Premium supertest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
def lugs said:
daveloc said:
[...] Denon problems [...]
So the sound only dropped out for a second? Why would that be an issue?
Because if you don't call companies out repeatedly, publicly, on Quality Control issues, or fail to return equipment that exhibits them as "not fit for purpose", then the whole industry will assume that quality doesn't matter?

Presumably you'd be happy with a car whose brakes only failed occasionally?

professorhat said:
it's key to read the review
Actually, I'd say these days it's key to download the manual and then search web forums for the product name with additional keywords like "firmware" and "problems" ;)

Since we're taking a poll: none of my ADSL-capable AV kit has ever been connected to the internet, and hopefully never will be. I don't stream from the Mac either.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
When you comment on the Marantz that it's "a tad slow to load discs", does that apply to all formats? Also, how slow is slow? I only ask as I think I can live with that for BD, maybe DVD but most definitely not for CD.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
daveloc said:
def lugs said:
daveloc said:
[...] Denon problems [...]
So the sound only dropped out for a second? Why would that be an issue?
Because if you don't call companies out repeatedly, publicly, on Quality Control issues, or fail to return equipment that exhibits them as "not fit for purpose", then the whole industry will assume that quality doesn't matter?

Presumably you'd be happy with a car whose brakes only failed occasionally

Sorry Dave, I would not have described a momentary lapse of sound when the HDMI detects a signal change as 'not fit for purpose'. It's definitely not in the same league as brakes failing on a car or the player randomly ejecting a disc, or even the sound dropping out sporadically.

I am glad we differ on this as it's why I enjoy reading this forum.

A

Anonymous

Thanks....
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

professorhat said:
So the key feature for you on a premium Blu-ray player is wireless so you don't have to plug in an ethernet cable every 6 months or so to upgrade the firmware?

No, I said the key functional difference between the players was wireless, not that it was the key feature.

Also I highlighted "download firmware updates to USB/CD-R or access the Internet/BD-Live/DLNA" not just "downloading firemware". This means plugging in an Ethernet cable everytime I want to use the player (predominately because of DLNA in my case). If updates was the only item of the 3 of importance, I could understand why wireless wouldn't be such an important feature.

professorhat said:
Incidentally, my Blu-ray player is connected into my ADSL router via an ethernet cable - so you know one person who does it now
smiley-smile.gif

smiley-smile.gif

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
When you comment on the Marantz that it's "a tad slow to load discs", does that apply to all formats? Also, how slow is slow? I only ask as I think I can live with that for BD, maybe DVD but most definitely not for CD.

Hmm, perhaps POETS day wasn't the best time to ask this question!
smiley-sealed.gif

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
sticks his hand up .... ethernet connection for me also :D

and whats with all this word verification rubbish on every post i make ?? bloddy annoying

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have just read the supertest and it doesn't say 'Premium' it says 'Mid range'

Wow, if you consider the oppo 95 'mid range' I would love to hear the next gen machines in analogue.

I haven't personally heard the marantz machine but it looks like a nice player on paper.

Martin Gman said:
Hi,

I have just read the supertest and it doesn't say 'Premium' it says 'Mid range'

Wow, if you consider the oppo 95 'mid range' I would love to hear the next gen machines in analogue.

I guess some of Denon's players (costing £1500 and above) & Pioneer LX91 would be considered "premium", so would Lexicon BD30: http://www.audio-cinema.co.uk/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-player-2535-p.asp Although the Lexicon is nothing but an Oppo 83 (down to the same chassis), only $3000 more expensive.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Forgot I'd asked this...

Anyone at WHFS&V know the answer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts