Please suggest a classic class A amp

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I have never heard a class A amp, but everything I read about them makes them sound pretty amazing.

Just so I can try one, I would like to try and buy a second hand one, that I can then potentially sell on for minimal loss.

Can anyone suggest a good quality, great sounding class A amp to buy off eBay or somewhere similar? Ideally significantly less than £1000 ;)

Incidentally, the speakers I have to choose from to use the amp with are Spendor SA1's, PMC FB1i's, or Leema Xero's. Which would be your choice with the suggested amps?

Cheers guys

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Sugden A21a. Beautiful sounding amplifier and a real hi-fi classic. You would have to audition it with the speakers you list to ensure the synergy is right.

+1. I think at that price range is the best class A you can find!

gregvet said:
I have never heard a class A amp, but everything I read about them makes them sound pretty amazing.

Just so I can try one, I would like to try and buy a second hand one, that I can then potentially sell on for minimal loss.

Can anyone suggest a good quality, great sounding class A amp to buy off eBay or somewhere similar? Ideally significantly less than £1000 ;)

Incidentally, the speakers I have to choose from to use the amp with are Spendor SA1's, PMC FB1i's, or Leema Xero's. Which would be your choice with the suggested amps?

Cheers guys

I cannot see how you can shortlist speakers when you have not even got the amp yet.
However,that aside, I would say the Sugden is a good starting point. Other than that you will be into the realm of something along the lines of a Croft or valve-based amp.
Out of your speaker listing I would say the PMC's would be best for a pairing (most Class A amps are low powered and require pretty efficient speakers to give their best)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
Out of your speaker listing I would say the PMC's would be best for a pairing (most Class A amps are low powered and require pretty efficient speakers to give their best)

Don't close your mind too much about this. I have a "low-powered" tube apms (35W) and it drove perfectly (despite some people here not agreeing completely) a couple of Sonus Faber Guarenri Memento (88db). I have also heard a Musical Fidelity AMS35i which is supposed to be a 35W amp and drove beautifully a pair of Avalon Idea at 88db.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
The Sugden is obviously a clear favourite here. I am on the case!

I should have made clear also, that is could be a power amp rather than an integrated. Does that mean there are any others worth trying? For eg, there is a Krell class A power amp on eBay that looks like it will go for about a grand ATM.....

Any other options welcome.

Thanks everyone so far, it's nice to get everyone in agreement lol

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
I should have made clear also, that is could be a power amp rather than an integrated. Does that mean there are any others worth trying?

Sugden A21p :)

They are rarer, but I have seen them on ebay sometimes. (You'll need to be patient.)

Here is what you are looking for...

clicky

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alternatively, there are Yamaha amps/receivers from the late 1970s/early 1980s - like the old CA1000 - that have a feature whereby they can be switched from class A/B to pure class A. (Only when they are powered off first though.)

I will try and find an example. (Best to buy one that has proof of recent servicing though.)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, discounting Japanese amps of yesteryear, there's probably only one well-known amp that fits the description/price range...

I have an A21a and it's a fine amp with the right speakers (not always possible to know what works by paper specs), but if you're just curious about the "Class A sound" and have a dealer nearby, pop in for a listen of the A21SE, Masterclass or even the MF AMS 35i to get the true picture of what Class A is really all about--the knowledge might not make you happier, though! :twisted:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Yes, discounting Japanese amps of yesteryear, there's probably only one well-known amp that fits the description/price range...

I have an A21a and it's a fine amp with the right speakers (not always possible to know what works by paper specs), but if you're just curious about the "Class A sound" and have a dealer nearby, pop in for a listen of the A21SE, Masterclass or even the MF AMS 35i to get the true picture of what Class A is really all about--the knowledge might not make you happier, though! :twisted:

Don't do that if you are not ready to spend over 6k eur! It is addictive :wall: :rockout:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
paradiziac said:
if you're just curious about the "Class A sound" and have a dealer nearby, pop in for a listen of the A21SE, Masterclass or even the MF AMS 35i to get the true picture of what Class A is really all about--the knowledge might not make you happier, though! :twisted:

I don't have a sugden dealer locally as far as I am aware (I will check tho). Even MF aren't stocked by any local dealers AFAIK.

Given that I can't afford to buy any of those amps new, I would feel a bit bad demoing as its a waste of the dealers time even if I had the option of doing so locally.

I would love to hear the MF tho, it sounds like a real 'for life' amp!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Pioneer A-09[/b]

490203_424f25a33fad5279adc4d135ffcd5535.jpg

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Seems there are a few if you dig around...

electrocompaniet ECI-2 2x50W/8ohm class A

images

Now that I would jump at. Only had limited exposure to much higher end electrocompaniet amps but both times they were lovely.

Drool

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The original Musical Fidelity A1. There's one on eBay just now for somewhat less than a Sugden will cost you. I think he's being a bit ambitious on price though; one went recently for more than that but many others have gone for the £100 mark...

Lovely amps the A1's but can be prone to reliability issues, the heatsinks were to small and they used to lock up. You'd probably want to change the switches and volume control (pot) as these were possible fails aswell. If you like to tinker and not be worried about that side of it, it can be a nice amp.
The Sugden is a good shout and worth the money but if you sit tight, keep your eye out for the Musical Fidelity A1000 with its own power supply. Beautiful valve like sound with lush mid and quite a dark treble, gorgeous.

pics_v2php.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have been given most of what I would have suggested, so the only other thing to throw into the mix, would be to look at Valve amps. The likes of Icon Audio and Pure Sound do affordable models...though they would need reasonably efficient speakers (Audio Note/PMC/Proac/ Kef)

Here is an example: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7516644

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You have been given most of what I would have suggested, so the only other thing to throw into the mix, would be to look at Valve amps. The likes of Icon Audio and Pure Sound do affordable models...though they would need reasonably efficient speakers (Audio Note/PMC/Proac/ Kef) Here is an example: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7516644

Thanks Cno. I'm not sure I'm ready for valve amps yet tho. You'll have me in a pipe and slippers before I know it :rofl:

The idea is not to end up with a whole new system Paradiziac , merely to hear what the fuss is about. I've only just bought my spendors and love them, the last thing I want to do is end up having to buy some more speakers to go with the amp I was supposed to be selling on after a demo lol

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
The idea is not to end up with a whole new system Paradiziac , merely to hear what the fuss is about. I've only just bought my spendors and love them, the last thing I want to do is end up having to buy some more speakers to go with the amp I was supposed to be selling on after a demo lol

You never know what you'll end up with when the bug bites you :read:

Seriously, enjoy your new speakers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts