Q Acoustics 2050i user looking for suitable amp

nlyh

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I own a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i speakers. I am looking for an amp to match up with them. Budget upto roughly £1500.

I just wanted to gather a few opinions here to see what people think before I go to demo a few products. I may be inclined to get an amp closer to the budget since I may upgrade the speakers at a later date.

Thanks.

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
The Naim XS looks good at £1450, also something from Cyrus. The Roksan M2 £1650 or Rega Elicit £1600, slightly more than your budget.

From the amp review section on here you should be able to build up a good list from which to demo.

T

the record spot

I'd suggest you consider some of the better AV amps out there too. I've been very impressed with mine and moreso as it gives me the functionality and connectivity I need as well as the sound quality too. YMMV.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the Rega Ellicit amp. It's expensive but should be good.

I would not go for an AV amp like the poster suggested above. You don't need the functionality and connectivity and the sound from a dedicated 2-channel amp will always be better in the same price range.

T

the record spot

Cypher said:
I would go for the Rega Ellicit amp. It's expensive but should be good.

I would not go for an AV amp like the poster suggested above. You don't need the functionality and connectivity and the sound from a dedicated 2-channel amp will always be better in the same price range.

I love "absolutes" don't you? All you need is an open mind and you'll work it out.

A dedicated two channel amp eh? Let's see, I've had a few in my time. Sansui AU-717, Leema Pulse II, Harman Kardon HK990, Marantz PM6010-KI, Harman Kardon HK6850....the list goes on. The AV amp I'm using now is as good as any of them. maybe the OP has his own mind and doesn't need to be "told" what good audio is. That's just your opinion and your trotting out stuff that no longer applies with the current crop of amps. Stone age thinking.

EDIT: I find it amazing how some of these myths continue to exist in hifi. AV amps have come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Noel Keywood at Hi Fi World regularly reviews Onkyo's amps and waxes lyrical over their musical capabilities. I've been through heaps of amps over the years so I reckon I'm not misleading anyone when I make my suggestion. Five years ago? Yes. Today? Not so clear cut. And the OP doesn't need to what? Hmm? Oh, you mean he wouldn't want to bi-amp his speakers? Or he'd never want to utilise the onboard 24/192 DAC? No? Are you sure?

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the background of being a poor student.... I always buy eveything second hand, maybe a pair of monoblock amps would be a good buy if you could get a warrenty for them, would probably be a different league to an integrated/av amp at that price.

As to the dedicated vs av amp debate above, demo everything you buy new and get the best for your ears. One thing I would say is make sure it can deal with hard to drive speakers: you mentioned that you may upgrade in the future. In general (someone more knowledgeable than me should confirm this) cheaper speakers tend to be easier to drive and don't need as much current delivery: the floorstanders you have are probably easier to drive than whatever you replace them with (if you do) so make sure the amp is future proof in that regard.

£1500 does seem like one hell of a budget for £400 floorstanders though?!?

.... A £250 ish arcam alpha 10 /nad c372/c370 leaves one hell of a budget for subwoofers. eg pair of bk xxls400 and a lot of beer.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nlyh said:
Hello

I own a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i speakers. I am looking for an amp to match up with them. Budget upto roughly £1500.

I just wanted to gather a few opinions here to see what people think before I go to demo a few products. I may be inclined to get an amp closer to the budget since I may upgrade the speakers at a later date.

Thanks.

What sources are you planning on using, could be important?

T

the record spot

Cypher said:
nlyh said:
Hello

I own a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i speakers. I am looking for an amp to match up with them.

So he has two speakers. (a pair). So he is looking for a 2 channel amp IMO.

Ummm, I've got two speakers? The point is...?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Trannies Trannies Trannies Trannies ,yawn this place is great dont you think.

Try and dem a valve amp just so you can at least hear your system with something different to the bloody norm.

1500 quid / QA 2050i. Icon Audio Stereo 40 MkIII , under budget. Unison Research Simply Italy ( dont baulk at the power ). Prima Luna Prologue 1.

Pure Sound A30. Any of these will drive your QAs easy peasy and will sound much much better than that transistor stuff :)

T

the record spot

Cypher said:
the record spot said:
Ummm, I've got two speakers? The point is...?

The point is that you should have bought a 2-channel amp then :twisted:

Of course, the two channel amp would let me bi-amp, give me several digital inputs, hook up an external hard drive via USB, give me internet connectivity....oh, what? It wouldn't do all of those things? And what, it might be some half-powered wonder as well? Oh and what, this Onkyo TX-NR818 sounds just as good as the amps I listed before but does do all of that?

Sorry, is there a debate about this anymore?

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
My nad 275 sounds as good as it gets ! Its now with the preamp c165 but It sounded very good in my marants av receiver when connected with pre-out too (it also has automatic on/off). With the c165 preamp you have a good phono and its within budget. Seperates are also good for upgrades compared to integrated whenever you want a better dac, phono, or just turn your cinema receiver into a decent music amp. Frankly the last thing I would upgrade is the 275 I know it will drive any speakers I will get. Anyway all amps mentioned above are good it depends on your upgrade path for the future thats why I wanted to show you a power amp.

Have fun, I almost miss when I was shopping around and trying different amps !

nad275bee.png

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah ,

You forgot to mention that if you want to try HC you can keep your speakers bi-amped and add another 3.1 speakers and that you can add power amps if needed :)

T

the record spot

You're right Jim lad, I could've done...but seeing as you just did, I shan't bother. Anyway, apparently, all the OP needs is a two channel amp... :O

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I woudn't spend that £1500. Save yourself some in the £500 price range from NAD, DENON . It will sound just as good. :)

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Biamp nad c372(+p272)/c370(+270)/

arcam alpha 9 +9p / 10/10p/

More neutral sound (subjective but I think) Rotel RA1062

If you're looking for a brighter sound cambridge audio 850/851 second hand?

£500 should do it really. Save the money/give it to charity/buy subwoofers is my advice.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Um said:
I woudn't spend that £1500. Save yourself some in the £500 price range from NAD, DENON . It will sound just as good. :)

Well I don't agree with you on this but I love the DAC (V90) you own. Got to hear it yesterday with a Marantz amp (PM6004) and it sounded really, really good !

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Um said:

Well I don't agree with you on this but I love the DAC (V90) you own. Got to hear it yesterday with a Marantz amp (PM6004) and it sounded really, really good !

yeah it's excellent

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts