Power, Extensions and Electricity Shortages...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay, so my system is in my bedroom, and I have two power sockets in there. One is used for the amplifier, which is a Rotel RA04, and the other is an extension leading to a PC, monitor and turntable. All the power in my room is, according to the wiring diagrams for the house, itself an extension from the next room along which has a few electrical items such as lamps, clocks, hairdryers, a TV and DVD player on the go. If everything is turned on at the same time, the power cuts out and I have to switch it back on downstairs in the fuse box, which usually happens about once every two months, which is probably bad but not too much of a hassel.

Is this wiring set up probably impacting the performance of my amp / PC? Is there any better alternative set up anyone can recommend? I thought plugging the amp in to the wall rather than the extension cable would be a better idea, but seeings as the wall socket is mearly an extension from the next room along is this helping?

All the wiring in my house is contained in little copper pipes which aparently is a good thing.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Ha yes I am in the UK in Hampshire.
Its an old house with old wiring. We have had a few electricians have a look they say its fine

thanks

Edit: I think the problem is last time we had a service the electrician made the trip switch slightly too sensitive or something like that

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im almost certain ive heard that people have had problems with 'noise' when the powers gone through copper piping (Looks like theyre more likely to pick up EMI)

But thats clearly not your ACTUAL problem

idc

ubercooldave:

If everything is turned on at the same time, the power cuts out and I have to switch it back on downstairs in the fuse box, which usually happens about once every two months, which is probably bad but not too much of a hassel.

I vote for getting in an electrician and explaining the above. It just does not sound safe.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
ubercooldave:Edit: I think the problem is last time we had a service the electrician made the trip switch slightly too sensitive or something like that

Well, there may very well have been a good reason for that - with the likes of a hairdryer plus everything else running, the circuit breaker is tripping to prevent too much current being drawn through your old wiring and starting a fire. Have you told the electrician that the fuse keeps tripping when you use too many devices? If he says that's fine, then I think you need a new electrician...

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
ubercooldave:

Okay, so my system is in my bedroom, and I have two power sockets in there. One is used for the amplifier, which is a Rotel RA04, and the other is an extension leading to a PC, monitor and turntable. All the power in my room is, according to the wiring diagrams for the house, itself an extension from the next room along which has a few electrical items such as lamps, clocks, hairdryers, a TV and DVD player on the go. If everything is turned on at the same time, the power cuts out and I have to switch it back on downstairs in the fuse box, which usually happens about once every two months, which is probably bad but not too much of a hassel.

Is this wiring set up probably impacting the performance of my amp / PC? Is there any better alternative set up anyone can recommend? I thought plugging the amp in to the wall rather than the extension cable would be a better idea, but seeings as the wall socket is mearly an extension from the next room along is this helping?

All the wiring in my house is contained in little copper pipes which aparently is a good thing.

Thanks

Your best bet is to get someone to run a cable from your bedroom socket back to the next socket on your house ring main. Not a very big job for an electrician if your cables run in conduit. You would then be on the house ring main instead of spurred off. House ring mains run off a 32amp fuse where as a spur is usually only 13 amp.
I would presume your house is fairly new if you have a wiring diagram so it should be easy for an electrician to ID where the next socket on the ring is an modify the ring to suit.
As you have posted this on here you suggest to me that you are not capable of doing this yourself and I take no responsibility if you light yourself up. Electricity can KILL. I am not an electrician but that seems the solution to me.

A

Anonymous

"I would presume your house is fairly new" - ÿHahaha well it is about 500 years new... its a thatched cottage and it's pretty damn old.

I believe we have a diagram from when the house was rewired in the 70s although I am not completely sure.

However, thanks very much for your response!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts