Picking the right AV Amp???????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am starting to put together my first home cinema set up and have mostly decided on the equipment i want but the AV amplifier is proving a sticking point. I plan to use Tannoy Mercury's for the front as i will also be using it for regular stereo listening, also will be adding Cambridge Audio Minx for the centre and rears and a Cambridge sub. My problem is getting an amp that will deal with movies but will give me good sound for my music, although i realise i will have to make a slight compromise. My sources will initially be Sonos but also adding a CD player and turntable at a later date. I work in a hi-fi store so have had the chance to demo some set-ups but im still unsure. The price range i'm considering is along the lines of the Sony Strdh810, Pioneer VSX520 etc. Any opinions would be greatly recieved!!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
If youre budget is about £300 I'd say go for the Denon 1911. I too use for films and music and to my ears this was much better than the Pioneer and Yamaha alternatives at the price.

I used to have a more expensive Marantz receiver at around the £700 mark and I don't feel the Denon gives anything away to that, and is probably a bit better with films.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you work in a hi-fi store, you'd probably know that using the Mercury speakers for the front left and right, and a Minx speaker for the centre, is a seriously bad idea.

Oh, and if you work in a hi-fi store, could you please add a signature and bio, as required by House Rules? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of thought possibly Denon or Pioneer for their Hi-Fi capabilities although in trial the Pioneer was quite dissapointing although im not sure if that was down to running digital music through a Sonos ZP90?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I also found the Pioneers disappointing for music.

I run the Denon via a Sonos and it's great, especially considering the price.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
grdunn123:You work in a hi fi store and you're on here asking for advice??? I guess you could be a cleaner or an office junior.

You bet me to it! I think he works in the best place for asking advise me thinks?
emotion-2.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
geemak:

I plan to use Tannoy Mercury's for the front as i will also be using it for regular stereo listening, also will be adding Cambridge Audio Minx for the centre and rears and a Cambridge sub. I work in a hi-fi store so have had the chance to demo some set-ups but im still unsure.

What do you do in this hi-fi store exactly? I'm baffled yet intrigued, seriously
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Wow, i put a query out to see what opinions others have as i have no-one interested in Hi-Fi outside of my work and i am labeled as a 'cleaner'. I was always under the impression that this was a magazine for all types of AV fans from beginners to downright audiophiles. I dont have access to unlimited funds or thousands of differenet pieces of equipment at my disposal hence looking for a broader opinion. What a great introduction to the forums here. Thanks to those who were good enough to give some decent feedback!!

A

Anonymous

Can i ask why you feel this is so?? I felt the Minx Min20 offered great clarity and sharpness alongside the balance of the Mercurys! Look, im no expert, i dont have 30 years experience but i know what my ears like. Feedback would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rather than just slag me off do you at least have the decency to tell me what part of my post it is you have such a problem with??? Is this only a forum for those with 30 years Hi-Fi experience and a 5K plus system??????????????

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, no offence intended. It's just very unusual to have basic hifi/av questions posted from someone who actually work in the trade.

As Andrew Everard advised you'd better declare which hifi store you work in and add to your signature and bio.

A

Anonymous

I dont understand what is so basic about it, i wasn't looking for a yes or no on my chosen equipment but just any feedback on a piece of kit i can't decide on. As i stated, this is my FIRST home cinema set up, i am still fairly young and despite the fact i work with these goods i realise enthusiasm in no way makes up for experience!!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
geemak:Can i ask why you feel this is so?? I felt the Minx Min20 offered great clarity and sharpness alongside the balance of the Mercurys! Look, im no expert, i dont have 30 years experience but i know what my ears like. Feedback would be appreciated.

The emphasis on the front three channels in a home cinema system (LCR) decides how your speakers will sound as a complete system.

It is vital therefore that the Left, Centre & Right channels be of the same make to ensure that they are timbre-matched tonally - this will result in an accurate, cohesive and seamless soundstage.

Try to source a Tannoy Mercury centre speaker (available on e-bay). As for the choice of amp, each make has it's distinctive flavour and it will depend on the 'type of sound' that appeals to you - based on a budget of about £300, you would want to look at the Denon AVR1910, Onkyo TX-SR607, Sony STR-DA2400ES etc if you are not into 3D.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, i am aware that those 3 channels are the most important in the whole set up, however in making the compromise that i need an LR channel that are good all rounders for the music side of things i felt having a centre channel which, IMO, offers a very crisp detail, would still give me a good balance from those front 3??

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Jings, give the lad a break... so he works in a Hi Fi store ... THIS makes him an expert ?

I remember doing loads of research on panel tv's a few years ago and also looking on this very site for some info before going into Curry's and Dixons who at that time were both located within this big shopping estate quite near to where I live... now I know that there are loads of things which as yet I have only starting to come to terms with but back then I was only just starting to understand and yet... the few fellows whom I spoke to in both these stores ... I knew as much as and at least one of them... I knew a lot more than. This bloke works in a HiFi shop... he never once said he knew it all.... give the lad a break.... help him out without all the cheek... it isn't really warranted.... good on you folk who were decent to him and helped I'd say.

A

Anonymous

Jeez, thankyou!! I'm not a moron. i understand passthrough, analouge upscaling,bi-amping your fronts and i even know what ARC does
emotion-5.gif
. I am by no means inept i would just like the opinions of those who maybe have a better budget or more time than me.... But indeed thanks for all positive feedbacks

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
geemak:Yeah, i am aware that those 3 channels are the most important in the whole set up, however in making the compromise that i need an LR channel that are good all rounders for the music side of things i felt having a centre channel which, IMO, offers a very crisp detail, would still give me a good balance from those front 3??

If it sounds fine to you, then that's all that matters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts