Streaming Newbie - Advice needed please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oxfordian

Clearly streaming isn't as simple as I thought that it would be, I need to revisit my wants and requirements from any streaming unit, there is a lot to consider and factor in.

Thanks for everyone's input, you have made me think and that is great.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Not gonna lie, I grew up in the age of the PC & I have no idea what most of this means 🫨
Once you get use to it, it's really just another format to hear music.
It's good apart from Amazon, the streaming portals are moving away from loss mp3 to lossless high res flac but would be even better if they offer DSD but don't see this happening just yet.

Just a few points on your opening suggestions:-

1. the Marantz - a brand I love - is well past its best before date, and it wasn’t amazing to start with. Avoid.

2. the Audiolab is much newer, but it’s still hampered by the less than ideal Play Fi platform. Suffice to say that isn’t great, and well short of the Blue OS used elsewhere.

3. the better choices are the Bluesound NODE (the current model - I think there were at least two earlier versions, so be careful), or the Cambridge CXN V2. The latter is £699 currently, if you give RS your email address to become a VIP. The NODE is £549.

4. both these two have good user interfaces, the most vital factor in choosing a streamer. If you can’t find what you want to play, or it’s clunky and unreliable you won’t enjoy it!

5. I’d also recommend a used Linn Sneaky Music DS, for c. £400, but the other two are brand new with dealer support and warranty.

Hope that is some help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxfordian

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
As you were also the author of the USB cable thread think I'll just agree to disagree for the moment, as I firmly believe all the superfluous formats, (hi-res and DSD), are not of any benefit to the listener but are to the companies pushing them :)
I super edit my comment, sorry you got to it before I had a chance to revise and reflect, It is hotly contested but lets just say I enjoy the sound from DSD and I enjoy the sound from PCM.
Both can coexist and it's great we have a choice.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Thanks will investigate.
Excuse me, but I'm curious how the Hegel H95 unit you have listed has not been the "complete streaming solution", as Hegel bills it, or why it's not part of your inquiry? Or, have I missed the latter? I described my makeshift streaming practice in a post in the other active streaming advice thread, and it seems that you already have something quite advanced, Or did you just get/add that unit?

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Excuse me, but I'm curious how the Hegel H95 unit you have listed has not been the "complete streaming solution", as Hegel bills it, or why it's not part of your inquiry? Or, have I missed the latter? I described my makeshift streaming practice in a post in the other active streaming advice thread, and it seems that you already have something quite advanced, Or did you just get/add that unit?
If I can just chip in, the Hegel H95 is all in one solution. What makes it special, it has a great sounding amp, as well as a streamer, headamp and DAC but USB input is limited to PCM 95 kHz. If you're starting from stratch all you need is a pair of passive speakers. Possibly the most cost effective option.

However, the H190 is the much bigger sibling at twice the price, H190 has more beefier amp and DAC capability at sampling 24/192 FLAC and WAV files.

If you just need a streamer and an excellent DAC, you can't go wrong with Eversolo DMP-A6 or the much cheaper Matrix Audio mini i-4 is an excellent alternative

View: https://youtu.be/I8RSwpXjMd8?si=jBZlENX0wPYx68ll
View: https://youtu.be/ZICcZjS5FHI?si=wgXV9n7ZtWmCL1LE

View: https://youtu.be/2cg-6roELr8?si=sELFwfARaixM2ig0

It depends on which scale of the budget you want to start, for many WiiM mini or WiiM pro is all they need.

View: https://youtu.be/Cf4aC58S6Eg?si=nCPORp3Cl8PbOXga

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Valid point, I forgot Oxfordian already had this (y)

Reactions: Jasonovich

Oxfordian

Thanks for the recent comments, I do indeed have a H95, my limited knowledge tells me that I can get Spotify or use the H95 to play Apple Music, I also presume that I can get it to play a variety of other services via suitable apps on my phone/tablet.

However I believe that to get the best out of the Hegel I need to have my phone/tablet connected which is not ideal, I also like the idea of plugging in a USB stick with my CD collection on and being able to stream these by title or randomly.

I need to look at my options in more detail and am appreciative of the comments and feedback that has been provided. Thanks.

WayneKerr

Thanks for the recent comments, I do indeed have a H95, my limited knowledge tells me that I can get Spotify or use the H95 to play Apple Music, I also presume that I can get it to play a variety of other services via suitable apps on my phone/tablet.

However I believe that to get the best out of the Hegel I need to have my phone/tablet connected which is not ideal, I also like the idea of plugging in a USB stick with my CD collection on and being able to stream these by title or randomly.

I need to look at my options in more detail and am appreciative of the comments and feedback that has been provided. Thanks.
Don't think you'll get far with the USB connection, Oxfordian, and certainly not with a USB stick on the Hegel or the Audiolab CDT. Reading the user manual for the Hegel the USB connection is a type B socket for PC connection only, and no USB socket on the Audiolab at all :(

Reactions: Oxfordian

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I don't stream music, I dabbled a little bit in the past with an i-Pad connected to my amp but stopped that a while back, so why am I asking for help?

My son has been badgering me to get a proper streaming unit to add to my hifi set-up, he thinks that I will benefit long term and has indicated that I may never buy another CD again, and he tells me that I can get access to internet radio and have hundreds of stations to listen to.

I have established that I could get 'something' and connect it to the internet via the ethernet port in my listening room and via an optical cable to my Hegel amp, but what 'something' to get.

A quick scout around has brought up possible candidates in the Audiolab 7000n or the Marantz NA6006, I am going to set a limit on any purchase to £600.

Am I thinking clearly, is this a viable route, is there anything else to conside, is my budget okay or too high or too low?

Your comments, feedback, suggestions and advice will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I stream Amazon Music into my amp via a Sonos Connect (not amp). I use the Sonos app and stream from my NAS or Amazon Music. I believe the Sonos Port has superseded the Connect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts