Streaming Newbie - Advice needed please

Oxfordian

I don't stream music, I dabbled a little bit in the past with an i-Pad connected to my amp but stopped that a while back, so why am I asking for help?

My son has been badgering me to get a proper streaming unit to add to my hifi set-up, he thinks that I will benefit long term and has indicated that I may never buy another CD again, and he tells me that I can get access to internet radio and have hundreds of stations to listen to.

I have established that I could get 'something' and connect it to the internet via the ethernet port in my listening room and via an optical cable to my Hegel amp, but what 'something' to get.

A quick scout around has brought up possible candidates in the Audiolab 7000n or the Marantz NA6006, I am going to set a limit on any purchase to £600.

Am I thinking clearly, is this a viable route, is there anything else to conside, is my budget okay or too high or too low?

Your comments, feedback, suggestions and advice will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
If you’re only looking to stream using one of the well-known providers & use internet radio, you could spend a lot less money to achieve it. Like this, for £90. Easy to setup & use- the app is simple for internet radio. The best bit is the integration with Spotify/Tidal/airplay 2 etc so you can stream from your phone with a few simple clicks.

(Thanks to Wayne for recommending it to me)

https://wiimhome.com/wiimmini/overview

Gray

.....and he tells me that I can get access to internet radio and have hundreds of stations to listen to.
He's right, you can.
But remember when satellite TV was new?
There was promise of hundreds of channels to choose from.
Now you've got them all, how many do you actually watch?
(There's such a thing as too much choice).

Having said that, I do listen quite a lot to a batch of radio streams - all playing at 320 kbps, with nothing but continuous music, no talking, ads, or station idents whatsoever.
Radio Paradise streams FLAC quality too.

The best streaming I do is FLAC files of my CD collection.....and even some of my vinyl 😱.

As others have said, it depends what you want, but you can do streaming for a lot less than your £600 figure.....or you can add a few quid and go for the popular Eversolo 👍

Oxfordian

If you’re only looking to stream using one of the well-known providers & use internet radio, you could spend a lot less money to achieve it. Like this, for £90. Easy to setup & use- the app is simple for internet radio. The best bit is the integration with Spotify/Tidal/airplay 2 etc so you can stream from your phone with a few simple clicks.

(Thanks to Wayne for recommending it to me)

https://wiimhome.com/wiimmini/overview
Thanks, I will investigate this as it looks very interesting, my only concern is that I am streaming from my phone which isn't ideal for me, but it may get me dipping my streaming toe into uncharted waters. Appreciated.

Reactions: Revolutions

Oxfordian

The fist thing I would ask is how are you going to control the box. Some have screens some have remotes some have neither and require something like an iPad to control and access them.
Errr, don't know, presume that there will be an app or something to use, still to be investigated, as stated streaming newbie so no idea on what's what. Thanks for making me think of something I hadn't even considered.

Oxfordian

He's right, you can.
But remember when satellite TV was new?
There was promise of hundreds of channels to choose from.
Now you've got them all, how many do you actually watch?
(There's such a thing as too much choice).

Having said that, I do listen quite a lot to a batch of radio streams - all playing at 320 kbps, with nothing but continuous music, no talking, ads, or station idents whatsoever.
Radio Paradise streams FLAC quality too.

The best streaming I do is FLAC files of my CD collection.....and even some of my vinyl 😱.

As others have said, it depends what you want, but you can do streaming for a lot less than your £600 figure.....or you can add a few quid and go for the popular Eversolo 👍
Hmm, where to start.

Too many stations/channels - yep valid point, I spend forever looking for something to watch on TV then give up as there is so much to watch I can never make my mind up, oh for the good old days of just 4 channels.

Radio Paradise - I have never heard of any internet stations until today then the same one gets mentioned by three different parties who cannot possibly know each other, how bizarre is that.

I hadn't thought of using my USB stick to stream all my CD's that I backed up, I have them in the car so why not use them for streaming, no idea what format I backed them up in though, better check that out.

Clearly I have more research to do. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Gray

WayneKerr

I am rapidly realising this, maybe I'll just give my son a budget and tell him to sort me out.

:rolleyes:
I have to agree with Gray, the most enjoyable streaming I do is with my ripped CD collection. The only time I venture onto streaming sites is to check out a possible CD purchase or artist suggestion instead of purchasing blind. The only success I've had on this front so far is Jessie Ware! :)

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I don't stream music, I dabbled a little bit in the past with an i-Pad connected to my amp but stopped that a while back, so why am I asking for help?

My son has been badgering me to get a proper streaming unit to add to my hifi set-up, he thinks that I will benefit long term and has indicated that I may never buy another CD again, and he tells me that I can get access to internet radio and have hundreds of stations to listen to.

I have established that I could get 'something' and connect it to the internet via the ethernet port in my listening room and via an optical cable to my Hegel amp, but what 'something' to get.

A quick scout around has brought up possible candidates in the Audiolab 7000n or the Marantz NA6006, I am going to set a limit on any purchase to £600.

Am I thinking clearly, is this a viable route, is there anything else to conside, is my budget okay or too high or too low?

Your comments, feedback, suggestions and advice will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Just purchase the EverSolo DMP-A6
No ifs no buts... Just do it 😂😂

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

nads

I am rapidly realising this, maybe I'll just give my son a budget and tell him to sort me out.

:rolleyes:
Before you do that. Have a think about what you would like the box to do.
there is more than one type of streamer.

when I first decided to start streaming I was not looking at streaming from the web but being able to stream ‘My’ music. That is a more convenient way to play my CD collection. Yes I had to rip all my CDs to a NAS (network connected storage) This took time but I have played CDs/tracks I have not done in years. I also made lower quality copies for use on my phone. Network streaming.

then there is the other type. Internet streaming I use that to find/listen to new Music or radio that is not on FM (no DAB reviver in house). So for me that is Spotify (free) and BBC 6 Music.

what streamers did I go for. I started with the Squeezebox family of products (killed of by Logitech) when my Touch decided to have issues I had a look around at what was available. I did want a screen but there was little out there that had one that took my fancy. I ended up getting a Bluesound Node. Works well but the interface is not a patch on the IPeng app you can get for Squeezebox but there is a delayed update to the Bluesound app that is believed to be a big step forward and ahead of others. We will see.

go test a few and have a play. And just have a think on what that box can do if your internet goes down.

Oxfordian

Before you do that. Have a think about what you would like the box to do.
there is more than one type of streamer.

when I first decided to start streaming I was not looking at streaming from the web but being able to stream ‘My’ music. That is a more convenient way to play my CD collection. Yes I had to rip all my CDs to a NAS (network connected storage) This took time but I have played CDs/tracks I have not done in years. I also made lower quality copies for use on my phone. Network streaming.

then there is the other type. Internet streaming I use that to find/listen to new Music or radio that is not on FM (no DAB reviver in house). So for me that is Spotify (free) and BBC 6 Music.

what streamers did I go for. I started with the Squeezebox family of products (killed of by Logitech) when my Touch decided to have issues I had a look around at what was available. I did want a screen but there was little out there that had one that took my fancy. I ended up getting a Bluesound Node. Works well but the interface is not a patch on the IPeng app you can get for Squeezebox but there is a delayed update to the Bluesound app that is believed to be a big step forward and ahead of others. We will see.

go test a few and have a play. And just have a think on what that box can do if your internet goes down.
Thanks, you make some really good points, issues that I may need to step back and think about before I move forward.

Gray

the most enjoyable streaming I do is with my ripped CD collection.
when I first decided to start streaming I was not looking at streaming from the web but being able to stream ‘My’ music. That is a more convenient way to play my CD collection. Yes I had to rip all my CDs
Seems the ability to 'stream' a CD collection works for us (even when we still own decent CD players).
It was certainly my motivator, I doubt that I'd have got into streaming otherwise.

(I don't subscribe to any streaming service provider).

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Seems the ability to 'stream' a CD collection works for us (even when we still own decent CD players).
It was certainly my motivator, I doubt that I'd have got into streaming otherwise.

(I don't subscribe to any streaming service provider).
Spotify has free basic account you can try, this will give you a flavour.
Its true also, I use my JF MX Pro Streamer/Digital Transport as my music file management. All my DSD and Flac collections are stored on my External SSD, which is plugged directly into the JF. This unit serves as the eyes of my DAC.
Although its a Streamer, I don't like to mess with the settings.
If I want to stream music, I switch on the PC and run it through my DAC via the second USB cable or Bluetooth my mobile with my DAC.

Gray

Thanks will investigate.
It interests me, just not enough.....yet.
If / when you do investigate, think about what internet 'radio' streams you might be interested in* - then check to ensure the Eversolo gets them.
One of the (few) criticisms I've seen is that it's not as comprehensive for radio streams as some other streamers.

*You can use a PC to discover the 'broadcast' streams that interest you.

(The Raspberry Pi that I use, in conjunction with the Volumio operating system, allows entering / storing of any valid radio stream URL - but with standalone streamers it's often more a case of you getting the services the manufacturer has decided to work with).

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I'm not saying Spotify is any worse than the others....it's just that subscription itself is not for me.
(I make monthly payments for nothing unless I am legally obliged to).
Totally understand, slightly off the subject, I begrudge paying my Netflix subscription and there aren't too many options, They're so obsessed with Woke and it can be be so intoxicating..... Anyway another conversation 😊

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

daveh75

I personally can't look at these £700 - £800 hifi streaming "solutions" without a degree of bewilderment , and frankly find it contemptible and irresponsible to be recommending them to novices who are unsure about streaming or what they want from it..

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts