Power Cables

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I've been reading a lot about these over last few days. Just to clarify, the science behind them is that they should smooth out the power flow to the attached component and shield the component from any interference from the electrical current?

I'd like to try one to see for myself. The Clearer Audio ones seem to get good write ups on here. Is there much difference between the Copper and Copper Alpha in terms of performance per pound ie is the Copper Line worth the extra £60 over the Alpha? The cheaper one would be appealing as i could get a couple and see what difference that made say in TV and amp or Amp and Blu-ray.

I have a Panasonic 46pz85 and Onkyo 606.

Anyone know if they fit panasonic Tvs ok?

Cheers.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have a Wireworld Electra power cord and they fit all pieces just fine. Now for what you want to hear, the biggest upgrade I ever made with any cable was my Electra power cord. Period.

A

Anonymous

harveymt:
the science behind them is that they should smooth out the power flow to the attached component and shield the component from any interference from the electrical current?

There is no science behind them. Lots of psychology and false claims, but no science.

A

Anonymous

harveymt:
I've been reading a lot about these over last few days. Just to clarify, the science behind them is that they should smooth out the power flow to the attached component and shield the component from any interference from the electrical current?

I'd like to try one to see for myself. The Clearer Audio ones seem to get good write ups on here. Is there much difference between the Copper and Copper Alpha in terms of performance per pound ie is the Copper Line worth the extra £60 over the Alpha? The cheaper one would be appealing as i could get a couple and see what difference that made say in TV and amp or Amp and Blu-ray.

I have a Panasonic 46pz85 and Onkyo 606.

Anyone know if they fit panasonic Tvs ok?

Cheers.

The only way to find out is to try them for yourself. Clearer Audio offer a 60 day trial period for you to try the cables. If you don't notice any improvement then return them for your money back.....simple!

Regarding Panasonic Tv's, some people say they fit, some say they don't. Again, try one and find out.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
harveymt:The Clearer Audio ones seem to get good write ups on here. Is there much difference between the Copper and Copper Alpha in terms of performance per pound ie is the Copper Line worth the extra £60 over the Alpha?

Hello harveymt,

There are two critical areas with power cable performance and that is in improved power transfer (improving the performance of power supplies) and shielding (reducing both noise pick up which is then transferred to the component and interactions with other nearby cables such as analogue interconnects).

In comparison to the Copper-line Alpha the main differences with the Copper-line are the use of larger gauge higher-purity conductors, a more advanced shielding system and better connections. The cable also receives a longer burning in period as standard. The result is significantly better performance.

We do have a lot of customers use both cables on Panasonic TVs to good effect. Some of the newer generation Panasonic TVs do have narrow access for the IEC connector which can sometimes cause a problem.

As has been pointed out we offer a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee so you could audition either or both cables without risk.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Darren

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Cyril Mason:harveymt:
the science behind them is that they should smooth out the power flow to the attached component and shield the component from any interference from the electrical current?

There is no science behind them. Lots of psychology and false claims, but no science.

ÿ

Cyril, you are very wrong.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Cyril Mason:harveymt:

Cyril, you are very wrong.

In what way?

A

Anonymous

Cyril Mason:JoelSim:Cyril Mason:harveymt:

In what way?

I think you're wrong too.

Some mains leads have silver plated pins, silver is a better conductor than copper- scientific fact. An example of the "science behind them" as you call it.

Also read this:

http://whathifi.com/Review/Clearer-Audio-Copper-Line-Alpha-mains/

Are you saying what-hifi reviewers are affected by manufacturers 'psychology' ??

jules.

A

Anonymous

jules153:Cyril Mason:JoelSim:Cyril Mason:harveymt:

In what way?

Some mains leads have silver plated pins, silver is a better conductor than copper- scientific fact. An example of the "science behind them" as you call it.

Also read this:

Are you saying what-hifi reviewers are affected by manufacturers 'psychology' ??

jules.

Silver is only a marginally better conductor than copper, and that is easily compensated for by using slightly thicker copper.

It's 100% bonkers to suggest that mains cable differences are, or ever could be, audible. Don't believe everything you read in Hifi mags.

A

Anonymous

How can you have 'thicker' copper on a 13A plug pin? It wouldn't fit in the socket then... !!

A

Anonymous

jules153:How can you have 'thicker' copper on a 13A plug pin? It wouldn't fit in the socket then... !!

A plug pin doesn't need thicker copper.

A

Anonymous

Umm this could prove tiresome so I'll cut to the chase:

Have you ever tried an upgraded mains cable?

A

Anonymous

jules153:Umm this could prove tiresome so I'll cut to the chase:

What is there to try? If it works it works.

A

Anonymous

Cyril Mason:
jules153:Umm this could prove tiresome so I'll cut to the chase:

What is there to try? If it works it works.

Well I always demo new hifi equipment to make sure it fits with the sound I want. When I tried an Atlas EOS mains cable on my CD8X it made the overall sound too bright, on the pre amp however it was perfect (more detail but no tonal chages).

That is "what there is to try".

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:jules153:Cyril Mason:JoelSim:Cyril Mason:harveymt:

In what way?

Also read this:

jules.

Silver is only a marginally better conductor than copper, and that is easily compensated for by using slightly thicker copper.

It's 100% bonkers to suggest that mains cable differences are, or ever could be, audible. Don't believe everything you read in Hifi mags.

PURE silver is WAY more conductive then pure copper (Of course the fact you need to combine with other metals confuses this a little)

But regardless. Clearly you yourself havnt tried anything worthwhile and so therefore have ZERO perspective from which to comment. I dont go reading hifi mags and believing everything I read (FAR from it in fact)

I test them myself. Perhaps YOU should do the same as you clearly havent by the answers you give throughout this forum

A

Anonymous

What hifi is funded by advertising revenue. The reviews are subjective, not objective. I can subjectively think painting my cables red white and blue makes the sound better, objectively it does not. Placebo effects are real so things have to be double blind tested. If there is a difference it should have a scientific logical explaination and be measurable. If that all stands up to crictal peer review. Then it is real. The reviews are not double blind, the scientific explaniation is OK but when taken in context of how the electricity got to your plug in the first place and how electricty works it is a excuse - bogus - invalid - obsurd. It does not hold up to reality if you do any research into how it is suppose to work. Do some research on the web into hifi myths and bad science. Do not rely on faith in the honesty of others who stand to profit from those too trusting, you may have faith in god but what hifi is not god.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
knightout:What hifi is funded by advertising revenue.

Yes, advertising is part of our revenue stream. And your point is...?

knightout:The reviews are subjective, not objective.

Again, correct.

knightout:Placebo effects are real so things have to be
double blind tested.

Ah, there you go with your cable thread cliches...

knightout:The reviews are not double
blind

How do you know?

knightout:a excuse - bogus - invalid - obsurd. It does not
hold up to reality if you do any research into how it is suppose to
work.

That's 'an excuse', 'absurd' and 'supposed'. You're getting yourself into a bit of a lather, aren't you?

knightout:Do
not rely on faith in the honesty of others who stand to profit from
those too trusting

No, you've lost me now...

knightout:what hifi is not god.

Heretic!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
knightout:what hifi is not god.

Heretic!

Where's my pitchfork and my good stones!

These cable threads do get unruly quickly don't they? I wouldn't say that I'm one who takes things as a certainty just because a reviewer I respect says so, but I do take it as a worthwhile RECOMMENDATION. As such, with the good things that I have been reading about these Clearer Audio mains cables, I will be taking advantage of the 60 days offer from Clearer Audio once I've moved house next week to hear what I hear.

For those interested I'll post my findings. For those not interested, surely there's a thread that you do find interesting?

A

Anonymous

Posted on another thread but quite appropriate here too:

I agree the placebo effect exists everywhere and in everything one does, the mind is a powerful thing, not quite always "mind-over- matter powerful" but nonetheless a force to be reckoned with.

Trevor can answer your point himself but I understand what he is referring to - the "tight wallet" effect. For example, one doesn't buy expensive wine saying it is a waste of money, but then gulps down someone else's Chateau Lafite with gusto.

There is another commonly seen effect - the "sour grapes" effect. For example, one criticises others (quite vehemently sometimes) as blind/deaf "snake oil"-infused idiots because they are fortunate enough to spend some decent money on hi fi accessories like cables, mains block which may only give marginal benefits in terms of the cost vs benefit ratio. But hey it is their money and they can do damn well anything they like with it.

Then there is also the "Clapham Omnibus" effect. For example, one disputes/criticises something unless that something can be objectively proved by scientific measurements, conveniently ignoring the fact that like finger-prints, individual listeners are all uniquely differently in his or her ability to see, taste, hear, touch and smell.

Perhaps there is also the "testosterone" effect - a lot of posters here are men and sometimes, their instincts to win or conquer come across in their posts. This is of course a sexist generalisation, and probably unwarranted as there are plenty of gentlemen and ladies on this forum.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
knightout:

What hifi is funded by advertising revenue. The reviews are subjective, not objective. I can subjectively think painting my cables red white and blue makes the sound better, objectively it does not. Placebo effects are real so things have to be double blind tested. If there is a difference it should have a scientific logical explaination and be measurable. If that all stands up to crictal peer review. Then it is real. The reviews are not double blind, the scientific explaniation is OK but when taken in context of how the electricity got to your plug in the first place and how electricty works it is a excuse - bogus - invalid - obsurd. It does not hold up to reality if you do any research into how it is suppose to work. Do some research on the web into hifi myths and bad science. Do not rely on faith in the honesty of others who stand to profit from those too trusting, you may have faith in god but what hifi is not god.

Look forward to more inciting wonderful posts from you I will follow all your posts with eager anticipation.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank god it's Friday!

For me I have in mind a bottle of claret this evening, pate on toast with a few nibbles, selection of cheeses on thins.
To the sound of Vivaldi, then when the placebo and mains cable effect kicks in watch a Blue ray.

Oh, the indulgence! Then it will be knight out.

PS..Has anyone noticed how good radio stations sound on freeview?

A

Anonymous

This is such a comical thread. So many misconceptions, so much misunderstanding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts