Problems with Synology NAS set up.......

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I succumbed to the idea of a NAS, to store and replay my music collection.

So I have purchased the ubiquitous Synology DS212J with two WD Red 3TB HDDs.

My problem is that after loading the Assistant software, to install the DSM, I cannot get past the screen to select my model.

On selecting DiskStation, Not Installed, the next screen is Welcome to the set up wizard.

So I should then select the path of installation file, however when I select browse, I get a list of what is on the Assistant disc.

I have watched a video on Youtube and at this point I believe I should see the option to chose the DS212J, so that it can install the DSM and format the HDDs.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks Richard......

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks BB for the reply, unfortunately my problem is more fundamental than that. I can't even select a Synology device at the first stage, when prompted to give a route for the installation file.

Nothing appears in the box at Browse stage, if I click Browse, it appears the contents of the Assistant disc is displayed.....?

I recently did a full system install from Windows Vista to W7 Pro, with the help of Microsofts' advice pages ( as previously mentioned in other posts I am computer dumb ) and some of the programs I had, have had to be put back on, for instance I didn't have Adobe PDF reader, until I tried to read the Synology disc !!

And I just wonder if my Sony Vaio laptop is missing something to enable me to progress.......so if any of you clever PC bods out there can help, it would be appreciated.

It's rather frustrating having this amount of money/technology sat there doing nothing.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Here are some screen shots to show where I am...........

synology1.png

I can't see the screen shots.

Let me get this right; you have run the installation CD but are not able to install the software? Same thing happened to me. I opened the CD folder & double clicked the assistant application to run the software.

You should be able to see your Synology product there.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Screenshots are very small, but by opening the image in a new tab, I can see it's looking for the DSM software to install on the Diskstation. I think this is included in the CD that came with the Diskstation, but you're probably better off downloading the latest version from here anyway (just click and then choose a location to download that file to on your hard drive)

Once done, point the resulting window when you click Browse to the location of the downloaded file above and this should get it under way.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

Big thanks to bigboss and professorhat...:cheers: ...somethings happening now....:dance: ...the discs are finally verifying, so I guess I have a long wait whilst this happens !!

I'm sure I will be back for more advice...the next problem I will have is how to transfer my iTunes library, which is on an external HDD to the Synologys' HDDs......oh the fun..not..!!!

If I could, I would take you both out for a pint and a natter...would learn/understand lots I'm sure..........

Watch this space....Richard.......cheers

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Big thanks to bigboss and professorhat...:cheers: ...somethings happening now....:dance: ...the discs are finally verifying, so I guess I have a long wait whilst this happens !!

I'm sure I will be back for more advice...the next problem I will have is how to transfer my iTunes library, which is on an external HDD to the Synologys' HDDs......oh the fun..not..!!!

If I could, I would take you both out for a pint and a natter...would learn/understand lots I'm sure..........

Watch this space....Richard.......cheers

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Providing iTunes is pointing to the external HD, I used these instructions when I moved all my media to my ds212j

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for the help so far to all........

However although it appears the DiskStation System is now created, my computer cannot see it.

It appears on the network, but not sure how to direct my iTunes library to it, as I do not have a drive prefix (?)....

See I told you I wasn't computer savvy !!

Help, as always required............ta.......

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for the help so far to all........

However although it appears the DiskStation System is now created, my computer cannot see it.

It appears on the network, but not sure how to direct my iTunes library to it, as I do not have a drive prefix (?)....

See I told you I wasn't computer savvy !!

Help, as always required............ta.......

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Reading your help with the synology NAS set up, you are obviously experienced NAS streamers, I was wondering if you have had problems streaming bluray’s. I have ripped all my own dvds using DVDFAB or HandBreak making either MKV to mp4 or direct to mp4 files to go the synology and they all stream and play as they should. I have also started ripping my bluray’s in the same fashion, my problem is that when they play it stutters. This happens through my hardwired network to my Pioneer SC LX83 to the KPR 600A or via wireless to the Pioneer PDP 50 via the Panasonic BDT220. When the same ripped bluray file is played directly on the computer it runs perfectly. It is as though the networked pioneer systems can not cope with the amount of streaming data when it’s a bluray being played. Any ideas?

Edited by mods for clarity.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi BB, have watched the video....again, lol......the Diskstation is showing on my network, but I'm still unsure how to direct iTunes to it, which at present is on an external HDD........I don't want to lose nearly 1TB of music, couldn't face re-ripping that again.

Cheers R.......

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
kj-GB said:
Hi Guys

Reading your help with the synology NAS set up, you are obviously experienced NAS streamers, I was wondering if you have had problems streaming bluray’s. I have ripped all my own dvds using DVDFAB or HandBreak making either MKV to mp4 or direct to mp4 files to go the synology and they all stream and play as they should. I have also started ripping my bluray’s in the same fashion, my problem is that when they play it stutters. This happens through my hardwired network to my Pioneer SC LX83 to the KPR 600A or via wireless to the Pioneer PDP 50 via the Panasonic BDT220. When the same ripped bluray file is played directly on the computer it runs perfectly. It is as though the networked pioneer systems can not cope with the amount of streaming data when it’s a bluray being played. Any ideas?

Edited by mods for clarity.

Whilst amps/tvs etc can stream dvd quality directly - for streaming blu-rays I'd recommend a dedicated streamer. Should be able to pick one up for around (£90) as you dont need one with a HD.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
OK chaps seems like Ive now got the Synology onto my network and it has appeared as Drive Z.

So to copy my iTunes from the external HDD, is it as simple as just copying the whole HDD across to the Synology, before redirecting iTunes to Drive Z ?

Sorry if this seems simplistic, but that's the level I can understand.....lol

Regards R.....

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
OK chaps seems like Ive now got the Synology onto my network and it has appeared as Drive Z.

So to copy my iTunes from the external HDD, is it as simple as just copying the whole HDD across to the Synology, before redirecting iTunes to Drive Z ?

Sorry if this seems simplistic, but that's the level I can understand.....lol

Regards R.....

I have designated drive W for pictures, X for video & Y for music. In music, there is a folder "iTunes". Opening the folder, there's another folder called "iTunes Music" where all the albums are saved. Besides iTunes Music, there's a folder called Album Artwork. I think this came up automatically when I copied my iTunes music folder.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks BB for the video link, hadn't seen that before I posted the last time.

Seems like I'm finally on the way to achieving my goal....all due to the advice BB, professorhat and Chisy1 have given, thanks chaps........

Just one last question, for the moment anyway, it would appear that transferring nearly 1TB of music is going to take approx. 5 days, does this seem about right or can I transfer it quicker another way ?

For now..R....

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
PH, Copy and paste, from external HDD to Diskstation.......

It has been running over 24 hrs so far and managed approx. 200GB. Hence my approximation at 5 days to do the lot.

R.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts