Problems with Sky Switching from SD to HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I seem to be having some problems (intermittently) when switching from SD channels to HD or vice versa. When i change channels sometimes the screen will go blank but if i press the info or menu button in will bring this info up also if on BBC the red dot in the top right still shows, I can go into the channel menu and change channels and this solves the problem.

Sky have been out today and changed the box, i have also had parts replaced on my TV and i have tried different HDMI cables and have also tried hooking up the sky direct to the TV, but it still presists.

I am clueless as to why this is happening

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
mark8par:
I seem to be having some problems (intermittently) when switching from SD channels to HD or vice versa. When i change channels sometimes the screen will go blank but if i press the info or menu button in will bring this info up also if on BBC the red dot in the top right still shows, I can go into the channel menu and change channels and this solves the problem.

Sky have been out today and changed the box, i have also had parts replaced on my TV and i have tried different HDMI cables and have also tried hooking up the sky direct to the TV, but it still presists.

I am clueless as to why this is happening

Have you/did you go into the Settings menu on the Sky box?

For the picture output there are various settings, most importantly 1080i and Automatic

1080i will upscale from the Sky box and there will be no delay (black screen) when changing from SD to HD and vice versa

Automatic will deliver the picture to your screen in it's output formats viz 1080i for HD and 576p for SD and allow the screen to upscale, this results in a delay as the tv reconfigures itself to accept the incoming picture information to suit the screen output

Did your Sky tech not take you through this?

A

Anonymous

Yes and i accept what you are saying although i do not mind the delay as the receiver i have will do any scaling needed. The problem i have is that when the screen goes blank it stays blank until i change channel and have to then go back to the channel i wanted. Its almost as if the tv has not set its self to the signal coming in. I feel this maybe a tv fault and not sky.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
mark8par:Yes and i accept what you are saying although i do not mind the delay as the receiver i have will do any scaling needed. The problem i have is that when the screen goes blank it stays blank until i change channel and have to then go back to the channel i wanted. Its almost as if the tv has not set its self to the signal coming in. I feel this maybe a tv fault and not sky.

Hmmm, I see where you are coming from, might be a HDMI handshake issue between the various components i.e HD Box to Amp to tv

You could be right, have you checked all your HDMI settings on the amp?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a handshake problem to me. Check your amp settings

A

Anonymous

Cant see it being a handshake issue as i have plugged sky direct to the TV. One thing that has happened tonight is when i changed from SD to HD my TV came up with a message saying that the resoloution was not supported and i have 2 other TV hooked up with magic eyes and when i checked them the screens were blank.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
mark8par:Cant see it being a handshake issue as i have plugged sky direct to the TV. One thing that has happened tonight is when i changed from SD to HD my TV came up with a message saying that the resoloution was not supported and i have 2 other TV hooked up with magic eyes and when i checked them the screens were blank.

Sky box already swapped out...................I'd have to go for the tv then!

TRENDING THREADS