Problem with my Pioneer Kuro

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
super said:
Update, it maybe of intrest and worth it to you to know of the cure of the tuner failure on my pioneer LX5090. I normally have my tv in standby when not in use, so i thought as a last resort before i call out an engineer that i would completely kill the power to the tv and then switch on. Success...... the tv is now back to working normally again and i hope will continue to do so. Could this have been some sort of static build up ? Has anyone else come across this strange problem ?
Never had that problem with my Kuro, but I always turn it off at the mains. I do that to save the environment and my bank balance - now I have a 3rd reason.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Because the tv is in a tight corner it is very akward to switch it off at the power switch. Iasked at my shop where i got it from whether it was okay to leave it in stand-by mode and they asked pioneer for me and they said it was safe. It only takes 0.3 of a watt in stand-by, which is next to nothing.

I contacted Pioneer engineers today. They're still waiting for approval from Pioneer to change the panel. Apparently, the cost of replacing the panel exceeds the warranty threshold (probably due to work already done).

I hope the panel is changed, not keen on replacing my TV anytime soon! :cry:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I contacted Pioneer engineers today. They're still waiting for approval from Pioneer to change the panel. Apparently, the cost of replacing the panel exceeds the warranty threshold

What threshold? What use is a warranty if it doesn't cover replacing a faulty unit?

(probably due to work already done).

Well that's their fault for not diagnosing the fault correctly in the first place isn't it?

I hope the panel is changed, not keen on replacing my TV anytime soon! :cry:

No, neither would I be...

I'm sure the labour charges will be rather high, despite the initial misdiagnosis of the problem.

Neville Johnson (the cabinet maker) wants £420 just for standing there while the cable is passed through the conduit, & pull the furniture cabinet out if needed (an hour's job at the most). :O

Sevenoaks said they'll try it themselves first without the assistance of the cabinet maker.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Neville Johnson (the cabinet maker) wants £420 just for standing there while the cable is passed through the conduit, & pull the furniture cabinet out if needed (an hour's job at the most). :O

Well that is taking the p***, that's lawyer money, not chippy money![/quote]

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Lee H said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Hello bigboss, has your Pioneer definitely been repaired yet? It was due to be done last week.

Man, that's some signature you've got going on. I've seen shorter threads.
You are too kind- there are signatures and there is ostentation.Personally I think I know which side of the line this is.

The most recent aspect of that, quite apart from watching Blu-Rays films in surround sound in any of three rooms, is that (now that the NBA basketball season in America has started its abbreviated season after the players' dispute) I can now watch, from my bed, the live NBA broadcasts which are sent to my computer. Then down a 20m SVGA cable to the bedroom television.
Quod est demonstrandum.Deponat nunc palam.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
The most recent aspect of that, quite apart from watching Blu-Rays films in surround sound in any of three rooms, is that (now that the NBA basketball season in America has started its abbreviated season after the players' dispute) I can now watch, from my bed, the live NBA broadcasts which are sent to my computer. Then down a 20m SVGA cable to the bedroom television.

Heck, I can watch on the loo using an iPad; doesn't mean I put it in my sig though.

Point 9 I think covers it.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

Why didn't they just say they weren't interested in helping out ?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:

I have a mate called Neville and one who's surname is Johson. We'll stand there for £300 (cash) and a coffee each. All heart y'see.

v1c said:
bigboss said:

Why didn't they just say they weren't interested in helping out ?

No, I don't think that was the case. I'm sure this is their usual rate. I did half expect them to quote something atrocious as this. The furniture did cost a fortune, but I didn't want to compromise on my home cinema system. There's no question about their quality of workmanship.

Further update. The Pioneer engineers took the TV monitor away on Tuesday. They've updated the software on the drive board which, they say, has improved the speckles but not completely eliminated it. They have contacted Pioneer (head office in Belgium) who will issue them an updated software. If the updated software does not work, then they'll have to replace the panel.

Meanwhile, Sevenoaks installed the DisplayPort cable through the conduit yesterday. Full credit to Sevenoaks for actively liaising with Pioneer & the service centre to ensure my problem is sorted soon.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you're getting there (fingers crossed), tho given your first post was 29th November this is not exactly the snappy service I imagined with a Pioneer warranty.

Have they guaranteed they will (if necessary) replace the screen, despite their budget restriction?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts