 does have a phono board. I'll mull over which solution to go for but, at the minute, I'm certainly veering towards the Quads rather than a brand new amp, now that I know there are options to follow.

Thanks again for the help.

So all you need to complete the kit for the Quad is a speaker switch box and to build the cheap and simple adaptor for the headphone output.

Something that most people don't know is that almost all amplifiers do the same thing, drive the headphones with their power amp section passed through a circuit exactly like that adaptor. This is why when you turn on the headphones on those amps, the speakers stop working. You effectively switched the amp to another pair of 'speakers', in this case headphones. Exactly the same thing will happen with the adaptor coming out of your switchbox. So this is not botched up solution, its same as the factory solution. Only very very few amps have a dedicated headphone amp inside and it's usually of poor driving capability.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The quad has alot of power but is ugly imo and comes with alot of faff and extra spending.

Not sure how it will sound back to back against the Yamaha but you get it all with the Yamaha plus a warranty.

And with 85wpc two sets of speaker outs no extra spending......

I'd go with the Yamaha but I like the Yamaha sound.

Toss a coin.....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The quad has alot of power but is ugly imo and comes with alot of faff and extra spending.

Not sure how it will sound back to back against the Yamaha but you get it all with the Yamaha plus a warranty.

Toss a coin.....

First of all there is no competition on build quality. The Quad is built to last and it does. When it breaks, you fix it and carry on. When the Yamaha breaks, you check the date on the warranty and if its passed, you chuck it as spares on ebay or throw it away.

Secondly, the essential function - amplifying. The Quad can run any speaker on the planet with its 140 watts per channel into 8Ω (both ch. driven) and abundance of current available. The Yamaha can only drive easy speaker loads with its modest PSU.

Preamp in the Quad is a separate component with high quality parts, with very hefty PSU, fully discrete and modular. The Yamaha is an integrated built with the bottom of the bin parts, opamps and shares the PSU with the power section.

Regarding looks, the Yamaha is more pretty, no question about it. But if you are a vintage fan, your eyes will certanly not hurt from the Quad's retro futuristic looks. Each time you push a yellow button you expect the Daleks to land and invade Canada.

Toss the Yamaha... *biggrin*

P.S. I'm neither a Quad fan or a Yamaha hater. I just think the Quad is a winner when compared to any budget sub £1K integrated and receiver on the market. I'd also gladly have the Cyrus DM recommends, but certanly not as desirable as the Quad.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol.... I have no comeback Vlad, deep down I agree with all you've said.

Real world though - blind, there would be very little between the amps but yes, the Quads are future proof and will drive any speaker it's asked to drive.

Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Toss a coin.....

First of all there is no competition on build quality. The Quad is built to last and it does. When it breaks, you fix it and carry on. When the Yamaha breaks, you check the date on the warranty and if its passed, you chuck it as spares on ebay or throw it away.

Secondly, the essential function - amplifying. The Quad can run any speaker on the planet with its 140 watts per channel into 8Ω (both ch. driven) and abundance of current available. The Yamaha can only drive easy speaker loads with its modest PSU.

Preamp in the Quad is a separate component with high quality parts, with very hefty PSU, fully discrete and modular. The Yamaha is an integrated built with the bottom of the bin parts, opamps and shares the PSU with the power section.

Regarding looks, the Yamaha is more pretty, no question about it. But if you are a vintage fan, your eyes will certanly not hurt from the Quad's retro futuristic looks. Each time you push a yellow button you expect the Daleks to land and invade Canada.

Toss the Yamaha... *biggrin*

P.S. I'm neither a Quad fan or a Yamaha hater. I just think the Quad is a winner when compared to any budget sub £1K integrated and receiver on the market. I'd also gladly have the Cyrus DM recommends, but certanly not as desirable as the Quad.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In a double blind test hook up a pair of Linn Isobariks, Martin Logan CLS or god forbid Carvers and Apogees on the Yamaha vs the Quad and I'll tell you which one enters protection mode. *biggrin*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
In a double blind test hook up a pair of Linn Isobariks, Martin Logan CLS or god forbid Carvers and Apogees on the Yamaha vs the Quad and I'll tell you which one enters protection mode. *biggrin*

I had no idea the OP's mate was offering all those speakers too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

I had no idea the OP's mate was offering all those speakers too.

Once you get that Quad, you may develop an itch for 1 ohm speaker loads. Otherwise, with sanity button turned on, a second hand Marantz PM-6004 is all he needs.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi davedotco;

Just thinking over your suggestion for a separate integrated amp for 2nd set of speakers - as I said, I liked the idea, but guess that means the signal will just pass through the 44 direct to the 'other' amp, without going through the 606. Does this mean that the 2nd speaker set are effectively driven by the 'other' amp? Asking because I listen on the 2nd set at least as much as the 1st speaker set and it seems a shame to buy the Quad gear then only be able to hear the benefits on one set of speakers. Sorry to seem such a numptie by asking what may be relatively basic questions.

Cheers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mr P. said:
Hi davedotco;

Just thinking over your suggestion for a separate integrated amp for 2nd set of speakers - as I said, I liked the idea, but guess that means the signal will just pass through the 44 direct to the 'other' amp, without going through the 606. Does this mean that the 2nd speaker set are effectively driven by the 'other' amp? Asking because I listen on the 2nd set at least as much as the 1st speaker set and it seems a shame to buy the Quad gear then only be able to hear the benefits on one set of speakers. Sorry to seem such a numptie by asking what may be relatively basic questions.

Cheers.

Your assumption is correct. The second amp will drive your second pair of speakers.

My suggestion was based on the 'normal' situation where the second pair of speakers are secondary in all respects, if you want comparable quality from both sets, you need to think differently.

Again, the switchgear suggested by Vlad would be a possibility but is hardly neat. Of course the 44 pre-amp has multiple pre-amp outputs so a second Quad power amp could be used.

Either way you lose a degree of control, the relative volume of each speaker will be fixed but that will be ok if you only use one set at a time. Maybe you are begining to see why 'proper' multi-room is so popular, with all the flexibility and independent control from room to room.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mr P. said:
Hi davedotco;

Cheers.

Your assumption is correct. The second amp will drive your second pair of speakers.

My suggestion was based on the 'normal' situation where the second pair of speakers are secondary in all respects, if you want comparable quality from both sets, you need to think differently.

Again, the switchgear suggested by Vlad would be a possibility but is hardly neat. Of course the 44 pre-amp has multiple pre-amp outputs so a second Quad power amp could be used.

Either way you lose a degree of control, the relative volume of each speaker will be fixed but that will be ok if you only use one set at a time. Maybe you are begining to see why 'proper' multi-room is so popular, with all the flexibility and independent control from room to room.
Hi davedotco;

Thanks for confirming this. Although adding another Quad amp to run the second set of speakers sounds nice, I think I'm at risk of getting carried away here. Still hoping to run both sets off the 606, and looking likeI'll go for the QED SS22 2-way switch (and just wait and save up for a Pro-Ject Head Box S - or similar - for my headphones). Been trying to figure out if it's a series or parallel version I need, or if it honestly matters (unless I'm trying to run at high volumes and on both sets for lengths of times) as the QED site spec seems a bit ambiguous to me, regarding series vs parallel. I know it's to do with speaker impedance, but honestly can't figure it. My speakers are 4-8 Ohm (1st set) and 8 Ohm (2nd set). Any help on this would be great.

Wish I'd stuck at that Electronics course I started years ago. Cheers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you plan to run both pairs of speakers simultaneously and at high levels then get the box that wires in series. Otherwise the parallel box is what you want as this is the usual way of doing things.

The Qed box will do the job nicely but considering it is, more or less, an empty box with a couple of switches and a few connectors it is rather expensive for what you get. Still, casework is the most expensive part of an amplifier (or similar) so it kind of makes sense.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
If you plan to run both pairs of speakers simultaneously and at high levels then get the box that wires in series. Otherwise the parallel box is what you want as this is the usual way of doing things.

The Qed box will do the job nicely but considering it is, more or less, an empty box with a couple of switches and a few connectors it is rather expensive for what you get. Still, casework is the most expensive part of an amplifier (or similar) so it kind of makes sense.

Thanks again for your help with this - puts my mind at ease a bit more. Also, I rang up tech support at Quad yesterday to query whether there would be any risk to the amp with either of these QED models (too much internet research often seems to bring up horror stories on any subject if you look long enough), but they seemed confident the amp woud handle any possibility of low impedance. Hopefully once I can wire up the Quads for a try-out this weekend I can stop worrying and just enjoy some music.

Cheers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sweet! Congrats on choosing the mighty Quad Mr. P. Maybe a pair of ESL 57s will be on the horizon some day. *wink*

Quad_ESL57_1.jpg

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi Vladimir;

Saw a few pictures of these while looking around at Quad stuff and they do look amazing. I was speaking to another friend about buying a 'new' amp and he said he thought he had a pair of Wharfedale Ditton 44's at his shop (he's a sound engineer/instrument dealer), with 1 damaged tweeter, and a pair of working 33's, which, if he still has, he'd sell for £125 for both pairs. They've been in his family since the 70's and, although I haven't seen them yet, the only thing wrong is the 1 tweeter (could replace with one from the 33's, I think). Don't think they come with a nice pink jumper, though. The only info I can find seems to be for Celestion Dittons (I guess these are the same - related company?), but they definitely seem to be much-loved for their "rich, warm sound". Do you think these would compliment the Quad amps? I hadn't meant to spend any more for a while, but are these too good to pass up, do you think? Sorry to be asking for advice again, but it's been a real help.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS