Quad Artera Play +

anoniem

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Hello all,

Quite new to the forum and this is my fist post :)
Contemplate replacing my Quad Elite Pre amp and Elite CD player by the above mentioned Play +.
So far so good.
Worry ; my Stax tube SRM-T1S amp that drives my electrostatic Stax headspeaker is now
connedcted to the pre through the tape output.
The Artera has no such output ; according to Transtec I could now use a microphone cable
and connect XLR to XLR .
I'd like to be sure; please share your learned opinion.
The Artera Pay + is to drive two Quad Elite mono blocks ; is this a good combination ?
According to whathifi.com the Artera stereo amp disappoints a little.
Cheers,
Roland

Last edited:
Welcome!

Who is Transtec? Are they your dealer?

The preamp output is regulated by the volume control, but your present tape out isn’t. If you’re prepared for that then fine, but it’s not the same.

Some preamps don’t enjoy having both sets of outputs connected simultaneously, so I’d be asking Quad directly about that.

anoniem

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed reply, unfortunate family matters :(
Meanwhile contacted Transtec. The pre out on the Artera pre took over from the tape out on the Elite pre. Same function, so problem solved. What is your preffered cable to connect your Tele to the Artera pre ? There's no HDMI on the Artera, but coax, digital etc.
Sadly no analog on any new Tele anymore :(
Many thanks !

Meanwhile contacted Transtec. The pre out on the Artera pre took over from the tape out on the Elite pre. Same function, so problem solved. What is your preffered cable to connect your Tele to the Artera pre ? There's no HDMI on the Artera, but coax, digital etc.
Many thanks !
It’s not my particular expertise, but if you have an optical or coax handy I would try whatever is to hand.

I have used optical from TV to sound base because it was recommended or supplied, but I hate the insecure fitting, so would choose digital coax if I had the choice.

Reactions: anoniem

anoniem

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Many thanks !

Many thanks !
Nope; problem not solved :)
A tape-out is not exactly the same as pre-out.
I was given to understand it has to do with volume control ?
Ergo; when feel like listening to my Stay earspeaker I first need to switch of the mono blocks and then turn the volume on the Quad pre amp full 100 % .
The volume of the Stax earspeaker is then through the Stax amp.
Does this make sense and do we agree ?
Why do so many hifi makers ommit the tape-out and/or replace it by a pre-out ?
Thank you all for your response, I 'd like to be sure before spending 2k and afterwards learn my precious Stax has become useless.
Really love this forum btw.

Pre-out will be changed with the volume control. Tape out is a fixed level to a tape recorder or cassette deck. (The rarity of home taping, and popularity of power amps would explain the change)

Essentially, setting the preamp at or near maximum should give a similar output to a tape out, and thereafter your headphones can be regulated by the energiser box. I’m a bit rusty on Stax, so reassure me that you do actually have a volume control on the Stax box.

anoniem

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Pre-out will be changed with the volume control. Tape out is a fixed level to a tape recorder or cassette deck. (The rarity of home taping, and popularity of power amps would explain the change)

Essentially, setting the preamp at or near maximum should give a similar output to a tape out, and thereafter your headphones can be regulated by the energiser box. I’m a bit rusty on Stax, so reassure me that you do actually have a volume control on the Stax box.
Thank you !
I suppose you mean a similar output to the pre-out as on the former tape-out ?
Yes, the Stax tube amp is volume controlled. Actually it is a dual one ( sorry, English is not my first language ) meaning the one huge volume control button is split in a left and right signal.
Do I make sense :)

Reactions: nopiano

anoniem

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Thank you !
Yes, the Stax tube amp is volume controlled. Actually it is a dual one ( sorry, English is not my first language ) meaning the one huge volume control button is split in a left and right signal.
1710421945554.png

Thank you !
Yes, you make sense! And, yes, a similar output when your preamp is at or near maximum.

You are good to go!

anoniem

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
So far, so good and we're cracking on :)
Meanwhile listened to the amazing Spendor D7.2 speakers.
Could they make for a good match with our Quad Artera and the Quad Elite monoblocks ?
Please share your educated opinions and emotions.

So far, so good and we're cracking on :)
Meanwhile listened to the amazing Spendor D7.2 speakers.
Could they make for a good match with our Quad Artera and the Quad Elite monoblocks ?
Please share your educated opinions and emotions.
The monoblock amps should have no problem driving those speakers, a good match will depend on whether or not those speakers work well in your particular listening room ....

Reactions: DougK1 and anoniem

TRENDING THREADS