Headphone + Amp, now wanting a DAC?

shAen1234

Dec 25, 2023
Visit site
Hello all,

I've had a pair of DT990 pros, the 250 ohm version, for a little bit now. Recently purchased a Schiit Magni+, and I've noticed a difference in sound quality (for the better) and I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm now debating on whether or not I need to purchase a DAC, I have an Asus B550-A Gaming, if anyone knows what chip the motherboard's internal DAC uses and the quality of it.

I'm debating getting an internal DAC, like the Sound Blaster Z, or just an external DAC like the Modi. If anyone has experience with this combo and also uses a DAC, I'd like to hear their thoughts!

Thanks all

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi shAen1234 - While I can't speak to your PC's internal DAC, I did replace my old Soundblaster Titanium with a Schiit Modi and was pleased with the improvement (using amp & speakers). I ultimately upgraded further to the Schiit Bifrost, which does sound even better but costs many times the price. I also have a Schiit Asgard headphone amp with built-in DAC and feel that's a great combo with lots of power.

Reactions: shAen1234

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hello all,

I've had a pair of DT990 pros, the 250 ohm version, for a little bit now. Recently purchased a Schiit Magni+, and I've noticed a difference in sound quality (for the better) and I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm now debating on whether or not I need to purchase a DAC, I have an Asus B550-A Gaming, if anyone knows what chip the motherboard's internal DAC uses and the quality of it.

I'm debating getting an internal DAC, like the Sound Blaster Z, or just an external DAC like the Modi. If anyone has experience with this combo and also uses a DAC, I'd like to hear their thoughts!

Thanks all
You can easily better any computers internal dac due to the simple fact that a computer is very noisy place. You could put the best chip in the world in there and it would sound poop. It’s not the chip that’s important part anyhow it’s the anologue circuit.

Doesn’t have to be exspensive either topping, wim, dragon fly all can be hand under 100$£

Reactions: shAen1234

shAen1234

Dec 25, 2023
Visit site
You can easily better any computers internal dac due to the simple fact that a computer is very noisy place. You could put the best chip in the world in there and it would sound poop. It’s not the chip that’s important part anyhow it’s the anologue circuit.

Doesn’t have to be exspensive either topping, wim, dragon fly all can be hand under 100$£
Hi shAen1234 - While I can't speak to your PC's internal DAC, I did replace my old Soundblaster Titanium with a Schiit Modi and was pleased with the improvement (using amp & speakers). I ultimately upgraded further to the Schiit Bifrost, which does sound even better but costs many times the price. I also have a Schiit Asgard headphone amp with built-in DAC and feel that's a great combo with lots of power.
That's great guys thanks for the info! I should also mention I also have a speaker system for a sim racing rig I have.

Would it be beneficial to buy a sound card for multiple line outs, and then switch to whatever output I'd be using at the time? Am I even able to hook up a dedicated DAC to a Sound Blaster? If that's doable then I think I might purchase a card and a Schiit Modi just to match my amp, I like the look of them together 😁

Unless either one of you guys have any other ideas to have multiple output sources. Or a DAC that supports multiple outputs while also remaining also somewhat close to the price and quality of the Modi.

shAen1234

Dec 25, 2023
Visit site
That Asus card you have, has a digital optical output - which would connect to the Modi.

Assuming all your computer sound currently goes via the Asus ??? - then all of it would be going via the Modi's DAC (no need for 'multiple line outputs').
Yeah, it does have an optical now that you mentioned it, And yes, all my sound is routed out through my motherboard on a single 3.5mm.

What I mean is, I have a rig for sim racing. I have some cheapo Sony surround speakers and a Pyle receiver to power them. Which was originally taking up my 3.5mm on the motherboard, and my headphones were routed through my Blue Yeti.

Obviously I wouldn't be using my rig all the time, so it's not a huge deal if I need to manually switch out the cables. I'm just thinking of getting a Sound Blaster because I can see it has multiple 3.5mm on the back, would I be able to plug multiple devices in at once and have them all work at the same time?

I remembered splitter cables exist too, so I might quickly pick one of them up to experiment a little. And also while writing this I'm wondering if it's possible to use the optical to the Modi DAC and the 3.5mm to the Pyle at the same time and have sequential audio output.

shAen1234

Dec 25, 2023
Visit site
Honestly after reading that a million times before posting, I think a splitter cable would answer all my questions lol, had a big brain fart moment and forgot they exist. But I think my little idea of using optical and 3.5mm sequentially is a good one, if it works.

Gray

Honestly after reading that a million times before posting, I think a splitter cable would answer all my questions lol, had a big brain fart moment and forgot they exist. But I think my little idea of using optical and 3.5mm sequentially is a good one, if it works.
I'm not familiar with PC soundcards or why they need to have multiple line outputs - but I wouldn't be connecting those outputs together with splitters.

Any input / output selection should be done by signal switches (ready-made or self-build switchboxes).

TRENDING THREADS