Budget amp advice please

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,
So after some very helpful guidance here, I bought myself some Mission M72 speakers and I love them. However, my amp is on its way out and I am looking to replace it. I've found these options in my price range and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which is best:

Denon DN A100
Yamaha AX 300e
Marantz PM4200

Thanks again :)

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
I don't have the information to compare them, but I'm curious why you'd get a late 80's AX-300 when you could get a new R-S202 for dirt cheap? (I only did about 5 minutes of research, but didn't come up with anything; so I'm genuinely curious.)

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,
So after some very helpful guidance here, I bought myself some Mission M72 speakers and I love them. However, my amp is on its way out and I am looking to replace it. I've found these options in my price range and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which is best:

Denon DN A100
Yamaha AX 300e
Marantz PM4200

Hi,

I will recommend Wiim amp. These days, it will make a very good service. You need only decent speakers and cables. This little Wiim is better than many oldstyle "budget" amps. Not a lot worse than Bluesound Powernode. Or difference is smaller than price difference. Rotel RA 971 is a good amp. But as you like. Try to listen with your speakers. Do not make a blind decision.😉

Fandango Andy

Hi all,

Denon DN A100
Yamaha AX 300e
Marantz PM4200

I would always lean towards the Marantz PM4200, I have one ;)

Ultimately, you are looking at second hand 20 year old amps, providing they are in good working order, and you don't overpay for them you can always sell them on without loosing out.

The best tip for good value second hand, look on Ebay for local sellers who are offering collection only. I have picked up some real bargains doing this.

As for an amp from that time look out for:
  • Marantz PM4200 or PM4000
  • Sony TA-FE570
  • Yamaha AX-496
  • Denon DRA-455 or 275RD
  • NAD C300
  • Rotel RA-931

Reactions: nopiano

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Depends what you mean by budget. I have seen Audio lab 6000A units, open box, for well under a thousand CAD. I have one and if the 50wpc is enough for you then it's a good choice.

Fandango Andy

Depends what you mean by budget. I have seen Audio lab 6000A units, open box, for well under a thousand CAD. I have one and if the 50wpc is enough for you then it's a good choice.
Although the OP doesn't mention a budget, the Denon and Marantz amps he mentioned are from the early 2000s and usually come up for sale for around £75 to £100. The Audiolab you mention is a great amp but a lot more expensive. You can get an Audiolab 8000A from thr 90s for about £250 to £300.

gasolin

For £300 you can get a loxjie A40 new and sound good with alot of power instead of something old that need repairs or won't last long

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts