PROMETHEUS will knock our home theaters !!! (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
I'm trying to think of a film franchise where the original or reboot was critically panned, yet subsequent films in the franchise restored the reputation of the original film. I honestly can't think of a single example, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I hated the first Twilight film, but subsequent films were a lot better. Also Hulk / Incredible Hulk.

Prometheus sequel should answer a lot of questions of the original, & as a complete trilogy should be very good. Of course, I don't expect you to believe that. :)

Well, the Twilight saga got even worse before it got (slightly) better, and I'd defy anyone to make a serious case for any of the films being particularly good.

As for Incredible Hulk, I haven't seen it, but was it a sequel, as such? Resorting to your tactics, :) "top critics" aggregated on Rotten Tomatoes prefer Hulk to Incredible Hulk, though neither were viewed that favourably.

Your statement that the "Prometheus sequel should answer a lot of questions of the original, & as a complete trilogy should be very good" also seems rather presumptuous. They did a pretty good job of messing up the story world in Prometheus, in my view. Who's to say later instalments won't make things worse?

In the main, I was responding to the claim that sequels typically recuperate a bad or mediocre original, which seems far from true in general.

As I say, on a technical level, Prometheus was a fantastic accomplishment (I actually thought the 3D was subtle and effective).

Anyway, I'm not being purposefully combative, just stating my view...

T

the record spot

Yep, lots alright. Lots of people with an inability to sit back and just watch a film. With all the dissecting going on in there, there must've been a clinician's night out! Guys, it's just a movie - can only assume that these people must be hacked off with most of the sci-fi movies out there given the number of dumb things some of the actors do. You could pick nits about the genre all night.

Anyway, interesting to see that the ratings on Rotten Tomatoes don't bear out what some of the morbidly gobby ones have been saying: 73% approval rating, average score 3.7 out of 5. Yep, really falling off the crapometer this one is...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Paulthefilmfan said:
I think it's pretty fair to say that the film is basically a showcase/set-up plot for the following two films or more! dun..dun..dun. This has been done before with many films and when looking back at them after the other's have been made they usually hold their own.

Not to be confrontational, but can you provide evidence to support this point? There's usually a law of diminishing returns with sequels (or sequels to the prequel, in this case). It's generally recognised that Attack of the Clones was a fist-bitingly awful film, for instance, while Revenge of the Sith was also a howler and a bore. I'm trying to think of a film franchise where the original or reboot was critically panned, yet subsequent films in the franchise restored the reputation of the original film. I honestly can't think of a single example, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Hmm. Lord of the rings is the best I can think of. I tend to agree with you tho.

F

FunkyMonkey

If I cannot decide to watch a film or not, I check on IMDB. If it scores >7, that does it for me. So I will watch but not buy, having not been arsed about a film that is part of yet another overrated sci Di franchise from the 70s and 80s. Others include Blade Runner and Star Wars. Yawnfests.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Disaster?!

A tad strong, but does anyone agree with this?

I myself liked the movie well enough as I said earlier in this thread :)

I was messing around online and came across what the folk in that pasted site were saying and decided to paste the link in here in reply to what the FrankHarvey fellow said was all... though for whatever reason the quote part didn't show (maybe I never clicked it properly?)

Anyway, it's good that all the birdies don't sing the same song :)

I've watched it again since seeing it in the cinema... was alright fun depite the failings in dialogue etc.Loads of up-to-date movies have bad, bad dialogue, not just sci-fi ones.

buzz_lightclick

I enjoyed the epic visuals and sound watching this at the cinema, but like others I was disappointed with the narrative and dialogue. I will probably purchase the blu ray as a test for my home cinema system, and also to see the alternate beginning and end to the film included as extras.

I think the studio must have been on to something in making this film though, judging by the 180+ replies in this thread from people who have watched it compared to the lack of discussion of other films!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
It's all very well nitpicking, but I bet there were people slagging off 2001 when it came out, and saying, "that's impossible", or "this is just pie in the sky stuff". with science fiction, are we only to believe what we can prove? With anything we can't prove, we have no frame of reference.

But the difference for me is that I can suspend belief with “2001”, as I can with the original “Alien”.

I couldn’t suspend this belief with any of the sequels, and very sadly I couldn’t with this. The original “Alien” means a lot to me, and if this movie had been made by anyone else I wouldn’t have looked at it for a second.

My huge disappointment, however, is not with the movie per se, but with Ridley Scott: the original “Alien” was a legacy for me and this somehow has tarnished it.

A

Anonymous

;)
strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
I'm trying to think of a film franchise where the original or reboot was critically panned, yet subsequent films in the franchise restored the reputation of the original film. I honestly can't think of a single example, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I hated the first Twilight film, but subsequent films were a lot better. Also Hulk / Incredible Hulk.

Prometheus sequel should answer a lot of questions of the original, & as a complete trilogy should be very good. Of course, I don't expect you to believe that. :)

Well, the Twilight saga got even worse before it got (slightly) better, and I'd defy anyone to make a serious case for any of the films being particularly good.

As for Incredible Hulk, I haven't seen it, but was it a sequel, as such? Resorting to your tactics, :) "top critics" aggregated on Rotten Tomatoes prefer Hulk to Incredible Hulk, though neither were viewed that favourably.

Your statement that the "Prometheus sequel should answer a lot of questions of the original, & as a complete trilogy should be very good" also seems rather presumptuous. They did a pretty good job of messing up the story world in Prometheus, in my view. Who's to say later instalments won't make things worse?

In the main, I was responding to the claim that sequels typically recuperate a bad or mediocre original, which seems far from true in general.

As I say, on a technical level, Prometheus was a fantastic accomplishment (I actually thought the 3D was subtle and effective).

Anyway, I'm not being purposefully combative, just stating my view...
Nice late reply from myself. Anyway, i may have gone off a bit on talking about the sequels part but i agree with the movies other's have mentioned plus 'Empire strikes back' was a decent sequel even if the next was not and 'Aliens' too but anyhow the main point i was trying to make which you missed is that 'Prometheus' was a show-case film to start another trilogy off giving us a 'taste' but not really answering all that much which the later films hopefully will.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Sizzers said:
But the difference for me is that I can suspend belief with “2001”, as I can with the original “Alien”.

I couldn’t suspend this belief with any of the sequels, and very sadly I couldn’t with this. The original “Alien” means a lot to me, and if this movie had been made by anyone else I wouldn’t have looked at it for a second.

My huge disappointment, however, is not with the movie per se, but with Ridley Scott: the original “Alien” was a legacy for me and this somehow has tarnished it.

The point you raise here is intersting. 2001 and Alien were original and unique. The sequels wern't and you couldn't suspend belief which made it harder for you to like them. Alien was realesed in 1977 35 years ago there has been a further 35 year film history feed into your psyche before watching Prometheus. Would any story have meet your approval. I don't feel Alien has been tarnished at all only enhanced (talk AVP for tarnishing) and that is down to Ridley's involement. Maybe if someone else had made it i wouldn't like it so much , but the thought of a human DNA related Alien is interesting to me. It has opened up a whole host of new questions , how does the Alien end up on LV426 , is the Alien formed from the engineer the first or do they already exist , is the ship on LV 426 something to do with David and Rapace ? lots and lots of questions. To me it has taken a generic Alien horror story told in a unique way and expanded it into a whole universe of possiblities. I think whether you like it or not is very much reliant on your imagination as much as what your being shown.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little late to this party but I finally rented the bluray last Saturday.

After all of the negative comments about the film I wasn't expecting much, to my surprise though I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The story was moved along swiftly without too much explanation which leaves you to speculate about what certain parts mean. Obviously all these questions will be answered in the following films, I am now quite looking forward to the sequels. There were a few silly parts in the film which left you scratching your head though, I mean for starters would you take your bloody helmet off on a distant planet while standing in a UFO :roll: and would you be able to run around like a hooligan after having an alien extracted from your stomach, I don't think so. But if you take these parts as a little tongue in cheek its not a bad film. After watching the original Alien a few months back and falling asleep midway (it was that exciting) this was quite refreshing.

A

Anonymous

Just watched the Blu-ray last week. Absolutely superb film and picture quality. The trick is to switch off and just enjoy rather than pick holes.....thoroughly enjoyable. Fassbender and Rapace were excellent. :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
v1c said:
Alien was realesed in 1977 35 years ago there has been a further 35 year film history feed into your psyche before watching Prometheus.

Not at all.

Firstly the opening fell totally flat for me. A cave painting is found on the Isle of Skye which happened to match a handful of other cave paintings elsewhere on earth, then fast forward and suddenly you’re in orbit around the planet. There were some retrospective reasons for the mission courtesy of a hologram, but there was just nothing there to draw me in to the movie for the first hour.

Much, much worse, though, were the characters. I had no connection or empathy with any of them, and the only one which illicited any response in me was “David”, the camp android (the“baddy” in the movie as in with HAL, Ash, et al). Noomi Rapace had her moment, principally the sequence when she escaped from the quarantine room to get the “Alien” removed, but there was nothing in any of the characters for me to care or to be inspired about

I very deliberately never read one single review or opinion of this movie before buying the Blu-ray - including this post - as I wanted to approach it with a completely open mind. I never enjoyed any of the “Alien” sequels as for me they lost the sheer simplicity of the original , but I guess this is what happens when you turn a “budget” success in to a multi-million dollar franchise

Only my personal experience, of course, and each to their own as I would never knock anyone's personal enjoyment.

A

Anonymous

Well said, I agree. Although i am not sure about the first hour but certainly the start was not exactly inspiring. I Especially agree with the Fassbender comment, he was fantastic! :grin:

Bertie1

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Got the blu ray.

Didn't think about it to much and really enjoyed it.

Lovely picture and sound and there was a sense of doom almost all the way through.

Don't however mention the Willy Wonka whistle and marshmallow buttons... :hand:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Paulthefilmfan said:
Nice late reply from myself. Anyway, i may have gone off a bit on talking about the sequels part but i agree with the movies other's have mentioned plus 'Empire strikes back' was a decent sequel even if the next was not and 'Aliens' too but anyhow the main point i was trying to make which you missed is that 'Prometheus' was a show-case film to start another trilogy off giving us a 'taste' but not really answering all that much which the later films hopefully will.

Right, but Star Wars and Alien were praised by critics almost unequivocally upon their respective theatrical releases, while Prometheus received mixed reviews at best.

The argument doesn't stand up when you cite examples where the original film was very highly regarded. If, say, Howard the Duck 2 had been made and was justifiably considered a masterpiece, your argument would be more persuasive. I'm not arguing that there are no good sequels. A handful of sequels are better than the original film. I was merely questioning your claim that bad original films usually produce great sequels. To state this as a rule of thumb seems a little odd.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Bertie1 said:
Got the blu ray.

Didn't think about it to much and really enjoyed it.

Lovely picture and sound and there was a sense of doom almost all the way through.

Don't however mention the Willy Wonka whistle and marshmallow buttons... :hand:

Marshmallow buttons? Personally I saw hard-boiled egg buttons ;)

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash said:
Paulthefilmfan said:

Right, but Star Wars and Alien were praised by critics almost unequivocally upon their respective theatrical releases, while Prometheus received mixed reviews at best.

The argument doesn't stand up when you cite examples where the original film was very highly regarded. If, say, Howard the Duck 2 had been made and was justifiably considered a masterpiece, your argument would be more persuasive. I'm not arguing that there are no good sequels. A handful of sequels are better than the original film. I was merely questioning your claim that bad original films usually produce great sequels. To state this as a rule of thumb seems a little odd.
That's fine, and good that we agree on something, everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion any way. I did go on to explain that what you are saying was not my main point and it was a bit rash i admit, but hey... as long as 'Mr Ridley Scott' is taking note of all this, as i sense some impending doom for the sequel if answers most of us want are not provided.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Paulthefilmfan said:
That's fine, and good that we agree on something, everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion any way. I did go on to explain that what you are saying was not my main point and it was a bit rash i admit, but hey... as long as 'Mr Ridley Scott' is taking note of all this, as i sense some impending doom for the sequel if answers most of us want are not provided.

Agreed, I've no wish to squabble. I do fear that Ridley Scott and co. have bitten off more than they can chew in trying to construct a narrative that explains the origins of man while seeking to reconcile scientific and religious thinking. I think such ambition was rather foolhardy. Sure, you can view Prometheus as a simple entertainment and accept the Chariots of the Gods premise as a narrative device (or McGuffin, to borrow Hitchcock's term), but the filmmakers might have been better served by a simpler approach that didn't corrupt the original story world to such an annoying degree.

T

the record spot

v1c said:
The point you raise here is intersting. 2001 and Alien were original and unique. The sequels wern't and you couldn't suspend belief which made it harder for you to like them. Alien was realesed in 1977 35 years ago there has been a further 35 year film history feed into your psyche before watching Prometheus. Would any story have meet your approval. I don't feel Alien has been tarnished at all only enhanced (talk AVP for tarnishing) and that is down to Ridley's involement. Maybe if someone else had made it i wouldn't like it so much , but the thought of a human DNA related Alien is interesting to me. It has opened up a whole host of new questions , how does the Alien end up on LV426 , is the Alien formed from the engineer the first or do they already exist , is the ship on LV 426 something to do with David and Rapace ? lots and lots of questions. To me it has taken a generic Alien horror story told in a unique way and expanded it into a whole universe of possiblities. I think whether you like it or not is very much reliant on your imagination as much as what your being shown.

This post sums it up near perfectly for me.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
More interesting developments Prometheus/Alien could directly share the Blade Runner Universe. I thought of this while watching for the third time and low and behold check on the web and speculation is a foot. Could Guy pearce appear in Blade Runner sequal as a young Peter Weyland ? Would expalin why they took the effort to age a young actor.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Finally saw it for first time on Blu-ray last night. Enjoyed it, and look forward to future viewings to see if any of the plotholes close up, by seeing things I missed first time round. At the moment I'm torn between thinking (like 'Lost') that Damon Lindelhof is just a MacGuffin-obsessed p****tease of a writer and that Ridley's done a decent job of directng a deliberately ambiguous film.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts