Pioneer Kuro 5090

peddie44

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Are they really THAT good? Do they warrant an extra £500 on top of, say, a V20 when they are an old model? Surely old tech cant be that much better than the new stuff?

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Pioneer screens are the best!!! Nothing does better blacks!!! Mine is an older set and only hd ready and not full hd. It looks amazing!!

If you want the best.......You cant have BMW at Ford prices!!

A

Anonymous

proffski:Yes! Still used as reference in many post production film studios.

+1

I have had my 5090 for about a year now, and would not swap it for any current plasma. If you can afford to pay the premium of the kuro's you should go for it.

Rich

A

Anonymous

And what, image aside, makes you think that BMW's engineering is better than Ford's?

A

Anonymous

The Panasonic VT20 and V20 models ran the Pioneer 5090 really close this year. HDTV test has the VT20 listed as 'Reference Level' which says alot really. But the 2010 Panny Models are plagued with the 50hz issue, floating blacks and other reported issues like a potential rise in black level over time. At the moment IMO I'd say the 9G Kuro's are still the best but maybe next year when Panasonic have their new models released, LG's Nano Tech sets arrive and possible a mainstream OLED screen then we could see Legendary 9G Kuro finally fall behind.

A

Anonymous

if you can find a kuro and all your interested is picture quality and nothing more id snap it up before someone else does. i did and never looked back.

got an old 6th gen pioneer too and the pic and sound are awesome on that too. couldnt tell you what the sound is on the 5090 as it didnt come with speakers or a stand either

scene

I spent a long time getting my KRP-500A last year - same 9G tech as 5090, but with separate media box and probably just a hair better than the 5090 on picture quality IMHO...

I've looked at newer screens, and they're still not their yet. Yes the Panny is close, but the king retains its crown for the moment...

2011 is another matter...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneere:couldnt tell you what the sound is on the 5090 as it didnt come with speakers or a stand either

Most of them came with speakers, although you could buy it without, the stand was an extra though.

A

Anonymous

given the v series problems, and the better blacks of the kuro, i reckon they are still the best tv out there. im not sure it will be dethroned next year either, panasonic may come very very close, but im not convinced they can ensure a problem free tv, or beat the kuros blacks.

A

Anonymous

Its a nice dilemma. You wont go wrong with either tv. But if you want the very best I can't disagree with any of the above.

However regardeless of which one you eventually go for, make sure you get it calibrated (even if its a few months after the event). I think its criminal to spend that much on a telly and then not make the best of it by making sure you have the best picture it can possibly give you.

A

Anonymous

barnsleydave i take it youve had yours done, i see you got the 600a. how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

i got my settings from a post on here, wouldnt want to pay someone to come out and say my settings are fine or do they adjust settings i cant access?

A

Anonymous

pioneere:
barnsleydave i take it youve had yours done, i see you got the 600a. how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

i got my settings from a post on here, wouldnt want to pay someone to come out and say my settings are fine or do they adjust settings i cant access?

Well it wasnt cheap. Including the stand I paid £3900 in June 2009. I was originally after the 500A but couldnt get one for love nor money. The 600A's were selling fast too so I took the plunge and got the 600A (or the window light blocker as it is also known in our house)
emotion-1.gif

You can adjust the settings yourself if you invest in a relevant calibration disc. But to answer the question yes the pioneer has more settings than a nasa space ship but if you pay someone they do access settings you as a mere mortal cant get to.

I paid £250 for mine doing and I'll be honest after he left I was a bit dissapointed. However after a few days I switched back to my old settings and they looked horrible. I figured if I was shelling out the best part of £4k on the best telly on the planet then it was false economy not to spend another 5% on getting it look as good as it possibly could. I think if I had done it myself I would always have been wondering if it could be improved if someone who really knew what they were doing had done it.

In addition I sat with the bloke while he did it and from memory it took about 4 hours. It was very interesting. he was telling me what he was doing, why he was doing it, explaining the limitations of the tv, so on and so forth. I really enjoyed it (I'm prob a bit sad).

Do you actually have a source who can supply you with the Kuro? They are rarer than rocking horse droppings these days. I have had someone offer me what I paid for mine, even though it was 12 months old at the time.

A

Anonymous

i brought my kuro around 5 months ago from richer sounds, if i remember right they had about 5 units scattered around there stores. paid 1600 with no stand or speakers.

would like to get it calibrated soon but buying a decent av set up first so i can get rid of the ugly bose speakers im using temporarily

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
pioneere:
i brought my kuro around 5 months ago from richer sounds, if i remember right they had about 5 units scattered around there stores. paid 1600 with no stand or speakers.

would like to get it calibrated soon but buying a decent av set up first so i can get rid of the ugly bose speakers im using temporarily

jammy git

A

Anonymous

If people are saying that the Panny VT20 comes close to the Kuro, surely that makes the hx903 the same if not better than the kuro?

A

Anonymous

maybe it is, ive never seen the sony. all i know is the picture on the pioneer is awesome and im more than happy too keep it for a good few years.

A

Anonymous

True That the pioneer 9G are still the best at producing Black ! but Black are not everything in the picture...and what about the primary & seconderay colours? edge definition smooth motion elc. those are just as important as the black level , right now there are many decent plasma tv on the market and once they are properly calibrated they can produce much better picture/performance than any pioneer 9G TV.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
jst23:If people are saying that the Panny VT20 comes close to the Kuro, surely that makes the hx903 the same if not better than the kuro?

No, it is not, simply put.

It is true that a lot of people focus on black level. So much that other merits of these TVs are sometimes forgotten. The Kuros also have excellent grey scales and colour reproduction - when calibrated - seldom matched by any other TVs. Looking at the overall performance, the Kuros are still the TVs to beat in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

TKratz:
jst23:If people are saying that the Panny VT20 comes close to the Kuro, surely that makes the hx903 the same if not better than the kuro?

No, it is not, simply put.

It is true that a lot of people focus on black level. So much that other merits of these TVs are sometimes forgotten. The Kuros also have excellent grey scales and colour reproduction - when calibrated - seldom matched by any other TVs. Looking at the overall performance, the Kuros are still the TVs to beat in my opinion.

emotion-21.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, Marco. I don't think you're correct. I have an 8G Kuro and will hold on to it for now because - properly set up - the picture is so entirely natural and 'unforced'. It may not be the last word in sharpness (only HD ready), but I haven't seen anything better in every other respect. From what I've read, there are plenty of reviewers who seem to agree.

A

Anonymous

i own a 50'' VT20. A friend has a 5090, I have to admit the kuro has something - certainly not sharpness, probably not colours.....but something very engaging? maybe its all in the mind?? who knows

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger helped persuade me to buy mine...

I bought an 8G 4280 which although is only HD ready blows away every full HD set I have ever seen. The Pioneers are the absolute last word in TV pictures. I have never seen anything like it. Natural to ay the least and the black is to die for. Yep, they really are that good...

TRENDING THREADS