Premium supertest

A

Anonymous

Bloomin' shame that the Denon 2012UD was not in this review!
smiley-frown.gif

Ian.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IanW555 said:
Bloomin' shame that the Denon 2012UD was not in this review!
smiley-frown.gif

Agreed, a Blu-min shame: I gather a sample was requested for the test, but was not available in the timeframe available to us; rest assured we'll be testing it as soon as we can get our hands on one.

A

Anonymous

I just read the premium Bluray player test and was surprised to see the group winner going to the Marantz.
I myself compared the Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite to the Oppo 95 a couple of weeks back and found the Oppo 95 easily outshone the Marantz,
so does the Marantz 7006 sound better than the Pearl Lite ?

Sound is a personal preference. If you prefer Oppo's sound to Marantz, so be it. Remember that sound depends on the rest of the equipment as well. The review never said that Oppo's sound was bad.......both have got 5 stars.

A

Anonymous

I just thought with the Oppo 95 being more similar in tone to the Audiolab 8200 which received product of the year for standalone CD player in that price range. The Marantz Pearl Lite receiving four-stars.
Having compared the Oppo 95, Audiolab 8200 and Marantz Pearl Lite at home over an extended period with B&W CM8s and Rotel RA1520,
I would definitely be in the Market for the Marantz 7006 if it clearly sounds better than the Pearl Lite.
Pity about only having one HDMI though ;-)

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I recently tried the cheaper Denon 1611 universal player, and was forced to return it because of a dealbreaking firmware issue — every time I engaged Direct Play, or turned off a device connected to it via HDMI (a very typical sequence if using a TV previously or to access the menus before going sound-only) the sound would drop out for a second or so. Altering the HDMI control settings didn't fix it.

Since most Denon/Marantz kit now shares the same underlying guts, can the test team confirm that these glitches were/weren't present in the 7006, and/or check for them in the Denon 2012 when they get that?

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
daveloc said:
I recently tried the cheaper Denon 1611 universal player, and was forced to return it because of a dealbreaking firmware issue — every time I engaged Direct Play, or turned off a device connected to it via HDMI (a very typical sequence if using a TV previously or to access the menus before going sound-only) the sound would drop out for a second or so. Altering the HDMI control settings didn't fix it.

Since most Denon/Marantz kit now shares the same underlying guts, can the test team confirm that these glitches were/weren't present in the 7006, and/or check for them in the Denon 2012 when they get that?

So the sound only dropped out for a second? Why would that be an issue?

A

Anonymous

Andew, I have read the group reviews and still need help !....I want the best 2channel hires player of the group primarily for SACD and Bluray audio.....I would use the analogue output for SACD and digital out to a new Rega Dac for Bluray audio.....CD is already good via an EAR Acute player and the video would go through an IscanVP50 Pro.....so I am guessing it is still the Marantz....but would appreciate your opinion

A

Anonymous

As someone who is interested in upgrading a Sony S760 in order to leverage better audio decoding (Rotel 1068 doesn't do HD Master Audio codecs or HDMI), I read this review with great interest. But I'm confused why Marantz won. Considering the functional differences between Marantz and Cambridge Audio/Oppo against my criteria (5 very important):

Wireless connection - 5

2nd HDMI - nice to have, 3

HDCD/AVI/MKV/XviD/FLAC - nice to have, 3

USB - nice to have, 3

eSATA - nice to have - especially as the industry moves to lossless 24-bit downloads, 3

XLR outputs (Oppo only) - nice, but no plans to use, 2

They key feature, as you can tell, is the wireless connectivity. Who wants to download firmware updates to USB/CD-R or access the Internet/BD-Live/DLNA (OK DLNA is experimental on Oppo - not aware of news on 751)? This lack of functionality looses the Marantz a star - no one I know plumbs in wired Ethernet connections to their ADSL router and they shouldn't have to. I assume the WiFi is provided on external USB dongle to ensure it doesn't interfere with the sonic capability of the player - so there shouldn't be a sound quality issue in providing it. The Denon 2012 doesn't have wireless either (perhaps not surprising as D&M own both Marantz and Denon now and they are near identical on the back).

Surprising that the Oppo doesn't provide VoD as US players have Netflix and Blockbuster on Demand. Youtube is meant to be provided in the near future for both US and EU models. Denon/Marantz only has Youtube. Not aware of 751 support for Youtube.

Given the 751's "bass can sound overbearing", I am left to assume that the Marantz's sound must be out of this world in comparison to the Oppo (as Oppo is meant to have comparitive VoD functionality to Marantz shortly) which massively outweighs the wireless requirement that people like me have?

A

Anonymous

Hi, I guess that is what I would like to know as 2ch is my preference and SACD has a lot of classical recordings is it the Oppo or the Marantz ?.......hopefully Andrew will reply

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
colin.uk said:
Hi, I guess that is what I would like to know as 2ch is my preference and SACD has a lot of classical recordings is it the Oppo or the Marantz ?.......hopefully Andrew will reply

Having not heard either...

A

Anonymous

If not your good self , then who carried out the group test so that we can get a reply....thank you

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Buz said:
They key feature, as you can tell, is the wireless connectivity. Who wants to download firmware updates to USB/CD-R or access the Internet/BD-Live/DLNA (OK DLNA is experimental on Oppo - not aware of news on 751)? This lack of functionality looses the Marantz a star - no one I know plumbs in wired Ethernet connections to their ADSL router and they shouldn't have to.

So the key feature for you on a premium Blu-ray player is wireless so you don't have to plug in an ethernet cable every 6 months or so to upgrade the firmware? Interesting, but I'm willing to bet it's not top on most people's lists. Goes to show how different people have differenct requirements though, and why a rating can never satisfy every person's desires and wants - had WHF docked a star from the Marantz for not having wireless, I'm sure there would be posts from just as baffled people who have no requirement for wireless on their Blu-ray player and asking why that should affect the rating score. As you've seen, it's key to read the review and find out the details which are important to yourself and make your mind up from there.

Incidentally, my Blu-ray player is connected into my ADSL router via an ethernet cable - so you know one person who does it now
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts