Physical media where is it?

nads

Ok maybe I have been spoilt for the last 20 years. Where I could pop into MediaMarkt and have a selection of 1000s of DVD/Blu-ray/CDs and even vinyl. I even remember supermarkets in the UK stocking media.

where has it all gone?

DCarmi

Apparently there is this new fangled thing called Spotify, which has most of your tunes and you can even take them with you, no need for discs! I believe there are similar thingies for films etc. :astonished:
Whatever next? Perhaps a library in your pocket? 🤔

Reactions: Al ears
Spotify may not live as long as some of my vinyl or cds or downloads come to that....
For what it is worth physical media is still available in most of my usual supermarkets.... And there is always a thing called a record store if you want more... :cool:

nads

Apparently there is this new fangled thing called Spotify, which has most of your tunes and you can even take them with you, no need for discs! I believe there are similar thingies for films etc. :astonished:
Whatever next? Perhaps a library in your pocket? 🤔
Since when did Spotify do films?

check the section this is posted in.

Tinman1952

Ok maybe I have been spoilt for the last 20 years. Where I could pop into MediaMarkt and have a selection of 1000s of DVD/Blu-ray/CDs and even vinyl. I even remember supermarkets in the UK stocking media.

where has it all gone?
Agreed. For me every Saturday was spent mooching round HMV or Woolworths for CDs and DVDs. Happy times.... but the business model could not survive changing consumer behaviour unfortunately...
Even my local Tesco doesn't bother with CDs any more and Blu-ray choice is tiny now.
So it is Amazon for new CDs and eBay for used ones. Still bargains to be had used....but with Amazon Music now so cheap my CD collection has not been added to for almost two years.

D

Deleted member 196519

where has it all gone?
Charity shops?

Reactions: DCarmi

DCarmi

Most young folks today just download or stream their music, they don't care.
I am not sure that is necessarily true. I have seen some awful stereo systems in my time. One friend had an Amstrad tower system which proudly boasted a parabola above its graphic equaliser! And I have borrowed LPs which had very mucky and unloved surfaces.

Most of todays phones, computers and many cheap headphones give decent audio quality. Young people also seem to want to spend dosh on better headphones, than I ever had in my youth.

The bit I'd miss is the social side of music appreciation and discovery. As soon as you put on headphones it becomes a solitary experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts