I can't stand my Denon AVR anymore. What to replace it with?

tonitari

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Denon X2400h which I absolutely hate. I don't want this post to be a rant so I'll keep it short but basically HEOS is a hot pile of buggy garbage, input switching doesn't work well and I often get a blank screen, updates are a Russian roulette (will it break everything or work?)... What finally broke the camel's back is that the flimsy remote that shipped with the AVR stopped working after only 4 years.

I'm done with Denon and would like to replace it with something that isn't Denon/Marantz.

I like the second zone feature, and the Audyssey calibration but I switched to a pair of B&O columns that don't really need calibration anymore so that doesn't matter as much.

My TV is a Panasonic OLED 4K, I'd like to have at least 4K@60Hz and ideally 100Hz for when I swap my PS4 Pro for a next gen Xbox or PS. ARC is also important.

Currently using 3 HDMI devices.

For music, I stream Spotify via the built-in AVR's app.

Budget is around 500 EUR and I'm not against buying something used: I don't need this year's model if it does what I need.

Is there any option outside of Denon/Marantz?

michael hoy

There is always options, Would not agree on your statement about the B&O columns.
You are calibrating for the room and not calibrating the actual speaker.

I have a Marantz set up but do not use HEOS, so cannot comment on that. Never had an issue with firmware updates,

What is your budget for a replacement.

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
I started with an avr setup before moving to amp/source/speakers (traditional stereo setup) and I had a 9.2 onkyo avr. Great build,reliable and easy to use. I picked mine up from a well known bidding site for less than £200 (if memory serves me correctly) but also sony and yamaha are worth a look,all new or second-hand.good luck and enjoy!

stonesfan285

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Where are Sony products made now? I always had Sony stuff up until recently and I thought it used to be made in Japan. But aren't all these manufacturers' products just made as cheaply as possible in Vietnam, Taiwan and China now? My uncle lived in Tokyo back in the late 70s through mid 80s and Sony was always what he bought. Then again, I think it was made there back then too to higher quality standards.

Gaberom

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately, I need more information about your Denon AVR and your budget to suggest a suitable replacement. Please provide details about:

1. Your Denon AVR model: Knowing the specific model (e.g., Denon AVR-X1700H) will give me insight into its features and limitations, which will help me recommend a suitable upgrade.

2. Your budget: This is crucial since newer and more advanced AVRs can be quite expensive. Knowing your budget will help me narrow down the options to those that are realistic for you.

3. What you dislike about your Denon AVR: Understanding what you're unhappy with will help me recommend an AVR that addresses your specific pain points. Are you looking for better sound quality, more features (e.g., 8K HDMI), or something else entirely?

4. Your audio setup: Knowing your existing setup (speakers, subwoofer, etc.) will ensure the recommended AVR is compatible and provides the best possible sound experience.

Unfortunately, I need more information about your Denon AVR and your budget to suggest a suitable replacement. Please provide details about:

1. Your Denon AVR model: Knowing the specific model (e.g., Denon AVR-X1700H) will give me insight into its features and limitations, which will help me recommend a suitable upgrade.

2. Your budget: This is crucial since newer and more advanced AVRs can be quite expensive. Knowing your budget will help me narrow down the options to those that are realistic for you.

3. What you dislike about your Denon AVR: Understanding what you're unhappy with will help me recommend an AVR that addresses your specific pain points. Are you looking for better sound quality, more features (e.g., 8K HDMI), or something else entirely?

4. Your audio setup: Knowing your existing setup (speakers, subwoofer, etc.) will ensure the recommended AVR is compatible and provides the best possible sound experience.
Please check dates of threads before posting.
This one is a little old and the OP hadn't been seen for a while.

Fandango Andy

Have a look at Sony. I have a STR-DN860 (short lived model from 2015 to about 2017 before the world went crazy for Atmos), it sounds great and is a breeze to set up. Not sure what the current model (STR-DH790) is like, but you can pick one up for £429,000 in the UK. Worth an audition?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts