Cable choice PMC/Cyrus

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
No, it's a fact... theres the 'Off-topic and miscellaneous' subforum for that sort of thing.. ;-)

Ah, but I thought by saying, " this isn't the place to discuss them.", you meant the WHF forum.

[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]...I happen to agree, but wanted to reply to a post which was on this thread....and in my defence M'Lud, I did link to a more appropriate thread that I started. ....and I was being facetious [/font](overly smart?),[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"] with my comment you pulled me up on.[/font]

[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]Given the circumstanctal evidence and my honesty, will you be lenient with my sentance. [/font]*biggrin*

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
No, it's a fact... theres the 'Off-topic and miscellaneous' subforum for that sort of thing.. ;-)

Ah, but I thought by saying, " this isn't the place to discuss them.", you meant the WHF forum.

...I happen to agree, but wanted to reply to a post which was on this thread....and in my defence M'Lud, I did link to a more appropriate thread that I started. ....and I was being facetious (overly smart?), with my comment you pulled me up on.

Given the circumstanctal evidence and my honesty, will you be lenient with my sentance. *biggrin*

Of course, however as you sussed me in the fact I did actually mean on the WHF forum, .................off with his head!

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Wasn't this about speaker cable?

Nope.

As long as it's contentious....does it matter? *diablo*

Yes,..... and no..

I do, however, think cable threads are more humerous to read. The political discusions can all s+d off to another forum as far as I am concerned.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has got one but this isn't the place to discuss them.

I never did like that expression. However ... cables are far indeed more amusing. I saw that some people pay over £300 for a main cable that provides absolutely no benefit over a standard one you get with your hifi. A colleague who knows a fair bit about electronics mentioned today that some people pay a fortune for digital connectors. We both smiled at that.

No-one with a degree in physics, electronics or similar subject would use anything but decent inexpensive cables. A surge protector is also worth having.

The stereophile.com reviews seem good. I wonder what they have to say on such matters?

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Apologies, you are quite correct....I was in a hurry when posting that.....what I meant to say is that our GDP "growth rate" (0.2%) had now dropped below that of Greece (0.4%).

Yes that's true, although the seasonally adjusted and annualised rates from the IMF are pretty similar:

UK - 2%

US - 2.3%

Greece - 2.2%

Germany - 1.6%

France - 1.4%

http://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDP_RPCH@WEO/OEMDC/ADVEC/WEOWORLD

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I will reply over here - as I have disrupted this thread enough: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/topic-and-miscellaneous/strapped-if-youre-out-there?page=5

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There seem to be only 2 kinds of speaker cable for me. Firstly you need to have an AMP that is giving a load of AMPS. Something with seriously high power. I think you possess this so go for hugely fat silver cables for detail and hugely fat copper cables for beefy bass. I have not been able to alter any other characteristics with my sample offcuts of loads of cables I got from a hifi shop that went out of business a decade ago. I had some aluminium dome MA Silver S8 speakers with a metallic tweeter with too much treble and thick copper cables brought the bass up to perfect levels. Equally I now own KEF Q500s with amazing bass and perfect midrange but I wanted more sparkle and I kept changing between all the lengths I have and the QED silver anniversary works best because the bass flops on the thick copper stock cables.

You can really only use speaker cable to balance the speaker you have. If I was on cambridge amplification I'd need mroe copper for bass. If I was on Marantz high end I'd already be warm so I'd go silver thick for detail.

It's never going to be snake oil for me but then I only buy offcuts and discount stuff when it comes up. I like to play with cable.

I have no experience of changing sound between phono cables though - only reduction in interference from plain stock cable when using vinyl over 10 meters which was impossible with stock phono leads due to hiss and fuzziness but some nordost cable is silent.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
.........Meanwhile, back at the cable thread........   ;-)

Daesh would be a good name for a power cord.

You are right Vladimir!

The Daesh Infidel - "Brutally punishing of unfamiliar material, this mid range power chord from Daesh sits just below their Paradise range. Lacking any real dynamism, but with far too much attack, this cable has a tendency to cut off the upper end completely. A hopelessly outdated design which will destroy any classical material you may have in your collection. Avoid with your life.".

Thumbs up

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Someone please do a Dire Straits Brothers in Arms review to prevent people going into coma.

I tried to book myself into a Swiss euthanasia clinic, but they've had a sudden surge of bookings, and don't have any spare places.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts