Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

What's the question Gray? :)
Well I know that it's good for just about every streaming service under the the sun.

But, apart from my local FLAC files, I listen quite a bit to some specific internet 'radio' streams - which are not available.on the likes of TuneIn.
Volumio allows manual entering and storing of their URLs.
I wondered if this would be possible with the Wiim aop (something only a user might know).

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Speaker banana plugs as I'm sick of speaker wire oxidizing and I misjudge and have overtightened the terminals on occasion.

Never saw them as necessary until I've started this room Acoustics route.
Now I'm playing musical 🪑 speakers I need the option of a quick connection.

I was however surprised at the quality and double binding screws of the "stahlbrite" budget plugs that did well on the reviews.
I've had chocolate ones before in which the higher conductive coating wore off after a few uses.

Also I've gotten myself a pair of rather well built RCA splitters for the pioneer and Yamaha to share the an old friend twice repaired Marantz cd52 mk2.
I've just repaired/replaced the draw as despite the edject cog and belt replacement prior it had after 30 yrs draw jitter as the tracks had also worn.

Attachments

• 1000005994.jpg
    1000005994.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000005996.jpg
    1000005996.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Jasonovich

gasolin

New budget class d amp, different psu specs,plugs (24volt and 6.75 a) i wanted to use a better power cable, since what i had left was a figure 8 cable (i currently use), i wanted a iec c15 cable for under 40 euros (with shipping) if possible, it could also be used if i buy a better psu or a normal sized amp with detachable power cord

Supras power cables are amoungst the cheapest quality hifi power cable,it costs 50 euros + shipping, didn't find anything used regardless of brand, 41 euros is a good deal and makes it possible to try a power cable for not alot of money (without braking the bank), you don't have to buy the supra cable for + 50 euros, even if it's a quality product.

Found this with a 15% discount, even if i don't know the quality of the cable, it was just what i wanted, something to upgrade the stock power cable for a low price, regardless of how big the real difference is,the cable that comes out of the psu and into the amp might be inferior to the thick monosaudio power cable, the mental difference would be an upgrade, knowing you tweaked the sound with a better power cable, better psu can be bought later.

I do have seen amps using power cables as expensive as the amp or almost

41 euros total

2024-05-11 11_31_29-Monosaudio HiFi Power Cable 1.5 m _ Amazon.de_ Electronics & Photo – Googl...jpg

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Well I know that it's good for just about every streaming service under the the sun.

But, apart from my local FLAC files, I listen quite a bit to some specific internet 'radio' streams - which are not available.on the likes of TuneIn.
I wondered if this would be possible with the Wiim aop (something only a user might know).
It's a good question Gray, I truly don't have the answer. I suspect if the OS is Android based you will have this functionality.
I have emailed your question to WiiM help desk, hopefully someone will come back soon :)

1715438583299.png

Reactions: Gray

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Speaker banana plugs as I'm sick of speaker wire oxidizing and I misjudge and have overtightened the terminals on occasion.

Never saw them as necessary until I've started this room Acoustics route.
Now I'm playing musical 🪑 speakers I need the option of a quick connection.

I was however surprised at the quality and double binding screws of the "stahlbrite" budget plugs that did well on the reviews.
I've had chocolate ones before in which the higher conductive coating wore off after a few uses.

Also I've gotten myself a pair of rather well built RCA splitters for the pioneer and Yamaha to share the an old friend twice repaired Marantz cd52 mk2.
I've just repaired/replaced the draw as despite the edject cog and belt replacement prior it had after 30 yrs draw jitter as the tracks had also worn.
I would have used a passive preamp rather than RCA splitter, only because having two devices on at the same time, even though one is operational and the other on standby, can still potentially have and adverse affect on the sound but it's just me and maybe the ones from RadioShack were not up to the job and RCA splitter is far more cost effective.
Though, if you are thinking about it, AliExpress do have a good selection :)

1715440011940.png

Reactions: Stuart83

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I got my eye on the WiiM ultra streamer but I must say the Arcam touch screen streamer looks mighty fine. It handles DSD1024 that's insane, I only know of few titles on NativeDSD, still nice to have the leg room and the bragging rights.
Check out the link.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I would have used a passive preamp rather than RCA splitter, only because having two devices on at the same time, even though one is operational and the other on standby, can still potentially have and adverse affect on the sound but it's just me and maybe the ones from RadioShack were not up to the job and RCA splitter is far more cost effective.
Though, if you are thinking about it, AliExpress do have a good selection :)

View attachment 6682
It's to run one cd player into two amps via an amp/speaker switching box.
One amp is always off only sharing the connection to the cd player preventing any feedback.
Thankyou though 👍

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Wiim has there own forum might wanna visit it ???

Really useful, thank you.

Questions

1715525224606.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
New amp - eyeing a couple of Marantz - Pearl KI limited edition and PM14S1SE.

Recently bought a Marantz 7200 as a “stopgap” upgrade, and fairly happy with it but really keen on stretching my setup (Technics SL 1500C TT, Wiim Pro Plus streamer, Marantz CD 6007 and Focal Aria 906).

Reactions: Jasonovich and Gray

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I believe I have the answer you're looking for! :)

1715589869900.png

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I got my eye on the WiiM ultra streamer but I must say the Arcam touch screen streamer looks mighty fine. It handles DSD1024 that's insane, I only know of few titles on NativeDSD, still nice to have the leg room and the bragging rights.
Check out the link.

Truly intrigued by this Arcam streamer integrated amp, I think Pod will like this :)
Looks formidable and probably costs more than a holiday in the Maldives. I'm salivating, I should have had my rabies shot, I want one but can't afford, still I can always watch the YouTube videos :ROFLMAO:
It's using Class G amplification, I'm really curious, how good is class G?

1715593649678.png
Just to add, it's always good when a main supplier comes out with these flag ship specs, it provides the benchmark for others to follow but it also means other suppliers can come out with the same but cheaper (not always, it depends who you are, NAIM, Cambridge etc), don't you just love competition!

Last edited:
Reactions: Amormusic

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Truly intrigued by this Arcam streamer integrated amp, I think Pod will like this :)
Looks formidable and probably costs more than a holiday in the Maldives. I'm salivating, I should have had my rabies shot, I want one but can't afford, still I can always watch the YouTube videos :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 6698
Just to add, it's always good when a main supplier comes out with this flag ship specs, it means other suppliers can come out with the same but cheaper, don't you just love capitalism!
Just read the sheet for that. It looks very interesting, although expensive I expect. I was sold on the comment that its evolved from the A49. I have previously owned the A39 little brother which was class G and an excellent amp.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 6698
Just to add, it's always good when a main supplier comes out with these flag ship specs, it provides the benchmark for others to follow but it also means other suppliers can come out with the same but cheaper (not always, it depends who you are, NAIM, Cambridge etc), don't you just love competition!
I have an acram sa30 class G and it's a very very nice sounding amp.

Much detail on the lower end of the volume and such a punch and the clarity it's known for on the higher side proving it's class G credentials.
It's a much more powerful amp than the k3 despite wattage claims anything over 52 and it's window breaking territory but it never looses control or it's sonic merits.

I will try not to wax lyrical as it's easy to go overboard with something one likes so much but combined with the fyne 502's its way of throwing the music at you causes genuine frisson.
Suffice to say anything capable of that is an instant winner.

It's quicker to list what it hasn't got as to what it has.

Software issues being firmly in the past (I hung back until they were cleared up before purchase) it's what I finally stuck with for now in my main hifi as some of you know after many demoes and box shifting.

I ended up literally shelving the prior roskan k3 for it in another room.
Since then the Arcam has never given me a reason to look elsewhere.

It's teething issues ment I got a much higher priced award winning amp for much cheaper.

Forgive the mess in the photo I'm still on playing musical 🪑 chairs with the new fynes to find the sweet spot 😁

Attachments

• 1000006037.jpg
    1000006037.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

gasolin

New budget class d amp, different psu specs,plugs (24volt and 6.75 a) i wanted to use a better power cable, since what i had left was a figure 8 cable (i currently use), i wanted a iec c15 cable for under 40 euros (with shipping) if possible, it could also be used if i buy a better psu or a normal sized amp with detachable power cord

Supras power cables are amoungst the cheapest quality hifi power cable,it costs 50 euros + shipping, didn't find anything used regardless of brand, 41 euros is a good deal and makes it possible to try a power cable for not alot of money (without braking the bank), you don't have to buy the supra cable for + 50 euros, even if it's a quality product.

Found this with a 15% discount, even if i don't know the quality of the cable, it was just what i wanted, something to upgrade the stock power cable for a low price, regardless of how big the real difference is,the cable that comes out of the psu and into the amp might be inferior to the thick monosaudio power cable, the mental difference would be an upgrade, knowing you tweaked the sound with a better power cable, better psu can be bought later.

I do have seen amps using power cables as expensive as the amp or almost

41 euros total

View attachment 6678

Super thick cable with 3 velcro strips,plugss looks like good quality
pGiLF31[1].jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts