PS3 3D vs dedicated 3D BD player...

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Quick question. I know I'm a little late to the Blu-Ray party but hopefully on time for the 3D part of the festivities...

Would a Sony PS3 be good enough for movies, esp 3D movies in comparison to a recent dedicated 3D BD player such as the Panasonic DMP-BDT310?

Is the 3D aspect of the PS3 any good? (I recall it was a firmware update) Or is it lame and good for games only???

I would be using it primarily for HD movies and some in 3D, (if Grand Turismo 5 shows up in the box, that's not my fault!). The planned TV at the moment is the Panasonic TX-P50VT30[/b]. Appreciate some help, esp from users who may have both devices.

Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Ps3 can't output HD audio from 3D Blu-rays at the same time as handling the picture, but otherwise it's a great 3D starting point.

You'll also need to consider your (excellent) receiver being pre-3D, too.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Clare,

Thanks for you fast reply. I guess that seals the fate of the PS3 for me. The Wii will have to carry on the games duty in our house and a new dedicated 3D BD player will join us in summer.

Yes am a bit bit dissapointed that after such a short time the rather pricey and (at the time) top spec AV receiver is already considered behind the curve in tech terms. But that's the tech game. It is also the reason why I am considering the Panasonic BD player as it has twin HDMI outputs.

Regards, TnA.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
The Ps3 can't output HD audio from 3D Blu-rays at the same time as handling the picture, but otherwise it's a great 3D starting point. You'll also need to consider your (excellent) receiver being pre-3D, too.

Also just to add, the old fat PS3 cannot output DTS MA 5.1 and True HD to the receiver on non 3D films, even in Bitstream mode you will only ever see PCM. The newer model can send the correct signal for decoding (Except 3D). So I would have to agree and say you need a stand alone Blu ray player.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
duaplex said:
Also just to add, the old fat PS3 cannot output DTS MA 5.1 and True HD to the receiver on non 3D films, even in Bitstream mode you will only ever see PCM.

...Although of course there's nothing wrong with the player decoding DTS/DD HD formats onboard and outputting them as PCM.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
not wish to sidetrack, but i wonder will manufacturers always offer players with dual hdmi outputs? Pansonic are for 2011.. but id' be worried a year or two down the line.. if my player packed in - will that solution always likely exist?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
micks_address said:
not wish to sidetrack, but i wonder will manufacturers always offer players with dual hdmi outputs? Pansonic are for 2011.. but id' be worried a year or two down the line.. if my player packed in - will that solution always likely exist?

This seems an unnecessary worry to me. If your current system remains functional for several years, you may be at a point where you'd like to upgrade your receiver anyway, in the unlikely event that no 3D-ready BDPs offer dual HDMI outs (or even multichannel analgue outputs).

Besides, the more likely scenario is that your system will continue to work for some time, after which you'll be concerned with whatever specifications the lastest tech throws at us.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
duaplex said:
Also just to add, the old fat PS3 cannot output DTS MA 5.1 and True HD to the receiver on non 3D films, even in Bitstream mode you will only ever see PCM.

...Although of course there's nothing wrong with the player decoding DTS/DD HD formats onboard and outputting them as PCM.

Very true, but is it not better for the AV to do this job. I thought the PS3 was somewhat inferior at decoding?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts