Problem with gain.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
My current system:

iBook G4 > CA DacMagic > CA 640aV2 > Q-Acoustics 2050

The problem:

I only have to turn the amp a smidgen past the 8 'o' clock position and the sound becomes to loud and find it difficult to get a listening level that is comfortable i.e - it's either to loud or to quiet. Any tips on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated?

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
woollyjoe:How do you define Gain?

Well I have very little control over the volume in that it's too loud even at the 8 o clock poisition on the amp and at 9 o clock it's shaking the room levels sothe ability to control the output at lower volume is required... If this makes sense ? ?

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
woollyjoe:How do you define Gain?

Gain in this instance is the ratio between amplifier input and output signals (expressed in decibels).

Problem is, many sources have been sneaking up the output voltage, whilst amp input sensitivity has remained the same. If memory serves the original CD reference spec was meant to be 2.0v RMS - most devices are above that now it seems... some over 3volts i heard (which i find ridiculous). Couple that with the "Loudness Wars" of most modern productions and you have a recipe for disaster no travel / control in the volume, 9 o clock is ear-splitting, low volumes don't cut it etc.

The Rothwell Attenuators do the trick superbly, knocking 10dB off the input signal. I'm happy to say had mine about a month now, the overall sound of my system is much improved, more bass at low volumes and more control at high volumes - better sound at ANY volume. You will go from "8 oclock" to 10 or 10.30 oclock i suspect.

Just wish I'd known about them earlier
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Save up and buy a much better system.

The better my system becomes the more flexibility I have with the volume control.

More powerful amps and better source means I can listen at really low volumes or just keep turning it up without distortion.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
angelface59:

Save up and buy a much better system.

The better my system becomes the more flexibility I have with the volume control.

More powerful amps and better source means I can listen at really low volumes or just keep turning it up without distortion.

Well thanks for the advice, alas I'm happy with the system it just needs a little tweaking I feel...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts