PMC and Naim: a good match?

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
On Wednesday I hope to audition ex-demo PMC Twenty.21. On paper, they look great and I am rather excited that I might get these speakers for a fairly good price. However, the dealer doesn't stock Naim.

Since auditioning Neat's Motive SX-3 with Arcam and Naim amplification, though, Naim is certainly an amplifier that is firmly on my radar for great sound. Comparing Arcam's A29 and Naim's Nait 5si with the Neat speakers, I felt Naim produced much clearer, more refined sound. Especially, the clarity when listening to piano pieces was much greater (e.g. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata) but also the full range of vocals was more impressive (e.g. Allegri's Miserere and an aria from Wagner's Tannhauser). For big orchestral pieces, we listened to Sibelius (Symphony No. 5), Brahms (Symphony No. 3), Schumann (Piano Concerto), and Wagner (Tannhauser Overture). Naim produced much clearer the different layers of music in these great pieces of music.

Arcam's A29 was great too, but we felt that, with Neat speaker, Naim did a much better job. We were fairly impressed; and as a novice in this hifi business I was amazed to observe so much difference between these two well reviewed amplifiers.

Now I wonder whether I should expect Naim to do a "better job" with PMC as well, but unfortunately I won't be able to compare Naim and Arcam when auditionig the PMC speakers. The dealer however stocks Arcam.

Any ideas here in the forum: are PMC and Naim a good match, especially when compared to a pairing with Arcam? What sort of difference in sound would one expect? Maybe it's the other way around, with PMC Arcam does a better job than Naim?? Insights would be much appreciated!

Many thanks!!!

I don't think I'd use the nait 5si with the 21's...if previous nait 5i's are anything to go by...it could be a bit too excitable and leave you a bit fatigued.I use my 21's with the next amp up in the naim ladder"the nait xs " which is a great combo with it's smoother sound and can better control the little 21's, BUT they perform much better with a wall behind them (think 15-30cm's)than sat in free space.Although above your budget brand new the xs is a fantastic used buy and can be had for around the same price as a new nait si.

Oh and naim and neat speakers are known to go very well together.If your heart is set on naim electronics you should have a wee look on hi-fi corner on the naim forum,Although it can get a bit anyl..it's a good source of info on naim kit and accompanying speakers etc.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
As it happens I just received an ex dem pair of twenty.21s in the post today to pair with my Unitiqute 2/Nap 100. Incredible sound quality I must say. I've been through enough speakers to hopefully be beyond rash new toy excitement. Detail is excellent and the overall balance of the sound perfect for my taste, not too analytical, not too warm. Needless to say it's a very fast and extremely musical pairing.

Bass isn't very deep but what's there is so taut, full and detailed it's not a problem. Obviously their size isn't going to fill a large room but they are more capable than their small dimensions would suggest. Quite forgiving too despite the high detail. Spotify sounds excellent. A great match and I'm very happy.

rainsoothe

Hi. Both Neat and PMC are largely used with Naim, but it's all a matter of taste. Never heard Neats, but I thought the PMC db1i sounded great with my old UQ2 Nap 100 combo in my dealer's room. Twenty 21 are kinda tiresome for my ears, so I'll second the Nait XS suggestion (it is one of the more... not-in-your-face Naim amps), but Arcam should be a very good match indeed.

But I'm afraid you got bit by the Naim bug.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Hi. Both Neat and PMC are largely used with Naim, but it's all a matter of taste. Never heard Neats, but I thought the PMC db1i sounded great with my old UQ2 Nap 100 combo in my dealer's room. Twenty 21 are kinda tiresome for my ears, so I'll second the Nait XS suggestion (it is one of the more... not-in-your-face Naim amps), but Arcam should be a very good match indeed.

But I'm afraid you got bit by the Naim bug.

It goes to show what a mine field forum opinion is. I couldn't in a million years describe the twenty.21s as tiresome with Naim. They have the sweetest treble I've ever heard. Highly detailed yes, tiresome no. Kef LS50s, now they were tough going with Naim.

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for the responses -- it is really helpful to get first-hand experiences from Naim owners!! I fear though that my wife would get rather crossed if I stepped up the Naim amplifier ladder. I promised the hifi system wouldn't be more expensive than her Yamaha hybrid piano... Or I do ineed look into getting a second-hand Naim Nait XS II to stay within the budget.

In any case I will look out for possible listening fatigue when auditioning Naim with PMC's Twenty.21, and I shall put DB1i (Gold?) on my list for demo.

This coming weekend I will have a chance to compare Neat's SX-3 with Dynaudio's Excite X14 -- with both Arcam and Naim amplification. I read that Naim and Dynaudio's new Excite speakers work really well together. So this might confirm that I am bitten by the "Naim bug". What in particular does draw people into Naim's "spell"? Is it the transparency? My audiophile vocabularly is poorly developed, but I think what I liked about the Naim/Neat combo was this extraordinary transparency, whereas the Arcam was a bit "muddy" with Neat (if this makes sense). In any case, I will keep an "open ear" for Arcam.

Hi again Timo.

Naim is legendary for it's so called "PRAT" pace,rhythm and timing aka musicality,this could be what is drawing you into the naim sound.Also don't be put off by buying a used xs.they're reliable amps as is most things naim.....and the default setting is keep them powered up.lol.

rainsoothe

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi again Timo.

Naim is legendary for it's so called "PRAT" pace,rhythm and timing aka musicality,this could be what is drawing you into the naim sound.Also don't be put off by buying a used xs.they're reliable amps as is most things naim.....and the default setting is keep them powered up.lol.

That's the stuff. They have a wonderful way with the music flow and the rhythm. Some like it, some don't (because neutral they are not).

Yes, if you can demo the DB1 golds, do audition them. Imo they're sweeter sounding then the Twenty series. But it all depends very much on your room. For the record, it's not that the Twenty series sound tiresome with Naim to everyone, but they do to me - it's because they're VERY precise in the high registers. But again, don't let this influence you.

And, again for the record, a second hand Nait XS (first gen, not the second one) would be my choice over a new 5si. If you don't like it, you can sell it for no loss (or minimal) and carry on with your plan of buying new stuff, that you auditioned for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts