Question PMC too bright?

The fx

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
I have a Naim nd5xs2 streamer hicap dr, Naim nac202 preamp and Naim 250 dr power amp with chord shawline cable. The speakers are PMC twenty 5 21 and are standmounted, the problem is the longer the streamer runs in the brighter/harsher the sounds becomes, maybe change the PMCs? I have a budget of £2.5k

I have a Naim nd5xs2 streamer hicap dr, Naim nac202 preamp and Naim 250 dr power amp with chord shawline cable. The speakers are PMC twenty 5 21 and are standmounted, the problem is the longer the streamer runs in the brighter/harsher the sounds becomes, maybe change the PMCs? I have a budget of £2.5k
I would suggest if you want a speaker that isn't bright, Dynaudio Contours work very well with Naim. Likewise, if you don't mind going the used route, older PMC 'i' series are tremendous with Naims.

That said, before splashing the cash, I would try re positioning the speakers, slightly closer to the wall which will bulk the bass out slightly. Also, try extra toe-in or toe-out until you hit the sweet spot.

How long have you had the speakers and were they brand new?

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Maybe you're not, but if have to wonder if you're one of the (many) people these days, with speakers in rooms with acres of shiny, hard flooring (albeit often with a postage-stamp sized rug :))
As an owner of (the original) PMC 21, I love the HF performance - but wouldn't dream of putting them in such a room.
(My room has wall to wall carpet - but until 2 walls were covered in cork tiles and the ceiling in raised-pattern soft tiles - it was not good for sound).
I do realise that even in the perfect room, they'd be too bright for some tastes though.

D

Deleted member 116933

Controversial for some BUT I would try the cheaper option first and replace the chord cable for some naca5 or some Linn k20. At the naim's recommended length of 3 some meters. Naim is tuned form the ground up with this cable in mind though not as important these days it certainly seems to play with the kit nice.

I had some PMC 2023's running with a nap 200dr id say there anything but bright, detailed yes! but bright no.

If speakers are on the agenda

Id be looking at revel m106 plays very well with naim, punchy and holographic they should be on you audition list

PMCs are generally a bit ‘hot’ in the treble, as that gives them added ‘air’ and detail to some ears. They are best when firing straight into the room without toe-in, rather than sitting on axis.
How are yours set up?

You also mention “...the longer the streamer runs in...”. Does that mean you have a new component? Do you have a CD player or turntable that’s less bright?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts