Retro Rip-off ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Some of this is borderline, if not actual counterfeiting and should be stopped. It destroys legit companies.

Burberry struggled years ago, when sales were diverted to 'cloned' merchandise.

Even if the quality of the product is there and it's cheaper, the Chinese export economy grows, while the original companies suffer losses.

The Chinese economy depends on exports as most of the internal market is saturated, as there are not enough people to buy this stuff.

Most of the billion people in China are fairly poor and work on the land. These people don't buy TVs and fancy HIFI and it's a small percentage of the population that does.

If we slowed, or even stopped our dependence on cheap imports from China, we wouldn't be held to ransom, like we are now.

Getting UK companies to tool up and reduce costs would be difficult, but we need this in the long term.

The UK and other countries need to get more tech companies up and running, everything from mobile phones to HIFI etc.

People would have to pay more in the short term, but we need to rely on home based production and not feed this Chinese economy forever.

Perfect example is the Mission 770 at £3299 and made in the UK. If this was made in China, it would be a quarter of this price. We must try to compete with this huge country at some point.

Our dependence on China for everything will lead to our companies disappearing forever and then China can ask any price it wants.

We need another strategy and we need to get UK companies making this stuff and then, eventually, it's Chinese import prices.

We've always been pioneering and at the forefront of technology, but there are no UK made mobile phones. I might be wrong, but doubt it.

We do have UK HIFI brands, such as Mission and Audiolab, but they are now owned by China!

China sees the world as a Monopoly board and eventually, if not stopped, everything will be owned by China and we won't have a say in anything.
That's the nature of all global powers, they are completing for the hegemon, the US had it's way since post war, now it's in decline and a leopard that is cornered is the most dangerous!
Britain ruled the waves, now it's gone.

Empires come, Empires go. God I hope, we can all live in a peaceful world :)

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Totally understand why they do it, but unlike other trades, hi-fi should be set in stone if the prospective buyer knows his budget... or is taken in by the delusional thought of what he could have. Quite often they leave with something very different to their original requirements.

But you can't sell to a salesman.
Oh yes you can, salesmen make the worst buyers, they are willing to get caught up in the event

Reactions: WayneKerr

DCarmi

Would it be heresy of me to say that I like hifi with switches that work with a big soft clunk? The kind of switch that likes you to know it has in fact been switched.

Also a VU meter or two, regardless of how useful they actually might be.

Something with the looks of the Yamaha AS1200.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Would it be heresy of me to say that I like hifi with switches that work with a big soft clunk? The kind of switch that likes you to know it has in fact been switched.

Also a VU meter or two, regardless of how useful they actually might be.

Something with the looks of the Yamaha AS1200.
Me too.
Love the digital amber 'Analogue' VDU display on my Eversolo, this is a lovely touch.

I think it's easy to lose sight that's it's not just about the music, it's also about the experience.

Reactions: DCarmi
People would have to pay more in the short term, but we need to rely on home based production and not feed this Chinese economy forever.

Perfect example is the Mission 770 at £3299 and made in the UK. If this was made in China, it would be a quarter of this price.
One ‘benefit’ of effectively outsourcing much of our manufacturing is that our emissions have droppped. To those who think ‘net zero’ in the UK matters then this helps.

As for the retro Mission you cite, the cost might be only 25% (though that might be optimistic) but I’m sure it would sell for around 70% of its current price. That greater margin is why making in the PRC is so attractive.

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

One ‘benefit’ of effectively outsourcing much of our manufacturing is that our emissions have droppped. To those who think ‘net zero’ in the UK matters then this helps.

As for the retro Mission you cite, the cost might be only 25% (though that might be optimistic) but I’m sure it would sell for around 70% of its current price. That greater margin is why making in the PRC is so attractive.
Our emissions will fall, the less we produce, but China will then produce more!

It doesn't really matter who produces greenhouse gases, as the atmosphere is shared by everyone.

They are doing better with green energy, but they are still one of the highest, if not the highest producers of greenhouse gases, with their increasingly large number of coal fired power stations.

It's my last post on this subject, as I hear the moderators hand reaching for the 'lock' button.

Oh well!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts