Worth getting a DAC for Freeview radio?

Hugh_Hanson

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Im currantly running my tv though a yamaha A-S500 amp and a pair of BX2s but was thinking of getting a DAC to improve sound quality when listening to freeview radio and netlix.

Is it worth getting a DAC for this or not as i know BBC 6 radio only streams at 192bit i believe?

i was thinking of a couple of DACs:

Arcam rDAC or the DACMAGIC 100

my price range is not much £200-£350

Cheers

-Hugh

P.S my tv does not have RCA or coax outputs so only optical is an option sadly.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Probably not. Last year I hooked up an Audio-gd NFB-12 DAC to my TV, as a test, expecting to hear an improvement but there was none as far as I could tell. It went back into the office with the computer and I saved myself a couple of hundred quid.

Hugh_Hanson

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm that's a shame, was looking forward to upgrading my system. Still anyone know if the Arcam irDAC optical is 24/192 and is the DacMagic 100 optical in native 24/192 or is it upscaled?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It depends on the quality of DAC in the TV! My 3-yr old Panny sounds good though the sound is noticeably better through a DAC or streamer above the £500 mark. Below that, I don't think it's worth it - though I've not tried the irdac at home.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
It depends on the quality of DAC in the TV!

Only if the OP has RCA analogue outputs from his TV.

He doesn't...

Hugh_Hanson said:

If - like you and I - you use the optical digital output from the TV to an external DAC (or my all-in-one) then no conversion takes place in the TV. It just passes digital 'un-molested' so the quality of the TV's DAC is a moot point.

The OP should either buy an external DAC, or buy an equivalent quality amplifier with a built-in DAC (with optical provision) or plug in some kind of Sonos / AirPort type solution (with control apps on a smartphone or iPod Touch or whatever).

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
jerry klinger said:
It depends on the quality of DAC in the TV!

Only if the OP has RCA analogue outputs from his TV.

He doesn't...

Hugh_Hanson said:

If - like you and I - you use the optical digital output from the TV to an external DAC (or my all-in-one) then no conversion takes place in the TV. It just passes digital 'un-molested' so the quality of the TV's DAC is a moot point.

The OP should either buy an external DAC, or buy an equivalent quality amplifier with a built-in DAC (with optical provision) or plug in some kind of Sonos / AirPort type solution (with control apps on a smartphone or iPod Touch or whatever).

He also says:

Hugh_Hanson said:
Im currantly running my tv though a yamaha A-S500 amp

So how's he doing that without analogue outputs?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts