Panasonic releasing an OLED with 4K and HDR in October and 65-inches!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Its not how much blacker it is Gel - its the transitions from black to grey that they have improved.

Thats how I understand it and is generally what a calibration does to a tv in my experience.

The LG's supposedly crush low level greys by not coming out quickly enough I think - hence the solid black then colour look.

I have found the expensive Sony LED tvs to be similar there is just solid black in patches where there should be gradiant.

I could be wrong in this assumption - that is how I read the spiel - happy to be if someone has better info - they normally do

yes you are correct, it's not just about the blacks. From the interview with Panasonic and Steve withers, they were keen to get across they had improved shadow detail to perfection like they've never been able to do before and show the detail that was crushed in black/dark scenes.

D

Deleted member 2457

An interesting read about this TV on Reviewed.com saying that the panel is only 8 bit but the processing is 10 bit - surprising!

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
What does that mean gel it will or will not dosplay full uhd spec of 10 bit?
I don't know it said make of that what you will in the review. I cant link it because I am at work but will link it later. Its on reviewed.com.

D

Deleted member 2457

People on AV reckon it's false information. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

After doing some more searching most people are saying its 10-bit but another confirmation would be useful.

D

Deleted member 2457

Review here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1444044889

No HDR out of the box!

D

Deleted member 2457

Risk of burn in too. Not exactly a glowing review yet.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
HDR is only brighter in areas at times - its not the whole screen being brighter all the time so unless you pause the TV on a certain bit for several hours you should be ok with that function

Right now there is next to nothing in HDR to watch anyway - I think its being sold probably before its ready - but that is not uncommon now is it

ellisdj said:
HDR is only brighter in areas at times - its not the whole screen being brighter all the time so unless you pause the TV on a certain bit for several hours you should be ok with that function

Right now there is next to nothing in HDR to watch anyway - I think its being sold probably before its ready - but that is not uncommon now is it 

It's part of 4K standards. So if 4K TVs are being sold now, they should include HDR.

There will be films and programmes which will overuse HDR inappropriately just like what some do with 3D technology.

OLED panels are organic and have a finite life. Would HDR shorten their life? Only time will tell.

D

Deleted member 2457

So after spending 4 hours with it they concluded the LG 65eg960v was still the reference TV! Flipping heck, I thought this was suppose to be the holy grail? *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

No HDR out of box what does this mean for the panel bit? 8 bit or 10 bit?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:

Nothing. It simply means an update is forthcoming which will make it HDR capable.
I don't do updates so that is me out.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:

Nothing. It simply means an update is forthcoming which will make it HDR capable.
I don't do updates so that is me out.

why?
For £8000 or even £2000 I would want it to come with HDR out of the box. I have done updates before on Blu-Ray players but never TVs. I did it once and it made the picture worse on a Panasonic 50V20.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
In what way did the picture become worse? I've updated my VT65 (formerly yours) twice so far. No issues.
Remember that 50hz issue? It was that.

TRENDING THREADS