PROMETHEUS will knock our home theaters !!! (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
So, have ignored this thread until tonight when I saw the film at the Waterloo IMAX. A bit too close to the screen, but the cinema is fantastic. Only watched the first trailer before seeing the film, didn't read any reviews etc. so had no real info about film and no real expectations (other than the obvious ones being a big Alien fan). Very simply, my one word review for the film is...

Meh.

Done.

:rofl:

Kudos for taking the 'short & limited' rout with this "review" of yours. Nice contrast to the rest of us, hehe. I totally got what you meant.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
It's all very well nitpicking, but I bet there were people slagging off 2001 when it came out, and saying, "that's impossible", or "this is just pie in the sky stuff". with science fiction, are we only to believe what we can prove? With anything we can't prove, we have no frame of reference.

I still haven't saw 2001.... I did start to watch it many years ago but it was too boring and my mind wasnt child-like enough to grasp what they were tyring to achieve..... it is (my mind being child-like) now though so maybe I'll give it another look see and report what I think about it. ;)

Like I've said before Promethius was mega in picture and sound but not too clever otherwise (for me) I DID find they big baldy fellows scary nonetheless. I'd hope that there Will be a follow-up and these big baldy manacing fellows are the bad guys to be wrecking havok rather than the normal alien freaks.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Coming to a Forbidden Planet near you...

Prometheus_Pressure_Suit_1a__scaled_500.jpg

Figure height – 8.5″ tall

Ball Jointed Neck
Ball Jointed Shoulders
Ball Jointed Torso
Insert Molded Ball-Hinge Elbows
Ball Jointed Wrists
Ball Jointed Hips
Insert Molded Ball-Hinge Knees
Ball Jointed Ankles

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
ooh.. said:
A prequel to Alien??? Huh??

Looks like you didn't understand the film. That last xenomorph-like alien who burst out of the Engineer's chest was the prequel to the Alien series. Despite Dr. Shaw warning not to come to this moon looking for them, Weyland Corporation sends a team. It helped that I watched all 4 alien movies only last month :)

We watched the film today. I thought it was brilliant. We enjoyed every bit. Sure, there were some loose plots, but they were far less than the original Alien series'.

Remember that the film was shot entirely with 3D cameras. So the 2D was actually converted from 3D (presumably by ignoring pictures from one of the 2 lenses :? ). So true videophiles, wanting to watch as the director intended, should watch in 3D ;)
I got the general jist of it, but thought it was very poorly done, there was zero suspense, none of the crew had any sense of self preservation, and there were many silly moments, IMO.

Basically, I thought it was rubbish :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Unlike many I stayed away from the hype, I didn't actually know much about the film going in. I am a huge Aliens fan and all I knew was that the Space Jockey question would be answered. In conclusion it was a great film, granted it had plot holes and leaves questions unanswered for some, but this is why we will get a sequel ;)

Sound was great, but i found that it was booming way too much :roll: Still on Bluray this will be great so I cannot wait for its release! Finally new test material :grin:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
duaplex said:
Unlike many I stayed away from the hype, I didn't actually know much about the film going in. I am a huge Aliens fan and all I knew was that the Space Jockey question would be answered. In conclusion it was a great film, granted it had plot holes and leaves questions unanswered for some, but this is why we will get a sequel ;)

Sound was great, but i found that it was booming way too much :roll: Still on Bluray this will be great so I cannot wait for its release! Finally new test material :grin:

Hmm, experienced no "booming" at my local THX movie theater. Perhaps it was a fault with your theater? Maybe they need to re-calibrate their subwoofers? LOL

But yes, as flawed (IMO) as the movie was I'm sure we'll enjoy the A/V presentation on Blu-ray. Perhaps even a longer cut? Apparently october is the month of release (unofficial as of yet).

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting Possible major SPOILER for future plot line DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER if you don't want to know.

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

MMMMMM.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I'll add this one (plenty more about) as a possible plot plughole :grin:

Through Shaw and Holloway's investigations, we learn that the Engineers not only created human life, they supervised our development. (How else are we to explain the numerous images of Engineers in primitive art, complete with star diagram showing us the way to find them?) We have to assume, then, that for a good few hundred thousand years, they were pretty happy with us. They could have destroyed us at any time, but instead, they effectively invited us over; the big pointy finger seems to be saying 'Hey, guys, when you're grown up enough to develop space travel, come see us.' Until something changed, something which not only messed up our relationship with them but caused their installation on LV-223 to be almost entirely wiped out.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
v1c said:
Interesting Possible major SPOILER for future plot line DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER if you don't want to know.

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

MMMMMM.

"MMMMMM", indeed :eek:

Perhaps Ridley Scott is planning to segue a Prometheus prequel into Gladiator II? :grin:

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps Ridley Scott is planning to segue a Prometheus prequel into Gladiator II? :grin:

[/quote]

If Ridley Scott not involed we may get AVG :O

T

the record spot

Hadn't been to the cinema for a while, so it was nice to go back, however the 30 minutes of adverts at The Cameo in Edinburgh was not appreciated! So the supposed 9pm film finally kicked off at 9.30. No thanks, not impressed!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Hadn't been to the cinema for a while, so it was nice to go back, however the 30 minutes of adverts at The Cameo in Edinburgh was not appreciated! So the supposed 9pm film finally kicked off at 9.30. No thanks, not impressed!

LOL those never-ending pre-movie ads, yes. This is why I personally always turn up 15-20 mins "late"
smiley-wink.gif
Then again, I do risk missing some cool movie trailers, but I'll live.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ANLI said:
Sleepaphobic said:
Well I thought the characters were just so unbelievable. Any time they tried to show some emotion I just facepalmed myself as it was just so cheesy and artificial. In every seen a chracter does something that made no sense. The movie was at several times just laughable.

From what I remembered there were a few plot holes too but maybe I missed a few things. That's the optimist in me saying that.

In a nutshell it was like I was watching one of those slasher flicks with those stupid teens mixed with a bit of Lost. I never watched Lost but from what I hear they share similar flaws.

Now I was pretty much telling everybody to not bother but how many times have you taken somebody's advice from a forum? Definitely go see it just to be part of the conversation but I will tell you to not keep your hopes up. Go in with no expectations and you may just not want to rip your hair out at the end.

You hit the spot right there!

This may sound a bit harsh but Prometheus seems to be aimed at the less-than-discerning viewer demographic. I expected a more intelligent film seeing how it presented such grand ideas. Instead all I got was a pretty package with a plot and characters that made no sense. It insulted it's audience. As such, anyone should leave their brain at home if they choose (/make the mistake) to go see this. Or expect to be confounded by the film's ******** mediocrity, as I was.

Well said. I hear writer Damon Lindelof is getting flamed beyond belief right now by tons of moviegoers for his "efforts" on the script, lol. Poor guy. Though I may not be fully convinced by Ridley Scotts efforts in this film it ALWAYS starts with the script. I think one of the primary issues I had with this script was the ridiculous and lackluster dialogue. It made me twist and turn in my seat as the actors struggled to deliver it, with painfully uneven results. In contrast, the dialogue in 'Alien' (for example) was kept fantastically simple and natural. The exact opposite to this movie. Seeing 'Prometheus' reminded me yet again of just how important well-written dialogue is for connecting to characters and having involvement in the story. Perhaps especially in a science fiction flick.

TRENDING THREADS