Question Help with Quad setup

SondreS

Apr 18, 2023
Visit site
Hi!

I inherited a hifi setup with a Quad Elite preamp, two Quad QMP monoblocks and a pair of Quad ESL-63.

I felt it lacked some punch in the low end and was lucky to find a pair of Gradient SW63 subwoofers. The subwoofers came with a filter.

I have some basic knowledge from simpler hifi setups and some basic PA as a band member. Im very new in the hifi game, but Im very eager to learn and I sincerely appreciate any help from the forum users.

Does anyone know how to properly set this up? Im planning to run cables through the walls and before ordering I need to know what the connections need to be. Like what to route through which connections.

The basic connections

Do I need a separate amplifier for the subs, or could i run both the ESL-63 and SW63s through them?

Is it like this?
Preamp out to sub filtrering box input

Sub filtrering box sub output to sub power amp
Sub power amp output to monoblocks

Sub filtrering box esl63 output to the two Quad QMP monoblocks
QMP monoblocks L&R XLR out to ESL 63

Does this seem correct?

Running cabling through walls

Im thinking to get two Speakon plugs for my wall, and run the cable through the walls and ceiling. Could I use two 4-pole speakon outlets on the wall, and run two 2-pole stereo cables through the pipes? Im picturing that this way i can run each set of speaker+sub through one pipe and the same Speakon plug.

jjbomber

Reactions: SondreS

jjbomber

I know you’re trying to help, but how might REL - who make powered subs in the UK - help with a passive Gradient from Finland? Are they that helpful?

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood you.
REL only make Subwoofers; they eat, sleep and breathe them! They don't make amplifiers, so they are always connecting them to other makes. They are the experts.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Running cabling through walls

Im thinking to get two Speakon plugs for my wall, and run the cable through the walls and ceiling. Could I use two 4-pole speakon outlets on the wall, and run two 2-pole stereo cables through the pipes? Im picturing that this way i can run each set of speaker+sub through one pipe and the same Speakon plug.
Why not?
You can use the 4 separate plug / socket poles any way you desire - as long as you observe polarities to keep your phasing correct.
They wouldn't necessarily be compatible with anyone else's Speakon wiring - but they don't have to be, as long as the wiring suits your needs (y)
(I really like Speakon connectors myself....trust Nuetrik to come up with them).

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Regarding the connections between the electronics:

1) For the subwoofer: preamp -> filter box -> amplifier -> subwoofer
2) For the main speakers: preamp -> monoblocks-> main speakers

If your filter box can accept a full signal, then you can connect it to the outputs of the monoblocks:

1) For the subwoofer: preamp -> monoblocks -> filter box -> amplifier -> subwoofer.

If your filter box both accepts and outputs a full signal and has volume control, then you can go without an extra amplifier for the subwoofer.

The volume control is an issue you must solve, because you have to set the volume separately for the subwoofer and the main speakers. Using an amplifier and not a simple power amp for the subwoofer is an option if the preamp or the filter box does not accommodate.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts