PROMETHEUS will knock our home theaters !!! (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Finally saw one of the most anticipated films this year, and even though I was highly disappointed by the film itself (no spoilers) the sounddesign was f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c in the theater and I just cannot wait til it hits Blu-ray this fall to knock out my home theater, which I bet my foot it will. Tremendous soundmix which was very experimental and engrossing, in fact one of the best I've heard in a movietheater in a while. Even the score by Marc Streitenfeld sounded wonderful and lush. Even if the flick will let some of us down this will be a good workout for our favorite gadgets at home!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Agree with you about the Blu-ray..... seen it at the midnight showing on opening night no dissapointment here thought it's was great.

A

Anonymous

RickyDeg said:
Finally saw one of the most anticipated films this year, and even though I was highly disappointed by the film itself (no spoilers) the sounddesign was f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c in the theater and I just cannot wait til it hits Blu-ray this fall to knock out my home theater, which I bet my foot it will. Tremendous soundmix which was very experimental and engrossing, in fact one of the best I've heard in a movietheater in a while. Even the score by Marc Streitenfeld sounded wonderful and lush. Even if the flick will let some of us down this will be a good workout for our favorite gadgets at home!

Hi Ricky

Was the film that bad was looking forward to watching it?

T

the record spot

Saw the film on Saturday - loved it. Good story, nice take on things and wonderful cinematography. Really enjoyed it - best in Alien series after the original. Knocks the rest into a cocked hat IMO.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Saw it last night (Mon). Magnificent.

Noomi Rapace is mega, Michael Fassbender is excellent and Charlize Theron is mighty fine. (But the Birkenstock-wearing is deeply disturbing.)

And, FWIW, it was the first and last time I'll watch a film in 3D - a pointless gimmick that's also very distracting.

Suspect the Blu-ray version will include a director's cut - an extra 30 mins, at least? :?

Worth noting the planet is not LB-426 and according to Ridley Scott, there're "at least" two more instalments planned... :grin:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
mannyjarnail said:
Hi Ricky

(I'll try to keep this spoiler-free)

Went into this movie with an open mind wanting to love it. Expectations were high, though not unrealistically so. While production values are good (effects, cinematography, score, sound) the film is plagued by a plot without structure, poor pacing, lack of impact and true emotion. Direction is scattered all over the place and characters behave irrationally, unfitting to the situation. Most actors feel miscast aswell, apart from possibly Michael Fassbender. Dialogue is surprisingly 'off' and some questionable design choices makes me wonder why they couldn't hire H.R. Giger exclusively to work his bizarre magic (the look of the mysterious space jockey race and other creatures are generic and unimaginative). In my humble opinion all of the above resulted in a lack of believability, tension and suspence taking me out of the story as oppose to drawing me in. The opposite of what 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner' managed to do (and many other goods films, mind you). Not comparing this film with those directly though, just FYI, but since Ridley Scott is involved.

This is ashmed. They had great potential here, but in my opinion they failed on almost every account, mainly due to the script but also because of the direction. Ridley Scott can do better than this. Much better. Or atleast, he use to.

I'd say you should definitely go see it. As far as I'm concerned this movie will split audiences in two. You might like it. Me and the friends I went with were not happy with it. We left the theater more puzzled than pleased and excited.

A

Anonymous

RickyDeg said:
mannyjarnail said:
Hi Ricky

(I'll try to keep this spoiler-free)

Went into this movie with an open mind wanting to love it. Expectations were high, though not unrealistically so. While production values are good (effects, cinematography, score, sound) the film is plagued by a plot without structure, poor pacing, lack of impact and true emotion. Direction is scattered all over the place and characters behave irrationally, unfitting to the situation. Most actors feel miscast aswell, apart from possibly Michael Fassbender. Dialogue is surprisingly 'off' and some questionable design choices makes me wonder why they couldn't hire H.R. Giger exclusively to work his bizarre magic (the look of the mysterious space jockey race and other creatures are generic and unimaginative). In my humble opinion all of the above resulted in a lack of believability, tension and suspence taking me out of the story as oppose to drawing me in. The opposite of what 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner' managed to do (and many other goods films, mind you). Not comparing this film with those directly though, just FYI, but since Ridley Scott is involved.

This is ashmed. They had great potential here, but in my opinion they failed on almost every account, mainly due to the script but also because of the direction. Ridley Scott can do better than this. Much better. Or atleast, he use to.

I'd say you should definitely go see it. As far as I'm concerned this movie will split audiences in two. You might like it. Me and the friends I went with were not happy with it. We left the theater more puzzled than pleased and excited.

thanks for the info.

A

Anonymous

Me and my bf were disappointed by the film aswell (story was very forced and awkward), but yes atleast the effects and sound was good so that'll be nice in our hometheater! :p

A

Anonymous

i agree a little mis-jointed for my likeing, the pace changes erractically and the story is a little similar / predictable. On the plus side the sound design and picture quality where awesome and i felt the 3D really added to immense nature of sets.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll probably find that those that have got a bit too excited over the movie have maybe anticipated a little too much. You see this every time a big name movie hits the screens. Those that have stayed away from the hype and the many thousands of trailers will more than likely find the film more enjoyable. I'll hopefully be seeing it in the next few days. I've not got too worked up about it, and have only read what people have posted on a few forums, which seems to be a 50/50 split between this that thought it was great and those that felt it was a let down.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You'll probably find that those that have got a bit too excited over the movie have maybe anticipated a little too much. You see this every time a big name movie hits the screens. Those that have stayed away from the hype and the many thousands of trailers will more than likely find the film more enjoyable. I'll hopefully be seeing it in the next few days. I've not got too worked up about it, and have only read what people have posted on a few forums, which seems to be a 50/50 split between this that thought it was great and those that felt it was a let down.

I've heard alot of people say that. In my case even without the expectation I know I still would have been disappointed. 3 of the 7 friends I went with to the premiere hadn't payed any attention to the hype, unlike the rest of us, and we were all equally disappointed. I wasn't expecting another masterpiece or an instant classic. The writing and direction is simply too flawed, regardless. Having that said, I'm still gonna see this again on Blu-ray just to marvel at the home theater experience!

RickyDeg said:

Hi RickyDeg

Thanks :) Although its Blu Ray disc is going have have to go some way to match or better some existing references.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Sleepaphobic

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Movie was a disaster. Went in hoping for big things but it turned out to be a waste of time. Dialogue, story, and acting was poor with the exception of Fassbender. If you can stomach all that then you have to suspend all disbelief and put up with the most irrational characters and situations. So, if you can call a movie with great special effects and a solid performance by 1 actor a good movie then yes this is a good movie.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Disaster?!

A tad strong, but does anyone agree with this?

In some ways, yes, I could agree with PROMETHEUS being somewhat of a 'disaster'. Depends on how you look at it of course. Like I mentioned earlier the only positives I got from the film were the superficials - but high production values alone does not a good movie make (an often repeated mistake in Hollywood, no?). Seeing Theron and Rapace in skintight lycra was nice though.

In my small country the film had close to 100.000 visitors the opening weekend, which is close to a record here. Now I continue to read tons and tons of negative reflections from people and word-of-mouth is overwhelmingly bad. Some (less demaning?) moviegoers will like it though.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
This film has undoubtedly divided opinion with alot of criticism being aimed at Plot , characters, reality checks , lazy film making etc etc..

IMO Ridley Scott made absolutely the film he wanted to make... to take back his original creation and give it a new direction with a backdrop of the biggest questions we as a human race have to ask "What,where,why,how did we come to being". This is evident thoughout the film. I feel it reflects on us as a human race through time past, present + future. Standard SCIFI/Horror with a deep subtextul core underneath.
That's how i saw it.

If you got a problem with the film that's your problem not Ridleys.

I'd be interested to see if opinion changes with the repeat veiwing on blu-ray..... i always remember watching Ocean 11 and thinking it was rubbish and when i watched it sometime later again i loved it so i know you can change your mind about a film.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
v1c said:
This film has undoubtedly divided opinion with alot of criticism being aimed at Plot , characters, reality checks , lazy film making etc etc..

IMO Ridley Scott made absolutely the film he wanted to make... to take back his original creation and give it a new direction with a backdrop of the biggest questions we as a human race have to ask "What,where,why,how did we come to being". This is evident thoughout the film. I feel it reflects on us as a human race through time past, present + future. Standard SCIFI/Horror with a deep subtextul core underneath.
That's how i saw it.

If you got a problem with the film that's your problem not Ridleys.

I'd be interested to see if opinion changes with the repeat veiwing on blu-ray..... i always remember watching Ocean 11 and thinking it was rubbish and when i watched it sometime later again i loved it so i know you can change your mind about a film.

Despite what I think of the film I'm looking forward to my next viewing (on Blu-ray) regardless, but mostly just for the home theater experience. A close friend whose taste I fully trust saw it again last night though, and all he got out of his 2nd view were more evident flaws, so I'm doubtful. And sorry, but I dont agree that if a film lacks the ability to engage me it's my problem - it's the films problem (not soley "blaming" Ridley Scott here). I'm just the spectator, not the creator. But no one film can please everyone. Divided opinions will always exist. We all know this.

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
FWIW,

I am a diehard Alien fan, and I too was disappointed at the way the story went. My first words at the end were "that's gonna get panned".

After 2 days reflection, I doubt that I would have said anything different, but pleasing the Alienheads would always have been difficult regardless.

I won't try and discuss the film here, just wish it would have been different.

Lastly, I agree that it is a first class production and yes I will be buying it on Blu ray 3D. To anyone who has not yet seen it, I will say the same as I told one of my Alien nut house mates, go see it and see it at an IMAX if you can, what you think of the story is up to you but you have to see it.

Bit contradictory I know, but for my own reasons I was disappointed. However rather like Alien 3 I think the film grow on me later after the frustration dies down

A

Anonymous

Again I have to say the premise of the entire film and the actions and reactions of some of the characters were so badly excecuted it was almost insulting to an audiences intelligence, despite this being fantasy sci-fic. What was worse, I could not relate to a single character on screen, in contrast to a multitude of other characters Ridley has directed in other films. The script and screenplay might to blame here I think? In terms of sci-fic this is mediocre at best. Oh what could have been.........

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Ricky. As a big fan of Alien and to a lesser extent the rest of the franchise I was dissapointed with the storyline and characters but thought the acting was up to scratch. As a piece of cinema it could not be faulted, the picture and sound were impeccable, It was as though Ridley was forced into making a "Prequel" (sorry Charlise), and had to come up with something.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Like I said elsewhere on the forum after watching it that evening I too wrote in to say that I was dissapointed with it.

I thought the whole visual thing was fantastic though and saw it in 3D.

From my own observasion I thought the enficise was more on HOW the movie looked and sounded rather than the actual storyline.

I thought that it was going to be nore along the lines of Alien though I was hoping for the type of action sequences in Aliens so maybe this also added to me feeling a bit off about how much I liked it ?

I will howerver still buy it to watch again.

TRENDING THREADS