QED vs Audioquest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
keeper of the quays said:
abacus said:
We're still waiting for verifiable proof that cables sound different, (One person’s opinion is just that, opinion not proof) however nothing seems to be forthcoming.

Bill
come round to my gaff..i brew my own beer! Listen to my interconnects then you decide..if your worried bout being so so wrong? I wont expect a grovelling apology! Lol..(im trying to be funny..no offence intended)

Are you a full masher?
once i was...but i found the brew gut wrenching..now drink fruit tea! And roobios tea..roobios ice cold with lemon is quite good.low tannin and no caffeine.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
abacus said:
We're still waiting for verifiable proof that cables sound different, (One person’s opinion is just that, opinion not proof) however nothing seems to be forthcoming.

Bill
come round to my gaff..i brew my own beer! Listen to my interconnects then you decide..if your worried bout being so so wrong? I wont expect a grovelling apology! Lol..(im trying to be funny..no offence intended)

Are you a full masher?
once i was...but i found the brew gut wrenching..now drink fruit tea! And tea..roobios ice cold with lemon is quite good.low tannin and no caffeine.

I thought you were a brewer?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:

Bill

Can I come round to your place please?

Whereabouts in the world do you live?

You have a similar approach to hi-fi to myself and you come across as a really nice person - the sort that I'd be only too happy to share an evening with, listening to music and some hi-fi components.

I am contactable via pm on other UK based hi-fi forums (some of which I don't log on to very often).

K

keeper of the quays

lindsayt said:
abacus said:

Bill

Can I come round to your place please?

Whereabouts in the world do you live?

You have a similar approach to hi-fi to myself and you come across as a really nice person - the sort that I'd be only too happy to share an evening with, listening to music and some hi-fi components.

I am contactable via pm on other UK based hi-fi forums (some of which I don't log on to very often).
thats very kind, yes thats fine..i live in hastings.so if in my neck of the woods? Come and visit..ill even let you listen to my little homemade amp thingy for ipods..which in my view? Biased as it is..beats my main amp hands down! But you listen? Draw your own conclusion? Cheers..

Dom

Cable debates are controversial. I would like to add that the AudioQuest Jitter bug is probably not worth having in my system, Having tried it, I get a better sound without it, a more natural sound to my ears.

I would like to think a well made cable can make some difference. Try as many as you can before purchase.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
QED silver anniversary is a good cable - I'd recommend it to anyone after a clean balanced sound.

The better the speaker the more you can appreciate them - never heard Audioquest though.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
thats very kind, yes thats fine..i live in hastings.so if in my neck of the woods? Come and visit..ill even let you listen to my little homemade amp thingy for ipods..which in my view? Biased as it is..beats my main amp hands down! But you listen? Draw your own conclusion? Cheers..
I'm in West Yorkshire, but do come south from time to time.

BigH said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

Cables dont 'sound' silly but they sure can affect the signal ;-)

Paul Miller has done cable tests with accompanying measurements.

None measured the same.

Wheres that then, I can see some usb ones?
In Hifi News magazine he did impulse tests iirc on usb or hdmi cables; the ones that all sound the same because they are digital. And I think he provides resistance and inductance type measurements on speaker cables too. Hardly surprising that they differ, the issue is whether that makes one better than the other.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:

Bill

Edited for clarity (the thread has probably gone cold but the spam filter didn't help)

One could request with some validity that someone should prove that differences in the sound between cables doesn't exist. They may measure the same but that's another issue entirely. I do understand your point about opinion v fact - there lies the problem - proof.

This aspect of Hi Fi is the one that has captivated me the most & for the longest! I do not doubt that some cheap speaker cable or even cable used for speakers can sound better than exspensive stuff. The problem for me is when cable manufacturers let their over-paid marketing dicks write looads of bull masquarading as science. IMO, selling cable is in principle, no different to sell very high-end amplifiers CNC machined out of solid copper, you do not have to prove their superiority IF you don't make outlandish claims. Even if most amplifiers did sound the same, I may like to own one milled out of copper for its chassis!

You or I may absolutely believe what our ears tell us but we can't easily prove it! Someone please cite some scientifcally verifiable audio double blind ABX tests that prove a positive result - they always seem to prove the negative. Funny that, isn't it? However, it should be possible to test ABX as a worthwhile methodology or otherwise. Just include known differences such as channel imbalances, added harmonic distortion, etc, etc. If people can't hear measurable differences, how the hell are they going to hear subtle ones under such listening conditions?

I am personally very sceptical that DB ABX tests are anything but fairly useless - they rely on remembering in DETAIL fairly subtle differences. The only DB ABX audio results I heard about that prove a positive result compare speakers that often have very obvious differences. Lets forget audio for a moment & consider comparing the differences between 2 camera lenses of the same scene, focal length & aperture. We can examine 2 photos side by side simultaneously & compare a small segment for sharpness, going from one photo to the other until we build up a "picture" in our mind of any differences (if any exist). - If we looked at one picture then the other sequentially over time, any differences would be less obvious but that is effectively how we have to compare sounds! With audio we cannot meaningfully compare music simultaneously - we have to switch between devices quickly as possible. There's a problem with that as well, I sometimes don't notice differences until weeks later as in the case of ampliers when playing a familiar piece for the 1st time in ages.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

None measured the same.

Past issue of HN&RR. I got a copy amidst the many I have. I don't think I have the time to look for it today but will do so tomorrow (with Issue # and date). The test was measuring analogue Interconnect and speaker cables.

Some claim the differences measured are to small to be audible.

It seems clearly not.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
BigH said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

None measured the same.

Past issue of HN&RR. I got a copy amidst the many I have. I don't think I have the time to look for it today but will do so tomorrow (with Issue # and date). The test was measuring analogue Interconnect and speaker cables.

It seems clearly not.

Too small to be audible. Ive heard that, also i read that many of the the people who can hear the difference have been trained over many years, its no such hearing as noticing. Once you notice something in a recording such as siblance then you will always notice it. Many in the industry say there is little difference between cables and you are soon into diminishing returns. It seems that its most cables manufacturers and some audiophiles that support expensive cables. For me there are differences but I would not spend too much time and money over it. Reading the usb review I'm sure how reliable that test is, how stable is a laptop? Also someone bought the Chord Silver usb and he said yes at first it was impressive, in your face but after a short time it was fatiguing so he swopped back to his more analogue sounding one.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
BigH said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

Cables dont 'sound' silly but they sure can affect the signal  ;-)

None measured the same.

It seems clearly not.

If I recall right I was trying to explain this to TrevC the other week.....

Mentioned a 3,4,5 right angle triangle to try to demonstrate why there is no such thing as 'too small' with regards the math...

Ah well......

TrevC

busb said:
Without wishing to stir up a hornets of golden ears vs the half wits! There are clear differences between cable and interconnects and believe it or not? Speakers!!! But you need good kit to understand this simple truth..perhaps cooker cable? or that uber cheap speaker cable (the free stuff you get with midi systems) lol...my preference is QED

Sorry, you must be wrong - there can't possibly be any differences between speaker cables of similar cross-sectional area & conductor material, amplifiers of similar specification & all DACs sound the same. Do keep up man - engineering dictates that all these perceived differences are down to auto-suggested propaganda - if there's no scientific expalanation, these differences can only exist in the inferior minds such as yours & mine. Remember, if it can't be proved it can't exist - despite your own experience mistakenly telling you otherwise.
well? Come round to my house..ill put kettle on! Listen to my kit..then ill remove my lfd top of range two inch thick interconnects between power amp and pre amp..then ill put my vdh the name interconnects between said amp and pre? And you listen..if the difference isnt night and day? The name interconnect is a good one too! Then im a dutchman! Ps i just read your post more carefully! Lol..sorry i see your being ironic..so my post is aimed at the oafs who think all cables sound the same..it bloody not the case!!!!

Any screened wire will sound the same as any other screened wire. Coax, silver, copper, whatever. they will all sound identical in that application. Wire Interconnects of non-standard consruction can sound different because they can have resistors and all sorts of nonsense built in. You are probably imagining the differences, people do. The entire homeopathy fake medicine industry works in the same way. Check out the interconnects in this blind test. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
drummerman said:
BigH said:
drummerman said:
abacus said:

Bill

None measured the same.

It seems clearly not.

If I recall right I was trying to explain this to TrevC the other week.....

Mentioned a 3,4,5 right angle triangle to try to demonstrate why there is no such thing as 'too small' with regards the math...

Ah well......

The values of inductance, capacitance and resistance of a piece of screened wire are too small to have any audible effect on an audio signal at line level. Even one that is many metres long, like in this blind test. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

Of course speaker cables are different, they have to be low resistance, so those not up to the job (not thick enough) will sound different.

Please don't try and pretend to have a point when you don't. You are clueless.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
busb said:
Without wishing to stir up a hornets of golden ears vs the half wits! There are clear differences between cable and interconnects and believe it or not? Speakers!!! But you need good kit to understand this simple truth..perhaps cooker cable? or that uber cheap speaker cable (the free stuff you get with midi systems) lol...my preference is QED

Sorry, you must be wrong - there can't possibly be any differences between speaker cables of similar cross-sectional area & conductor material, amplifiers of similar specification & all DACs sound the same. Do keep up man - engineering dictates that all these perceived differences are down to auto-suggested propaganda - if there's no scientific expalanation, these differences can only exist in the inferior minds such as yours & mine. Remember, if it can't be proved it can't exist - despite your own experience mistakenly telling you otherwise.
well? Come round to my house..ill put kettle on! Listen to my kit..then ill remove my lfd top of range two inch thick interconnects between power amp and pre amp..then ill put my vdh the name interconnects between said amp and pre? And you listen..if the difference isnt night and day? The name interconnect is a good one too! Then im a dutchman! Ps i just read your post more carefully! Lol..sorry i see your being ironic..so my post is aimed at the oafs who think all cables sound the same..it bloody not the case!!!!

Any screened wire will sound the same as any other screened wire. Coax, silver, copper, whatever. they will all sound identical in that application. Wire Interconnects of non-standard consruction can sound different because they can have resistors and all sorts of nonsense built in. You are probably imagining the differences, people do. The entire homeopathy fake medicine industry works in the same way. Check out the interconnects in this blind test. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

Trev

My male bull terrier has had lots of health issues his whole life and ive spent thousands at the vets.
He now is 8 and his kidneys have started to go.

He got so bad that he would not even get up to walk.

Hes on loads of monthly injections. Tablets the lot.

Anyway last resort as was at the point thinking he would need putting out of misery.

So 3 months ago took him to an holistic vet.
2 weeks after hes running around again like a puppy jumping up like he was years ago. Hes even put on another 3 kg since 3 months (he lost 10kg)

TrevC

Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Any screened wire will sound the same as any other screened wire. Coax, silver, copper, whatever. they will all sound identical in that application. Wire Interconnects of non-standard consruction can sound different because they can have resistors and all sorts of nonsense built in. You are probably imagining the differences, people do. The entire homeopathy fake medicine industry works in the same way. Check out the interconnects in this blind test. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

Trev

My male bull terrier has had lots of health issues his whole life and ive spent thousands at the vets. He now is 8 and his kidneys have started to go.

Anyway last resort as was at the point thinking he would need putting out of misery.

So 3 months ago took him to an holistic vet. 2 weeks after hes running around again like a puppy jumping up like he was years ago. Hes even put on another 3 kg since 3 months (he lost 10kg)

So he recovered without having any treatment. It happens.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Any screened wire will sound the same as any other screened wire. Coax, silver, copper, whatever. they will all sound identical in that application. Wire Interconnects of non-standard consruction can sound different because they can have resistors and all sorts of nonsense built in. You are probably imagining the differences, people do. The entire homeopathy fake medicine industry works in the same way. Check out the interconnects in this blind test. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

Trev

My male bull terrier has had lots of health issues his whole life and ive spent thousands at the vets. He now is 8 and his kidneys have started to go.

So 3 months ago took him to an holistic vet. 2 weeks after hes running around again like a puppy jumping up like he was years ago. Hes even put on another 3 kg since 3 months (he lost 10kg)

Hes on lots of different tablets

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

There is another possibility which is way beyond what you could comprehend. (That something that is not officially scientifically approved can possibly work).

Whilst I wouldn't necesseraly use Andrewjvt's analogy to reason for cable effects (though I am happy for him and his terrier) they (cables) can clearly measure very different depending on construction and materials used. Paul Miller demonstrated that in his cable loom test.

You've asked me once what my system/s consist of and I forgot to answer so here it goes. A very, very modest set up by most standards;

Cyrus 8vs2 & PSX-R, Cyrus CD8x and Dad3q (currently in use) & PSX-R, Cyrus FM7.5 Tuner, CCA, Thorens TD115, Project Stage, Usher S520, Profigold Oxypure interconnects, NACA5 speaker cable, Audiofriendly silver power cables, Tacimas.

I also have a Sony STR-DB930 used for stereo only and with S-Video boards removed. I love this amplifier and could happily live with it in a main system. Anyway, due to lack of space I am not using this currently but it would normally be paired with some Mission speakers and a SL-7. Cables mostly by QED.

Either system, both of which are as far from high end as you can get are nevertheless revealing enough to demonstrate differences cables make.

TrevC

drummerman said:
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

There is another possibility which is way beyond what you could comprehend. (That something that is not officially scientifically approved can possibly work).

Whilst I wouldn't necesseraly use Andrewjvt's analogy to reason for cable effects (though I am happy for him and his terrier) they (cables) can clearly measure very different depending on construction and materials used. Paul Miller demonstrated that in his cable loom test.

You've asked me once what my system/s consist of and I forgot to answer so here it goes. A very, very modest set up by most standards;

Cyrus 8vs2 & PSX-R, Cyrus CD8x and Dad3q (currently in use) & PSX-R, Cyrus FM7.5 Tuner, CCA, Thorens TD115, Project Stage, Usher S520, Profigold Oxypure interconnects, NACA5 speaker cable, Audiofriendly silver power cables, Tacimas.

I also have a Sony STR-DB930 used for stereo only and with S-Video boards removed. I love this amplifier and could happily live with it in a main system. Anyway, due to lack of space I am not using this currently but it would normally be paired with some Mission speakers and a SL-7. Cables mostly by QED.

Either system, both of which are as far from high end as you can get are nevertheless revealing enough to demonstrate differences cables make.

I know you imagine all sorts.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

I know you imagine all sorts.

It's a great place on occasions

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

That is wonderfull and I'm happy it is going well. Doesn't matter how, it just is.

TrevC

Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

That is wonderfull and I'm happy it is going well. Doesn't matter how, it just is.

I agree. I thought my 17 year old cat was on the slippery slope but no, he recovered, all by himself.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

I agree. I thought my 17 year old cat was on the slippery slope but no, he recovered, all by himself.

My guess is he knew you were to tight to send him to the vet so he successfully sought homeopathic therapy himself.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
busb said:

Trev

My guess is he knew you were to tight to send him to the vet so he successfully sought homeopathic therapy himself.

I gave him homeopathic treatments at home by administeriring nothing.

I'm sure he loves you ... in his own way.

That or he's to old to escape :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts