Power Conditioner

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Oh yes they do. I agree with you to some extend with cables, but mains conditioners really do affect sound. I had an Isol 8 mains conditional & it changed the sound, but it was for the worst. At first the sound was dull, then as the days passed by it got more bighter. I took it off & tried without the Isol 8 & the sound was back to normal.

It was very obvious to the extend my ears were hurting just after 30mins of listening to music. It had to go.

I have tried lots & lots of cables & dnt get anything significant in terms of change or SQ. I definitely noticed with the Isol 8 but unfortunately it was for the worse. Results may also be system dependent.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Oh yes they do. I agree with you to some extend with cables, but mains conditioners really do affect sound. I had an Isol 8 mains conditional & it changed the sound, but it was for the worst.

I also tried an Isol 8 and found much the same thing.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
Oh yes they do. I agree with you to some extend with cables, but mains conditioners really do affect sound. I had an Isol 8 mains conditional & it changed the sound, but it was for the worst.

I also tried an Isol 8 and found much the same thing.
Oh well same experience from both of us. I know how it sounds, cause I feed the same when people say it about cables, but this was really night & day.

TrevC

Think what would happen if lousy quality interference ridden mains translated directly into poor sound quality. It doesn't because all traces of interference are removed in the power supply of the amplifier.

The bottom line is that you are mistaken.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
Think what would happen if lousy quality interference ridden mains translated directly into poor sound quality. It doesn't because all traces of interference are removed in the power supply of the amplifier.

Silly me for forgetting myself. If it wasn't for you, I would actually believe what I'm hearing...and that would never do.

Keep up the good work.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The general street knowledge about power conditioners is that they limit the current to the amp and this manifests as lacking in bass, dry sound etc. Any science to back this up?
That may well be the case. But dnt know about the science bit.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The general street knowledge about power conditioners is that they limit the current to the amp and this manifests as lacking in bass, dry sound etc. Any science to back this up?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If this was the case, the power conditioner fuse (5A or 10A or 15A...) would blow if the amp sucks more current than its rating. No?

If I check the fuse rating on my amp, and it is 10A, then the fuse rating on the power conditioner should be above that and there should be no bottleneck? Or does it depend on the active/passive filtering in the power conditioner?

Any of the forum techs to give us few clues, even theoretically, would be appreciated.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If this was the case, the power conditioner fuse (5A or 10A or 15A...) would blow if the amp sucks more current than its rating. No?

If I check the fuse rating on my amp, and it is 10A, then the fuse rating on the power conditioner should be above that and there should be no bottleneck? Or does it depend on the active/passive filtering in the power conditioner?

Any of the forum techs to give us few clues, even theoretically, would be appreciated.
I suppect the filters in the conditional bottlenecking, cause if you go pass the recommended handling power..e.g amplifier, this can be a problem. This much i know for a fact.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

Silly me for forgetting myself. If it wasn't for you, I would actually believe what I'm hearing...and that would never do.

Keep up the good work.

All part of the service. :O)

TrevC

Vladimir said:

You would have to exceed the average power rating, by which time you would probably be deaf or have wrecked speakers.

TrevC

Native_bon said:
Vladimir said:

I suppect the filters in the conditional bottlenecking, cause if you go pass the recommended handling power..e.g amplifier, this can be a problem. This much i know for a fact.

What is bottlenecking? The mains being dropped due to choke resistance? Not vey likely unless you grossly exceed the filter's power rating, in which case it would blow the mains fuse first. You wouldn't be able to hear it, that's for sure.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at the ISOL-8 MiniSub and it looks simple voltage stabilizer with filtering for DC. There are no fuses that I can see, just PTC/MOV as voltage input protection. Hmmm. Can't see anything that would limit current. Maybe those two IRF840 MOSFETs?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:

You would have to exceed the average power rating, by which time you would probably be deaf or have wrecked speakers.

5A x 230V = 1150VA, which is far beyond what a typical home hi-fi amp would use even in peaks. If 5A is all we need, I don't see how a well built power filter like that ISOL-8 fails to deliver such modest current.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:

5A x 230V = 1150VA, which is far beyond what a typical home hi-fi amp would use even in peaks. If 5A is all we need, I don't see how a well built power filter like that ISOL-8 fails to deliver such modest current.

Nobody's arguing with you.

The only thing that NB and I have said, is that we didn' like how our systems sounded when plugged into it....it was simply a warning to the OP that these devices may not always bring an improvement.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:

The only thing that NB and I have said, is that we didn' like how our systems sounded when plugged into it....it was simply a warning to the OP that these devices may not always bring an improvement.

I have the exact same experience. The question is did we hear an actual change or was it expectation bias.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:

I have the exact same experience. The question is did we hear an actual change or was it expectation bias.
Hum.. I thought we would be expecting it to make our systems sound better not worse..? So I think thats a very good question.. Am certain our experiences were real cause the opposite happened.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:

In my case, it was an expensive bit of kit that was being sold at a very good price....in fact, IIRC, it was a mains regenerator.

If anything, my expectation was that it would improve the sound....but it made my system sound overly clean, bright and analytical. Since it was on trial, I took it back.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

In my case, it was an expensive bit of kit that was being sold at a very good price....in fact, IIRC, it was a mains regenerator.

If anything, my expectation was that it would improve the sound....but it made my system sound overly clean, bright and analytical. Since it was on trial, I took it back.
Same here, Had 60day trial if i can remember correctly.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought an AVR for safety of my equipment after few issues with few appliences burning out (it was an old house). Then I read on forums how it has negative effect on sound quality for most people, even with expensive conditioners. After that I auditioned with and without the AVR and heard differences. As others described, the sound was dry, weak on bass and not as full. After few days I tried it again and heard no change, so I decided to keep using it and ascribe the previosly heard diffeences as expectation bias.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I bought an AVR for safety of my equipment after few issues with few appliences burning out (it was an old house). Then I read on forums how it has negative effect on sound quality for most people, even with expensive conditioners. After that I auditioned with and without the AVR and heard differences. As others described, the sound was dry, weak on bass and not as full. After few days I tried it again and heard no change, so I decided to keep using it and ascribe the previosly heard diffeences as expectation bias.
Ok get your point. I never read about the bad reviews from indiividauls. I read about the good reviews from mags. also knowing I could return if not satisfied I decided to take the plunge but was not to my liking.

TRENDING THREADS