Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

LanceyBoy

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma. Great set, very pleased . . . . but I have noticed it has vertical bands on the right hand of the screen. Looking on some other forums this seems like it might be a common problem. Problem can only been seen when certain colours or backgrounds are shown and often when panning across the field of play when watching football or cricket. It happens regardless of source (Blu Ray, AV amp, TiVo or Freeview HD) so is definitely a TV problem.

Anyone had similar problems?

What have Panasonic got to say? Strikes me that if this is a common production fault, surely we need to know about it before making a purchase?

Anyone at What Hi-fi got any thoughts or comments or can ask Panasonic for an "official" repsonse?

I'm still under 30 days (just) so engineer is coming on Saturday and hopefully with a new TV, but if it's common, might find the same issue on replacement set.

Seems shame for such a great set.

:cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, and the GT50 DSE club...

I'm in the same boat. Based on what I've read, all of this years Panasonic plasmas have this issue. That said, some on here report that they have perfect GT50s with no uniformity problems. If all 2012 models are affected, the issue seems to differ in severity. Or perhaps some owners are more sensitive to DSE than others.

For what it's worth, I'm going to get a replacement, as the vertical banding on my GT50 is on the edge of what I'd consider tolerable. Pansonic's response to enquiries about this is to advise that the vertical bands are a result of the way the panel is constructed (in other words, this can't be fixed with a firmware update, or by an engineer).

Let us know how you get on. You've done the right thing reporting the issue. See what the engineer says, but I'm guessing there'll be nothing he can do. If so, I think you should be pushing hard for a replacement.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Like yourself and Strapped, I have had the same problem with my GT50. Just been watching the football, and it is still there, though it's so faint, I only notice it when I think about it and look for it.

I don't have any other issues with the tv, the picture is great, and I actually tried the 2D-3D coversion last night, but it just made me feel a bit ill.
smile.png

So, because I'm working away from home during the week, I don't want the hassle of swapping tvs over, so if I do do anything about it, it will have to wait until I'm back at home in the week.

Like Strapped has said, the engineer will probably not be able to do anything with it, so it will probably mean swapping it for another.

Gel, one of the people on this forum sent 2 of his back, and he says that he doesn't have any problem with it now, so there are perfect ones out there, just depends if you're patient enough, and have enough time to keep getting them swapped over.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

mickeyh

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Strapped

you seem to contradict yourself with your opening 2 sentances , not all Panasonic 2012 models

have this problem , mine for one , I am not dismissing the problem , or people's concerns , I can

only give an honest account of my GT50 which I have had for over 2 months , I must be very

fortunate as I have had no problems at all ,

D

Deleted member 2457

This is what football looks like on my GT50, clip is from the VT50 though

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=u7y9qlEyIGE

On the first GT50 I had though a line going down the screen to the right, but this one is perfect.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mickeyh said:
Strapped

you seem to contradict yourself with your opening 2 sentances , not all Panasonic 2012 models

have this problem , mine for one , I am not dismissing the problem , or people's concerns , I can

only give an honest account of my GT50 which I have had for over 2 months , I must be very

fortunate as I have had no problems at all ,

I wasn't contradicting myself, so much as highlighting contradictory accounts. The common view on places like AV Forums and HDTV Test is that all 2012 Panasonic plasmas have DSE. I've read of people going through five replacements with no joy, before giving up and buying a television from another manufacturer.

A minority of posters on forums such as this, yourself included, report that you have no issues with screen uniformity on your 2012 Panny plasma. My suspicion is that all 2012 Panasonic plasmas have DSE, but on some sets the effect is so mild as become unnoticeable. Even Panasonic acknowledge that the dirty screen effect is a result of the manufacturing process, which suggests all this year's Panasonic plasma TVs will suffer from the problem to a greater or lesser degree.

If I can get a replacement GT50 with very minor DSE I'll be more than happy. For the record, I'd take that problem over LED TVs' myriad issues every day of the week. Every generation of Panasonic plasma TV has had its problems, but it's worth remembering what the competition has to offer.

LanceyBoy

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Happy to report a very good outcome. My TV has been replaced with a problem free one. Excellent service from my local Panasonic Store near Bristol - Thanks guys for sorting it so quickly and professionally.

:)

D

Deleted member 2457

LanceyBoy said:
Happy to report a very good outcome. My TV has been replaced with a problem free one. Excellent service from my local Panasonic Store near Bristol - Thanks guys for sorting it so quickly and professionally.

Nice one.
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

LanceyBoy said:

Good news indeed, and makes me feel like I should ring John Lewis this weekend to report mine.

I'll probably do what Strapped did, and just notify them of the problem, and say I'm prepared to live with it for a few weeks more, to see if it improves.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'll probably do what Strapped did, and just notify them of the problem, and say I'm prepared to live with it for a few weeks more, to see if it improves.

It's probably worth notifying JL of your concerns. I just called to arrange a replacement (delivery next week). As expected, JL customer service was friendly and professional.

I'm not sure if the DSE has become more pronounced, or if I've become more conscious of it over time. My new receiver has a grey screensaver, and when this is activated I can clearly see four vertical lines on the right hand side of the screen. Any uniform light coloured TV content also shows the issue, which becomes more visible during pans.

On the BBC HD ident, with the guy pretending to play the piano while sat on a park bench, I can also see a similar problem with uniformity on the far left of the screen. Now I've spotted it I can see it every time. Buzzing is also just the wrong side of what I'd consider tolerable. (None during dark scenes. Can be heard a bit during brighter scenes from my normal viewing distance. If viewing any content displaying large amounts of white, such as The Polar Bear Family and Me, the TV buzzes more audibly than the other two plasma TVs I've owned).

I'm concerned the replacement will have the same problems, or worse, but I gave the set a fortnight of near constant use to bed in, and things haven't improved, so it seemed the only option. There really isn't a different model I'd be willing to own. I sold my V20, so if I get another GT50 with problems I'm not sure what the next step should be...

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It's probably worth notifying JL of your concerns. I just called to arrange a replacement (delivery next week). As expected, JL customer service was friendly and professional.

I'm not sure if the DSE has become more pronounced, or if I've become more conscious of it over time. My new receiver has a grey screensaver, and when this is activated I can clearly see four vertical lines on the right hand side of the screen. Any uniform light coloured TV content also shows the issue, which becomes more visible during pans.

On the BBC HD ident, with the guy pretending to play the piano while sat on a park bench, I can also see a similar problem with uniformity on the far left of the screen. Now I've spotted it I can see it every time. Buzzing is also just the wrong side of what I'd consider tolerable. (None during dark scenes. Can be heard a bit during brighter scenes from my normal viewing distance. If viewing any content displaying large amounts of white, such as The Polar Bear Family and Me, the TV buzzes more audibly than the other two plasma TVs I've owned).

I'm concerned the replacement will have the same problems, or worse, but I gave the set a fortnight of near constant use to bed in, and things haven't improved, so it seemed the only option. There really isn't a different model I'd be willing to own. I sold my V20, so if I get another GT50 with problems I'm not sure what the next step should be...

Nice one. Just keep going you will get one. There are lots of happy owners.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hope so!

Buying AV kit should be fun, not stressful. My latest round of AV upgrades has been a more worrying than exciting experience. A replacement with less visible DSE and slightly reduced buzzing would do me. I don't expect perfection (if I did, I'd never be happy with any purchase).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My GT50 is perfect and from the local Panny store!

Is it just a coincidence that everyone on AVFroums who has problems with there GT50, they purchased them form JL?

Food for thought!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi BBB. Thanks for checking in...

The replacement is better, if not the perfect set others are describing.

Buzzing isn't a problem with the new TV, while concerns I had about an overly warm colour balance with my original GT50 are not replicated with the replacement (I'm not sure why everyone had a fake tan look with the first set).

DSE is still there, but seems less of a problem with the new TV. I know exactly where to look for it (and which images and slides show it up most clearly). Some may accuse me of looking for problems, but once you're aware of the possibility of DSE, it's impossible not to check. I find my eyes drawn to the right of the screen periodically. Hopefully I'll get past that!

I know some say their GT50 has no DSE, but I feel this problem exists on all 2012 Panasonic plasmas to a greater or lesser degree. In some cases I think you would need to display a uniform grey screen and look closely to spot it. In these examples, the dirty screen effect isn't really a problem, as it doesn't intrude on actual viewing. I know I'm speculating here, but short of viewing every GT50 produced with a discerning eye for DSE, I can't state anything definitively.

In any case, I'm happier with the replacement, though I'm remaining cautious as it's only had one day's use (the issues with my first GT50 became more prominent over time).

I've also had a chat with Gel on another thread about possible differences between FB and FE model numbers, which might be worth a look.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Encouraging, if not the perfect result, I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

I'm still working away, but hopefully only for another week, so I may well ring JL the week after next.

In which thread were you and gel discussing the model numbers, sounds interesting?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It was this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/any-suggestionsrecommendations-for-a-new-tv?page=1#comment-2805318

To be honest, it's not that interesting. I was merely speculating as to whether GT50s with a later manufacture date have fewer problems. It's probably a flawed hypothesis; and I don't know for certain that FE model numbers were built later than FBs...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Put the tv on this lunchtime, and there were 3 small yellow blotches on the screen. The main one was in a shape of a letter P, the others were smaller.

I rang JL, who told me that the one month period when they would swap the tv over ended yesterday, and that I would have to ring Panasonic and ask for a repair. I wasn't having any of that, so they have now agreed to swap the tv over. They did however get me to do a factory reset on the tv, and the yellow marks have all gone, but I explained about the dse, and the fact that it was still visible, so they relented.

My wife has been looking on Japanese forums, and their seems to be trouble with the 2012 models over there too.

I do hope I get a perfect tv next time, I'm really starting to regret selling the Kuro.
cry.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Yeesh! Every year it seems there's a new problem with Panasonic's *cough* award-winning TVs: SD motion issues, fading blacks, vertical thin green line in the centre of the screen, etc, and now the fault mentioned in this thread. Impressive :roll:

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Put the tv on this lunchtime, and there were 3 small yellow blotches on the screen. The main one was in a shape of a letter P, the others were smaller.

I rang JL, who told me that the one month period when they would swap the tv over ended yesterday, and that I would have to ring Panasonic and ask for a repair. I wasn't having any of that, so they have now agreed to swap the tv over. They did however get me to do a factory reset on the tv, and the yellow marks have all gone, but I explained about the dse, and the fact that it was still visible, so they relented.

My wife has been looking on Japanese forums, and their seems to be trouble with the 2012 models over there too.

I do hope I get a perfect tv next time, I'm really starting to regret selling the Kuro.
cry.gif

Fingers crossed, let us know how you get on with your replacement.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Will do gel, though it's not being changed until Feb 5th.

I think 6th Replicant makes a valid point, all these Panas are award winning tvs, yet all seem to be beset with problems.

What's the alternative though? The Samsung PS51E6500 looks decent, but I don't think my wife will accept one. Samsung are just regarded as cheap tvs for people who can't afford Japanese quality in Japan, so she'll take some persuading, even though she can see the problems with Panas. I really want a plasma, every LCD/LED I've ever seen has backlight problems, and the viewing angle is poor.

Come on JL, bring me a perfect tv.
pray.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
What's the alternative though?

pray.gif

That may be hoping for too much. I certainly wouldn't put up with yellow splodges. And you were absolutely right to stand your ground on getting a replacement.

There simply isn't a problem-free TV out there (maybe super-expensive OLED models, but we're yet to read reviews and hear how owners get on with OLED TVs long term). It's a case of picking which problems offend you least. I couldn't buy an LED TV because, instances of blobs aside, they make Panasonic's problems with screen uniformity seem negligible. 2012 Samsung plasmas have problems, too, including floating blacks and brightness pops.

As annoyed as I am by the dirty screen effect, I think the odds of getting a replacement GT50 without this issue are slim to none. Sorry if that's demoralising (that's not my intention). My replacement GT50 is better than the original set in certain regards and I hope it stays this way (or ideally improves). If you have minimal DSE on the replacement, no distracting buzz, and no splodges, this might be as good as it'll get.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Will do gel, though it's not being changed until Feb 5th.

I think 6th Replicant makes a valid point, all these Panas are award winning tvs, yet all seem to be beset with problems.

What's the alternative though? The Samsung PS51E6500 looks decent, but I don't think my wife will accept one. Samsung are just regarded as cheap tvs for people who can't afford Japanese quality in Japan, so she'll take some persuading, even though she can see the problems with Panas. I really want a plasma, every LCD/LED I've ever seen has backlight problems, and the viewing angle is poor.

pray.gif

I would definitely stick with the GT50. I checked out the one in our John Lewis again yesterday I am pretty sure that one is fine too. Yep, John Lewis can be a bit slow with delivery and it is definitely best to get it sorted straight away. My laptop went wrong after 4 months last year and they had four attempts at repairing it before giving me the money to spend in shop again.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gel,

One of the difficulties spotting DSE on 2012 Panasonic plasmas is that it shows up far less on high contrast settings (I've done a lot of reading on this now). Set to "Dynamic" in JL, chances are you'd never see an instance of the dirty screen effect. It's of course not visible on all content anyway.

Based on what I've read (and this seems somewhat true of the two GT50s I've now owned), DSE is also less visible in the "Normal" and "Game" presets. If I view a uniform grey screen (my AVR screensaver), this seem to be the case. There's still DSE, but it's harder to spot.

From what I recall, you watch using the Normal picture preset, right? Is there any way you can view a full grey screen and flick through the different picture presets to check for lighter vertical bands (probably toward the right)? As I've said previously, if you never see this in normal viewing, it's a non-issue.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Hi Gel,

One of the difficulties spotting DSE on 2012 Panasonic plasmas is that it shows up far less on high contrast settings (I've done a lot of reading on this now). Set to "Dynamic" in JL, chances are you'd never see an instance of the dirty screen effect. It's of course not visible on all content anyway.

Based on what I've read (and this seems somewhat true of the two GT50s I've now owned), DSE is also less visible in the "Normal" and "Game" presets. If I view a uniform grey screen (my AVR screensaver), this seem to be the case. There's still DSE, but it's harder to spot.

From what I recall, you watch using the Normal picture preset, right? Is there any way you can view a full grey screen and flick through the different picture presets to check for lighter vertical bands (probably toward the right)? As I've said previously, if you never see this in normal viewing, it's a non-issue.

Yep, I have got it on normal and to be honest scared to change it.
smiley-smile.gif
I have not changed the picture since the first one. Can't you guys just watch it in normal too? Looks really accurate to me, just as good as the Pioneer 5090.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts