Hi guys...haven't been on the forum since it was abandoned a few years back..I only recently found out that it's back up and running....anyway I have been using a Naim superuniti for a few years now after selling up my separates as I was getting frustrated with my upgradeitis.lol...but now I'm ready to get back to some sort of a separate system....I've recently purchased a njc headphone amp and dac mainly for driving my Beyerdynamic dt1990pro fed from desktop pc....but I've also tried the dac fed from desktop pc into the superuniti with pleasing results...it's just so musical....so I've just got a superb deal on a exposure 3010s2d amplifier as I'm getting the feeling that the amp section in the superuniti is getting to be the weekest link in the chain now and also I want to get back to keeping the amp/dac separate to avoid the " getting a bit long in the tooth " scenario of the all in one units so I am planning to sell the superuniti after a service whenever the current backlog dissipates.
My pc is running as a roon core also, I'm really just wondering if it's worth getting some sort of network streamer between pc and dac or should I keep it simple...my pc is also a gaming rig and is sited within close proximity to the rest of my kit, speakers are pmc twenty 21 on atacama moseco 6 stands .

Gray

Interesting that you're going back - some would have us believe all-in-ones are the future.

Have you got a reason for thinking the Naim needs a service?

To me, the main benefit of a dedicated streamer is that a PC doesn't need to be involved.
But it sounds like that's not an issue for you, so I would question whether you'd gain much from a streamer.

Your speakers are great, I own the same model, also on Atacama (SE24) stands.

In summary, if I were you I:
Wouldn't get the Naim serviced.
Wouldn't buy a streamer.
Wouldn't change the speakers.

Feel free to ignore me, I just like saving money, even other people's :)

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Grey,there is always that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that your missing something with a all in one unit..but anyway..yes I do have a reason for the superuniti needing a service, The screen has failed on the unit ..a well known issue..other than that it's fine..but you can't get deep into the menus which really is a must ...so a service includes the screen repair apparently...and if I want to sell it on.....well...who'd be interested if the screen wasn't working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Oh and I've changed my tag Al..I used to frequent the forum and we used to chat quite a bit.lol..
I was even thinking about the jcat usb xe card, big Terry Ellis(pursuit perfect system)rates it very highly ..used to chat with him also when he was on the forum..oh and Macspur..

Tinman1952

Oh and I've changed my tag Al..I used to frequent the forum and we used to chat quite a bit.lol..
I was even thinking about the jcat usb xe card, big Terry Ellis(pursuit perfect system)rates it very highly ..used to chat with him also when he was on the forum..oh and Macspur..
Hi. I never think it’s a good idea to use a pc (particularly a gaming pc) as a source because of the electrical noise etc.. Have you thought of getting a Raspberry Pi 4 and using the USB out into your DAC? You could even use it as a Roon endpoint with the right software…..just a thought.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi tinman...I'm actually thinking of using the optical out from the pc into my dac, my understanding is that it would then not be electrically connected to the pc and hf noise wouldn't be a issue, but I will say that atm I'm using a audioquest carbon usb cable into my njc dac and it sounds bloody good.
I'm in no way clued up on raspberry pi type units,
hence the interest in the usb xe card from jcat and a dedicated streamer, although I don't really want the dac part of it, some kind of streaming transport would be good, but I'm only aware of one such product the Auralic Aries g1 and it's not cheap.

Tinman1952

Hi tinman...I'm actually thinking of using the optical out from the pc into my dac, my understanding is that it would then not be electrically connected to the pc and hf noise wouldn't be a issue, but I will say that atm I'm using a audioquest carbon usb cable into my njc dac and it sounds bloody good.
hence the interest in the usb xe card from jcat and a dedicated streamer, although I don't really want the dac part of it, some kind of streaming transport would be good, but I'm only aware of one such product the Auralic Aries g1 and it's not cheap.
Hi. Yes you are correct that the optical out is galvanically isolated so no electrical noise. It will work ok. Problem is optical is usually limited to 24/96 and the connection is SP/DIF. The USB connection is capable of much higher bit rates/sample rates and with most DACs these days is asynchronous. That means the DAC controls the data being sent and thus lower jitter.
I suggested the Pi because it is just a streaming transport and only £54 plus say £10 for a case. Software can be downloaded for free usually.
Much cheaper than the JCAT card!
If you are not happy with a Pi there are certainly many cheaper options than the Auralic! 👍

Reactions: Gray

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yeah I was aware most optical outs are 96khz...I can't find those spec for my mobo (Asus rog crosshair viii hero wi-fi). The njc dac was originally built with the intention of being used as a cd transport, so the coaxial and optical inputs have a sample rate of up to 192khz with the usb only a 48khz native sample rate and then being upscaled to 192khz, although ateotd all these numbers mean nothing if the source material isn't up to scratch
I was thinking of a bluesound node 2i, but again the dac circuit would be redundant, although I've read that it is quite a capable unit, but I need equal to or better than what the Superuniti is capable of in a streaming sense.

Tinman1952

Yeah I was aware most optical outs are 96khz...I can't find those spec for my mobo (Asus rog crosshair viii hero wi-fi). The njc dac was originally built with the intention of being used as a cd transport, so the coaxial and optical inputs have a sample rate of up to 192khz with the usb only a 48khz native sample rate and then being upscaled to 192khz, although ateotd all these numbers mean nothing if the source material isn't up to scratch
I was thinking of a bluesound node 2i, but again the dac circuit would be redundant, although I've read that it is quite a capable unit, but I need equal to or better than what the Superuniti is capable of in a streaming sense.
The Bluesound Node 2i (now just called Node I believe) is the go-to choice. Many choose it as a streamer into a separate DAC as the Bluos system is well liked. The only other streamers that come to mind are the SOTM SMS200 Neo (£449) which is USB out only, or the Yamaha WXC50 (£269) which has coaxial and optical out. I think all the above would do justice to the Superuniti which is now quite long in the tooth.🙂

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yeah the superuniti is getting a bit old now, but still capable, I'm just trying to put a system together that isn't going to be obsolete in no time, hence the exposure 3010s2d amplifier....no thrills..just a good solid amp, pc as source,can be upgraded as I see fit and the dac is a cracking little unit that njc will upgrade when a new dac board becomes available to them and at a reasonable price I'm sure...my pmc's..I've had these for around five years and see no reason to change them...lovely sound and work well in my room and close to the wall.

D

Deleted member 116933

It's not something that I would do, even though not electrically connected there is still a fair amount of electrical sourced sound added to the signal. You're better going into a re-clocker then out again or using a galvanically isolated USB input if you have one. I hear the processor and graphics card working through my optical output to my DAC.

Golden note on youtube has a very good video about it and explains it fair better than i can.

An affordable solution still even though they have gone up is Chromecast audio or an alloy digital meant to outpace many streamers.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Well I've been playing about with it the past few days, optical straight into my dac and usb...it's sounds fantastic with either output...I can't say I'm aware of any excess electrical noise or whatever, just really the fans, but they're spinning at a very low rpm as the cpu and graphics card aren't really being pushed when playing music. I really think all this rf/hf noise is being a bit over emphasised by folks who would have you spending a fortune on usb cards etc etc, I will add that my pc is no pc world budget desktop..this has been built with top quality psu, mobo,water cooled system 2 x m.2 ssd cards and hdd for my music library...and just checked, my optical out is 24/192 capable, also the NJC reference audio dac is a absolute cracking wee unit that leaves my Naim superuniti lacking in every department by comparison.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yes..I'm aware that the mkii is imminent..but both versions will be using the Google home/chromecast software I believe, so I don't for see any issues with a lack of support for mki...it's just no one can fix it if it breaks, but no moving parts etc...I don't really fear for it's longevity from a company such as Primare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts