Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers for TV/mixed use

Jgt123

Jan 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

I have inherited a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers and have been running my TV through them via a Arcam RDAC and an old Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier to very pleasing effect. Sadly the amp is moving on and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement. The replacement will also be expected to run a turntable (analogue output) and CD player (analogue, coax and optical all available) as often as the TV.

Budget is approx 350 so ebay will be my marketplace unless anyone has a flash of incredible inspiration..........

Cheers

Hi all,

I have inherited a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers and have been running my TV through them via a Arcam RDAC and an old Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier to very pleasing effect. Sadly the amp is moving on and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement. The replacement will also be expected to run a turntable (analogue output) and CD player (analogue, coax and optical all available) as often as the TV.

Budget is approx 350 so ebay will be my marketplace unless anyone has a flash of incredible inspiration..........

Cheers
Hello and welcome.

From experience of the older Dynaudio Audience range of speakers they shine with a punchy amp. Your Alpha 6 is fine but doesn't have the grip of something like Arcam A85 or a Older Creek Evo 2. These amps should fall within your budget. I would also look at Roksan Kandy K2.

Hope these first few ideas can start the ball rolling

Whatever you choose, make sure the amp has a decent amount of power and can handle a 4ohm load - used to see loads of people using them with Cyrus 6 amps back in the day that would cut out if it got anywhere near 11 o’clock on the volume dial because they couldn’t handle the load. They’re cracking little speakers if driven properly, and I prefer these and the 52s to their modern stuff.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I feel old...I remember reading the whf review of the dynaudio audience 42 back in the late 90's...if I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure they were /are a 4ohm speaker, probably with a 87db sensitivity = beefy toroidal transforme based amplifier. I reckon Arcam a85 or one of the Cyrus amps from the same kind of time would be a favourable combo.

I feel old...I remember reading the whf review of the dynaudio audience 42 back in the late 90's...if I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure they were /are a 4ohm speaker, probably with a 87db sensitivity = beefy toroidal transforme based amplifier. I reckon Arcam a85 or one of the Cyrus amps from the same kind of time would be a favourable combo.
The Cyrus 6 amp of the time wasn’t man enough. The 8 was better, but still not ideal. More of a bare mininum.

Whatever you choose, make sure the amp has a decent amount of power and can handle a 4ohm load - used to see loads of people using them with Cyrus 6 amps back in the day that would cut out if it got anywhere near 11 o’clock on the volume dial because they couldn’t handle the load. They’re cracking little speakers if driven properly, and I prefer these and the 52s to their modern stuff.
I heard, in a shop setting, the 52s and they sounded great. Can't recall what amp, possibly a Cyrus 8. Very impressed though.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Another option could be one of Arcams avr receivers from the mid 00's, some of them go for peanuts as the dolby codecs become long in the tooth or obsolete, but they still play music very competently.

TRENDING THREADS