Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't like the colour balance on Normal. Besides, this doesn't eliminate the dirty screen effect on my GT50; it just makes it slightly less noticeable. The Normal preset also uses more dithering, so motion is not as good. I'm not trying to spoil your enjoyment of your GT50, honest....

I have the same issues as BBB:

1) I can get back on the replacement merry-go-round on the-off chance that eventually I'll get a GT50 without DSE

2) I can get a refund and buy a different TV

3) I can keep the GT50 I've got and hope things improve, or that I learn to live with the problems.

None of those options are great.

Getting replacements is a lot of hassle and I'm sure JL would eventually say enough is enough.

There isn't another make/model of TV I'd want to buy.

Which leaves me with option three. I've no idea if things will get better with the GT50 I currently have. The best I can say is that the replacement GT50 is a small improvement on the first one, at least so far. Beyond that, the GT50 has fewer issues than any other TV currently available. I think it ultimately boils down to accepting the lesser of several evils. Do I accept DSE, or choose torching, poor viewing angles, etc. instead.

The very last option is to get a refund and wait for '60 series Panasonic plasmas. That would mean living without a TV for a couple of months; and I'm almost certain 2013 models will come stacked with their own problems that'll keep forums buzzing for another twelve months or more...

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I don't like the colour balance on Normal. Besides, this doesn't eliminate the dirty screen effect on my GT50; it just makes it slightly less noticeable. The Normal preset also uses more dithering, so motion is not as good. I'm not trying to spoil your enjoyment of your GT50, honest....

I have the same issues as BBB:

1) I can get back on the replacement merry-go-round on the-off chance that eventually I'll get a GT50 without DSE

2) I can get a refund and buy a different TV

3) I can keep the GT50 I've got and hope things improve, or that I learn to live with the problems.

None of those options are great.

Getting replacements is a lot of hassle and I'm sure JL would eventually say enough is enough.

There isn't another make/model of TV I'd want to buy.

Which leaves me with option three. I've no idea if things will get better with the GT50 I currently have. The best I can say is that the replacement GT50 is a small improvement on the first one, at least so far. Beyond that, the GT50 has fewer issues than any other TV currently available. I think it ultimately boils down to accepting the lesser of several evils. Do I accept DSE, or choose torching, poor viewing angles, etc. instead.

The very last option is to get a refund and wait for '60 series Panasonic plasmas. That would mean living without a TV for a couple of months; and I'm almost certain 2013 models will come stacked with their own problems that'll keep forums buzzing for another twelve months or more...

Tough one then. Not sure what to recommend, John Lewis were starting to get a bit fussy on my third set with replacing them. I really don't have any issues with mine. I will have a think.

D

Deleted member 2457

What about returning it and getting a refund and taking a chance on the Panasonic 55st50 from the Panasonic shop for £999?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think I'd then be relying on the accuracy of a theory of how to get a problem free GT50 (and I'd rather deal with JL's customer service than Panasonic's).

It'd be great to find out the model number of your GT50. That said, the theory that later manufactured GT50s may be better than earlier ones probably has no basis in reality either.

For now I'm content to give it a few weeks and see how I go. I wish I knew prices and release dates for 2013 models...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Mine is an FA prefix on my serial number, are you thinking the serial number prefix determines the date they were manufactured?

I've just been watching the football (I obviously don't want to talk about that), and I never noticed the DSE at all, so it's not attention grabbing. The yellow blotches have 100% disappeared, so I'm actually thinking of keeping this one. If I could be certain of getting a "perfect" model as a replacement, I'd grab it with both hands, but I'm not sure a perfect model exist, and I'm seriously thinking of sticking, not twisting.

If I can work out how to upload pictures, I'll put some up of the yellow blotches, especially the "p". Really odd.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Mine is an FA prefix on my serial number, are you thinking the serial number prefix determines the date they were manufactured?

I've just been watching the football (I obviously don't want to talk about that)

What was the score BBB?
smiley-laughing.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Should have said earlier -- thanks for the suggestions Gel.

Looking back through the posts, it reads like I've shot down every bit of advice you've offered. I think frustration with my TVs has overtaken my manners...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I've just been watching the football (I obviously don't want to talk about that), and I never noticed the DSE at all, so it's not attention grabbing. The yellow blotches have 100% disappeared, so I'm actually thinking of keeping this one. If I could be certain of getting a "perfect" model as a replacement, I'd grab it with both hands, but I'm not sure a perfect model exist, and I'm seriously thinking of sticking, not twisting.

If I can work out how to upload pictures, I'll put some up of the yellow blotches, especially the "p". Really odd.

Glad things are getting better with your GT50.

My first was an FB, followed by an FE. I was pretty confident it was a deeply flawed theory...

It'd be interesting to see pics of the yellow blobs.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Should have said earlier -- thanks for the suggestions Gel.

Looking back through the posts, it reads like I've shot down every bit of advice you've offered. I think frustration with my TVs has overtaken my manners...

The only thing I can think of is to just keep going until John Lewis get really annoyed.
smiley-smile.gif
Some guy on AV Forums has had five I think!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1714919-panasonic-gt50-owners-thread-part-6-a-25.html

Are you following this?

D

Deleted member 2457

Every day there does seem to a happy person on there with the GT50 though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I've just been watching the football (I obviously don't want to talk about that)

What was the score BBB?
smiley-laughing.gif

I'm afraid I don't understand your question, so no idea.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

What was the score BBB?
smiley-laughing.gif

I'm afraid I don't understand your question, so no idea.

Lol.
smiley-laughing.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
The only thing I can think of is to just keep going until John Lewis get really annoyed.
smiley-smile.gif

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1714919-panasonic-gt50-owners-thread-part-6-a-25.html

Are you following this?

Thanks Gel,

I've kept a close eye on various owners' threads. Lots of (sometimes contradictory) theories are flying around.

For instance, some say that DSE vanishes after 500 hours. Others say it gets worse. Others still say it stays the same.

Some blame the AR filter. Others blame the way the panel is driven. Reading owners' threads has left me no more enlightened.

Much as the thought of it makes my heart sink, I think I'll call John Lewis again to discuss options. They're gonna love me!

The real pain is that I'd be delighted with the GT50 if not for this issue.

I'll say nothing about the football score...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I shall have a proper look at the tv next weekend, and if I can't live with the DSE, it'll go back Tuesday, if I can live with it, I'll ring JL and cancel the replacement.

I think DSE exist to a greater or lesser effect on all GTs, it's just that some people don't notice it, or don't care about it, or have the picture settings where it just isn't an issue (like gel).

The yellow marks are another thing all together, and if they return, the tv will definitely be going back.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

Are you following this?

I'll say nothing about the football score...

Was there a game on????

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think I've managed to upload a photo of the yellow light on the screen

8420735067_ed1f783879_m.jpg

8421875992_ec222af03e_m.jpg

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
This may seem a strange question, but is there a light shining on the back of the screen, or does your TV sit in front of a window?

I recall reading (on either AV Forums or Hi Def Junkies) about a problem with Pana 2012 plasmas, where light entering the rear of the TV shows up as a dot (or dots) on the screen. From what I remember, there's a fix for this. I'll try to track down the thread and post a link some time tomorrow.

This may be another of my wild theories, but if that's the root cause of the yellow splodges, there should be something you can do about it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

There is a window behind the tv, but it has a blackout blind over it, so absolutely no light comes through.

The factory reset did remove the lights (there were 3 in different places), though they were fading anyway.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing that's not it, then. I'd still be inclined to seek a replacement, though I can understand your hesitancy to do so if your GT50 is now working well. That's the difficulty with the panel lottery/replacement merry-go-roud that is the TV market today.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think I've managed to upload a photo of the yellow light on the screen

8420735067_ed1f783879_m.jpg

8421875992_ec222af03e_m.jpg

That don't look good, I have never seen anything like that before!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

smile.png

It was kind of a UFO, but it's gone, and according to my wife, hasn't returned. JL will be bringing a replacement this Tuesday, so I'll be watching lots of football and rugby this weekend to see if the dse is still there.I'm still undecided what to do, the picture looks great on the whole, just that little problem.How are you getting on with your replacement GT and Yammy Strapped?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi BBB,

I just posted on this exact issue on your thread about the Yamaha 1020, then spotted your post here.

After a week's viewing, I'm convinced the dirty screen effect is exactly the same as on my first set. Annoying, isn't it...

Rather than enjoying then new TV, I feel I'm simply waiting for vertical bands to appear on content, which inevitably they do. I've read threads elsewhere where users state they see the vertical bands one percent of the time. If this were true of the sets I've owned, I wouldn't consider it a problem. Occasionally there are programmes where I can't see it at all. On most content, however, the dirty screen effect will rear its head at some point. And of course if I watch sport I can see the bands most of the time.

I've no idea what to do. I think it's very unlikely that another replacement would be free of this issue. However, there isn't another model I'd want either. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that I'll have to settle for a TV with a distracting fault. Alternative models have problems that would annoy me more.

Beyond that, I might speak to John Lewis about 60 series Panasonics. That'd mean getting a refund on my GT50, living without a TV for a couple of months, and hoping that Panasonic have done a better job this year. Sounds like a lot of hassle. And each generation of Panasonic plasma has nasty surprises for owners. I think the sad truth is that there's no such thing as an excellent TV any more. The market dictates that production costs are consistently pushed down, making compromises with performance inevitable.

On a more positive note, I'll be keeping the Yammy (see comments on 1020 thread).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts