Connecting amp to TV

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
Following all the excellent advice I received from my first post about my new system, I've been having a think about relocating everything, still in the same room but it will mean I may have the option to put the speakers onto stands. It will also mean that I may be able to connect my TV audio to the amp. My question is around the connections for that. The TV is fairly modern and it has the usual HDMI outputs but it also has a SPDIF output. What are everyone's experience of hooking their TV up to an amp? The amp is a Cambridge AXA35 and it only seems to have RCA inputs. Is it worth it?

Gray

Following all the excellent advice I received from my first post about my new system, I've been having a think about relocating everything, still in the same room but it will mean I may have the option to put the speakers onto stands. It will also mean that I may be able to connect my TV audio to the amp. My question is around the connections for that. The TV is fairly modern and it has the usual HDMI outputs but it also has a SPDIF output. What are everyone's experience of hooking their TV up to an amp? The amp is a Cambridge AXA35 and it only seems to have RCA inputs. Is it worth it?
Yes, certainly worth putting TV sound through the hi-fi, not least when the set can be between your speakers.
Your TV probably doesn't have a SCART socket, which used to be a way to get a fixed line output. Headphone output might be an option, but an optical to analogue converter is a better (low cost) way of doing it - something similar to:
You may have a USB socket on the TV which could give the converter the necessary 5v DC, otherwise a phone charger would do.

Other than that, if you've got any future plans for a standalone DAC, (or even an amp with a DAC built in).....either of those could have a spare optical input for your TV.

Last edited:
Had the same issue. I have a Sky box that has a HDMI from the TV and then interconnects from the Sky box to the amp. It sounds great with normal TV and films.

Since buying a new TV that has streaming devices (ITVX, iPlayer etc etc) so I recently purchased a Dac to use the digital outs to the Dac and interconnects to the amp.

If you don't have a Sky box you'll need coaxial or optical straight to a cheap Dac.

Yes, certainly worth putting TV sound through the hi-fi, not least if the set can be between your speakers.
Your TV probably doesn't have a SCART socket, which used to be a way to get a fixed line output. Headphone output might be an option, but an optical to analogue converter is a better (low cost) way of doing it - something similar to:
Other than that, if you've got any future plans for a standalone DAC, (or even an amp with a DAC built in).....either of those could have a spare optical input for your TV.
I tried a headphone socket and SQ was rubbish. Also you have to adjust the volume on the TV as well as the amplifier. It's a faff.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Not even sure how a Scart lead would help unless you have a satellite box - never seen amp with Scart connections.
The TV has the SCART socket. Fixed line out was always available on 3 of its pins.

This gets it (via twin RCA cable) to your amp:

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
Yes, certainly worth putting TV sound through the hi-fi, not least when the set can be between your speakers.
You may have a USB socket on the TV which could give the converter the necessary 5v DC, otherwise a phone charger would do.

Great stuff, thanks again....think I was looking at that very converter on Amazon last night but it's reassuring to know that's what I need. Yes, the TV does have a USB so it's good to know that's another option.

Ah, the good old SCART sockets....I remember those days of connecting a VCR to the TV...those were the days 😂😂.

Reactions: Gray
Think this cost around £20 from Amazon. Connect an optical cable from the TV to this, then a pair of interconnects from this to your amp. Job done, and sounds very good for little outlay. 👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: colinj71

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts