Audio from TV too quiet through headphones

scragglyannie

May 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi, here's my problem. I have my Xbox connected to my TV, and for various reasons I have to use headphones which I plug into the headphone jack of the TV.

I don't know why but the sound is very quiet through the headphones, even when the volume is turned all the way up.
I'm looking for a cheap way that I can amplify the sound from the TV with a device that has a headphone jack, so the sound from the TV will be louder in my headphones.

I have a laptop with a headphone and a mic jack, could I perhaps amplify the sound of the TV through my laptop and connect the headphones to that?
Or is there a set of active speakers anyone can recommend for less than £50?

Thank you for reading

jjbomber

Fiio are the go to people, but the A1 and A3 may be over budget. Maybe second hand.

Plan B from outer space. Use the optical output from the TV and use a headphone DAC. I don't know if your TV has this option. If it has, let us know and we'll have a look around for you.

scragglyannie

May 6, 2023
Visit site
The headphones are Sennheiser HD-25s, but I've tried another pair of Sennheisers and they were just as quiet. The T V is made by LG.
I also had my laptop plugged into the TV via the same HDMI that the Xbox uses, and the headphones were quiet with that too.
I've just ordered these as it says they have an amplifier:

Thank you for your replies!

Reactions: Gray

scragglyannie

May 6, 2023
Visit site
Those speakers I ordered didn't work. I also tried a cheap sound-bar with an optical line from the TV into it, but it didn't have a headphone jack so no luck there.
If anyone could suggest a solution for under £50 I would be immensely grateful! It's difficult to enjoy the Xbox when the sound isn't right

scragglyannie

May 6, 2023
Visit site
Ok, has this issue always been the case or did the headphones work well initially?
The headphones worked well initially. I've used it in the past with a chromecast Stadia thing in the same HDMI as the Xbox one and the sound with headphones was fine, and also an Xbox 360 and the sound with headphones was fine.
I can't remember if my laptop was okay or not in the past because I haven't used it in that way much, usually the headphones just go straight in the laptop obviously and they're fine that way. No issues with the headphones.
Thank you very much for your replies

Assuming the headphone jack of your TV isn't faulty and your headphones are working perfectly fine, you can try a cheap headphone amp like this to see if it helps.

eSynic Portable Headphone Amplifier Rechargeble Audio Digital HiFi Earphone Amp 3.5mm with Two-stage Gain Switch, USB Cable and Aluminum Matte Surface for MP3 MP4 Phones Digital Players and Computers https://amzn.eu/d/g18gt9d

Also explore jjbomber's advice.

Reactions: scragglyannie

scragglyannie

May 6, 2023
Visit site
Just out of interest, I still have this at my disposable (waiting to be sent back to Amazon): Cheap soundbar from Amazon

It has an optical audio in jack and an aux jack, so I thought I could have the optical line from the TV into it, then the headphones in the aux jack, but the audio output from the soundbar seems to be one or the other. Nothing happens if I plug the headphones into the jack while it's set to optical in mode. Is there a way someone with absolutely no electrical experience could somehow re-wire that or am I just grasping at straws now?

Just out of interest, I still have this at my disposable (waiting to be sent back to Amazon): Cheap soundbar from Amazon

It has an optical audio in jack and an aux jack, so I thought I could have the optical line from the TV into it, then the headphones in the aux jack, but the audio output from the soundbar seems to be one or the other. Nothing happens if I plug the headphones into the jack while it's set to optical in mode. Is there a way someone with absolutely no electrical experience could somehow re-wire that or am I just grasping at straws now?
It's not possible. Both the optical and AUX are "in" and not "out". It doesn't seem to have the feature to simply passthrough audio signals onto the headphones.

Reactions: scragglyannie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts