Andy Cine

May 6, 2023
Visit site
I've got an ex-dem Leema Libra DAC connected to a Hydra II Anniversary Edition power amp [on loan]. The DAC turns the volume down by itself within ten minutes of switching on. However, the displayed volume level does not change. Does anyone know what is going wrong? It's connected to the amp via LIPS cable. I've only just got the DAC so I could return it because of this fault. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've got an ex-dem Leema Libra DAC connected to a Hydra II Anniversary Edition power amp [on loan]. The DAC turns the volume down by itself within ten minutes of switching on. However, the displayed volume level does not change. Does anyone know what is going wrong? It's connected to the amp via LIPS cable. I've only just got the DAC so I could return it because of this fault. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
try emailing Leema?

Reactions: Andy Cine
As @Al ears has suggested, ping Leema a email or contact the seller.

Reactions: Andy Cine

aversaurus

It will be a setting in the dac you do have to lock the source in and the instruction book may not tell you.i rolled round with mine for a week before I figured it out and I'm sure dropping the volume is a safety feature

I've worked in a few service departments.
It's always essential to read and understand the customers' description of their problem.

...I'm glad I never got your one 😆
To be fair though, he purchased that Dac on the cheap, after the seller sent it to the USA for a review.... no idea why, seemed very odd...

If nothing else, that Dac has clocked up some air miles. 😋

I don’t know the answer, but I do know great care is needed with certain DACs used directly into power amps. I’ve read a number of cases where the DAC powers up at 100% volume. Speakers tend to fail under those conditions.

Gray

I don’t know the answer, but I do know great care is needed with certain DACs used directly into power amps. I’ve read a number of cases where the DAC powers up at 100% volume. Speakers tend to fail under those conditions.
Indeed.
And you can't trust whatever controls the DAC either.
Mine is one of those DACs that can have it's volume 'hardware' controlled so as not to compromise SQ .
But I wouldn't trust putting it direct into an open power amp.

Reactions: Al ears
I don't believe this thread was initially set up to complain about the Leema dac yet again, referencing the photo I had to remove, I doubt the OP will return shortly.....
I was actually referring to @aversaurus who spent ages faffing over getting a cheap Dac. Not actually aiming at the OP., just don't rely on others experience.

If the OP contacts Leema or their FB page, he should get some response

Reactions: Al ears

Andy Cine

May 6, 2023
Visit site
Update: The Libra DAC was faulty. It turned the volume up by itself to a painful level. Fanthorpes Hi-Fi, in Hull, collected it today. This fault occurred in fixed and variable output into a Hydra II Anniversary power amp. Serial Number: 150802. It was also making a very strange earthing noise and buzzing sound. A complete dog, you might say. Full of problems and desperate to return to its owner. This fault happened with and without headphones. Thankfully my ears are not damaged, as I managed to rip the headphones off before my eardrums blew.

Andy Cine

May 6, 2023
Visit site
It will be a setting in the dac I have the Leema elements dac and the interface runs on some sort of quantum voodoo it only plays when I'm not listening to it
There is a setting that drops volume when changing inputs. That's not the problem I was having. I left that feature on as it is a useful safety feature.

TRENDING THREADS