PMC twenty™ 21: A Personal Review

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exelent write El Hefe, but sorry for what i'm about to say, you should demo the PMC on top of dedicaded stands!

I did the same thing with my home demo of the Dyns X12, i demo them on top of my MA B4.

Pro AC have a big box and low frequencies are felt in the speaker abouve, the twite is not leveled, in a dedicaded stand would be lower, close to ear level.

No the less your outcomes were very good, but imagime if the PMC were in stands...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
No the less your outcomes were very good, but imagime if the PMC were in stands...

Thanks HiFi Outlaw.... maybe your line above should be my close out remark in the review...

They are good... I am even thinking to get them either for my rear speakers or even as a second stereo speaker alongside my ProAc.

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Lovely write-up, thanks.

It makes me yearn to hear the 21 to see how it measures up against the 22. Where I am at, the PMC dealer (in 2012) stocked only the 22. The 22 produced a surprisingly amount of bass for its dimensions, I'd expect the 21 to be almost as proficient. Really wonder if it matches the finesse of Harbeth P3ESR and Spendor SA1, two fine standmounts with which it shares similar cabinet volume.

cheerSS

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

They are good... I am even thinking to get them either for my rear speakers or even as a second stereo speaker alongside my ProAc.

thats the thing with rear channel, i think it will be a waste of money to put them as rears, but thats me, i'm always thinking what they can do being part of a stereo system.

thats why I prefer to use dedicaded rear channel speakers, that way i'm never tempted... :roll:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Electro, SSM,

The 22 ... I am sure is a step up to 21 but for moderately size space... The 21 can perform at par I suppose.

At this stage, I am having the 23s to demo and play around. The Centre is already a done deal.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Thanks Electro, SSM,

The 22 ... I am sure is a step up to 21 but for moderately size space... The 21 can perform at par I suppose.

At this stage, I am having the 23s to demo and play around. The Centre is already a done deal.

wow, that should be a very neat AV set up!

will you create a dadicaded room for it?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hifi Outlaw....

unfortunately no dedicated room for home theatre.... But yes... The 23 and Centre are neatly set up now

http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/2014-home-theater-upgrade-getting-there.html

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Hifi Outlaw....

unfortunately no dedicated room for home theatre.... But yes... The 23 and Centre are neatly set up now

http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/2014-home-theater-upgrade-getting-there.html

you are a Man with taste El Hefe! Love the idea of having hi end speakers for AV duties, i've bought a dynaudio X22 to go along with my X12 and my AV front end sound very good, bet your sound even better!

Have a look... ;)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/the-outlaw-system-dac-hunt?page=3

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Nice one HiFi Outlaw.

I never really 'spend' on home theatre speakers... previously my Mission M34i, Infinity centre and Wharfedale dipoles cost me only 600 quid. Now that I spent much more... the improvement is well worth the money. I have always thought for movies... just hook up any 5 speakers to the AV receiver and it should be enjoyable. Maaaannn all these years... not hearing what I am suppose to hear...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
El Hefe said:
Very capable speakers.... I think I am 2 or 3 years late in enjoying this model.... Although I was looking for a pair for my home theatre.... but I could not resist to try it for music too.

PMC 21 Review

Sorry, not had time to read the review.

BTW, how's the Lenco/Goldring TT sounding now?

PP.... what can I say... the Lenco is reaaaalllyyy testing my Clearaudio Concept. I must admit that I am spinning more on Lenco nowadays. Only when the newer LPs... cannot fit the spindle on the Lenco... than I fire up the Concept.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Great review.

I have the 23 connected to my M6i. Wonder if you are getting around to trying that combo at some point...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Axman,

I would love to try out the 23 with my M6i... but the idea of carrying it down from upstairs.... I have to forget about the idea... My take would be.... If it sounds good on my Yamaha AV.... it must sound even better with M6i ;)

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Great review and very true.

I have 21's as rears and 22's for the fronts and they are really awsome.

How do you find the centre ?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
kmlav said:
Great review and very true.

I have 21's as rears and 22's for the fronts and they are really awsome.

How do you find the centre ?

Thanks kmlav...

Ahhhh I am thinking to get the 21 for rears.... but I feel that its an overkill for rears.... but now that you said its great... I might reconsider...

The centre is actually what I am impressed most... I alway struggle to get a good balance between centre and front channels... But this centre speaker delivers crystal clear dialogoues... eventhough at low volumes... Full review in my blog soon.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Axman,

I would love to try out the 23 with my M6i... but the idea of carrying it down from upstairs.... I have to forget about the idea... My take would be.... If it sounds good on my Yamaha AV.... it must sound even better with M6i ;)

Well, you could bring the M6i upstairs and save yourself a trip :dance:. You know you want to....

Which Siltech cables are you using for your HiFi setup?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Great review. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting.

I briefly had the 21s in my system and found them to be superb. IMO the 21s and the kef ls50 are the two best small stand mount speakers on the market.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:
Great review. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting.

I briefly had the 21s in my system and found them to be superb. IMO the 21s and the kef ls50 are the two best small stand mount speakers on the market.

Thanks jaxwired...

Yes... the 21s.... is in its own league. Not many bookshelf can match its big sound.

I just finished a review on the twenty.C centre channel as well... and again its performance is mesmerizing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts