Please Help - No Sky via new AV Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can somebdy please help me? After months of reading reviews, I am now the proud owner of a Panasonic Pz80, Tannoy Mercury custome and the Yamaha 863 av amp.

The Sky+ box is connected via s-video to the s video DTV/CBL on the amp, my ps3 is connected to the amp via hdmi and then a single hdmi cable goes to the TV from the av amp, there's also an opical cable from sky+ to amp.

But no matter what I do I can only get sky if I connect the sky+ box via scart directly to av1 on the telly i.e. bypass the av amp ciompletely which seems to pretty much miss the point.

Not sure how much of on issue butSky settings are set to use the optical cable for sound, scart control is on and also set to PAL.

AV auto set up produce no warning signals, video conversion is set to on.

Anybofy at WHat HiFi, or on the forum got any clues?

Thanks

Ian

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IanKW:
Can somebdy please help me? After months of reading reviews, I am now the proud owner of a Panasonic Pz80, Tannoy Mercury custome and the Yamaha 863 av amp.

The Sky+ box is connected via s-video to the s video DTV/CBL on the amp, my ps3 is connected to the amp via hdmi and then a single hdmi cable goes to the TV from the av amp, there's also an opical cable from sky+ to amp.

But no matter what I do I can only get sky if I connect the sky+ box via scart directly to av1 on the telly i.e. bypass the av amp ciompletely which seems to pretty much miss the point.

Not sure how much of on issue butSky settings are set to use the optical cable for sound, scart control is on and also set to PAL.

AV auto set up produce no warning signals, video conversion is set to on.

Anybofy at WHat HiFi, or on the forum got any clues?

Thanks

Ian

I would take scart control off the Sky settings. I would also set the hdmi to 1080p on your receiver so that it upscales your picture. Other than that, I can't see what you are doing wrong.

John Duncan

But not so with the 863. The manual states (p99):

HDMI resolution.

Use this feature to activate or deactivate the HDMI upscaling of the analog video signals input at the VIDEO, S-VIDEO and COMPONENT VIDEO jacks so that the upscaled video signals are output at the HDMI OUT jack.

This unit up-scales the video signals as follows:
480i (NTSC)/576i (PAL) 480p/576p, 1080i, 720p, or 1080p
480p/576p 1080i, 720p, or 1080p

And under 'Notes':

The "HDMI RES." parameter appears only when you set "VIDEO CONV." to "ON".

So since you say that video conversion is on, have you set the upscaling resolution from analogue to HDMI? Next thing would be to check that the Sky box is outputting to S-Video but I don't know the box so can't suggest how.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I have this horrible feeling that my old Yamaha would only output video from one place - ie component *or* S-Video *or* composite etc etc.......

No this machine upconverts and upscales from all analogue to hdmi. I've read the manual and don't think you are doing anything wrong apart from telling the Sky box that you are using scart and you are not.

A

Anonymous

John, How do I set the upscaling resolution from analogue to HDMI? And if i switch off scart and it doesn't work, how do I get back so i can see a sky screen again?

Sorry if i'm being dumb.

Ian

John Duncan

Rather than talk you through it (cos I won't explain it as well i don't think), p.98-99 of the manual walks you through changing the video settings. Set the video conversion to on, and in the same menu the upscaling to match your TV (whether it be 720, 1080i or 1080p). See if that works first before fiddling with the Sky box.

I'm less sure about the Sky box, I get your point, though it was described as SCART Control, which may suggest passing through of aspect ratio and things like that, rather than actually turning the SCART off - maybe someone else can advise.

daveh75

cant answer the upscaling question, but with regard to scart control, either connect the sky to tv via the rf out temporarily so you dont lose pic when you switch it off,or without pic, press services button,then 4 for system set up,then 1 for pic settings,then down arrow twice to take you to scart contol, then left or right arrow once to switch it back to on, bit of a faff when you cant see what your doing i know,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts