Panasonic releasing an OLED with 4K and HDR in October and 65-inches!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:
Clare Newsome said:
Saw the Panasonic OLED at IFA - looked absolutely jaw-droppingly good!Think I may start saving hard and skip straight from Full HD to OLED 4K in a couple of years, when (hopefully!) prices come down...
Wow, high praise!

Or lack of suitable alternative?

That is meant semi tongue in cheek because that will be all you can buy for a serious tv in a couple of years - i.e. from HD to 4k OLED
Yep, I hear that flat 4K OLED's are going to be even better!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Son_of_SJ said:
I was speaking today to a salesperson in Richer Sounds (who had been considering buying ellisdj's Panasonic 65VT65 plasma). He said that they had heard from a Panasonic representative, who has seen the new Panasonic 4K OLED next to Pansonic's best-ever plasma, the 60ZT65. In the words of the Panasonic representative, "It (the new 4K OLED) makes the ZT65 look broken." Wow! There was I thinking that my own 65VT65 was good! *dash1*

Thats the same sales pitch they said about the ZT next to the legendary Kuro - have you seen both - yes I have - is it better yes it is - was it a couple of £k better yes it probably was / is

Will the Panasonic OLED be about 6 - 7k used or 4k new better i.e. double the cost - I am not so sure at the same size.

I hesitate here - what I do have is a calibrated Pioneer Kuro LX5090 in one room, and an uncalibrated (but using recommended calibration settings) Panasonic 65VT65 in another room. Now, it is the VT65 that I have, slightly below the 60ZT65. The 65" Panasonic VT65 is of course bigger than the 50" Pioneer, but overall do I notice much difference in picture quality? I have to say, no, so far I don't. I might change my view once the Panasonic is calibrated. I'm fully prepare that the new Panasonic 4K OLED is the best yet, though I'd be keen to see it next to the Samsung UE65JS9500, which itself was very highly lauded only six months ago, for instance here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-ue65js9500-1287926/review. Indeed, John Archer ends his review with "It's also clear that the vast majority of consumers won't be able to stretch to the 65JS9500's six grand asking price. But none of this ultimately changes the simple fact that Samsung's new flagship TV produces simply the best picture quality I've ever seen."

And Panasonic's new TX-65CZ950 4K OLED is supposed to be better still.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Look it up son of SJ the ZT was touted as the Kuro Killer at the time of the IFA show, I remember looking at the pictures of them all - they had both and the VT on show next to each other. I thought and commented thinking they had down calibrated the Kuro to make the pannys look better - numpty thing to think.

Now the Oled is touted as the ZT killer - they had both on show apparently as well.

Progress is being made for sure,

When you calibrate the VT65 it should max it out and you can see how good it is - the calibrations controls are vast to allow for perfect calibration thats nowhere near out of the box, I cant see anyone else settings being spot on, but they should be similar, simialr wont be as good it is gets though. However as you can see the reference image on the kuro is still excellent as will the VT plasma still be if the OLED is calibrated the same. The OLED will be better but the VT will hold its own on 1080p. UHD Blu Ray could very well be another story altogether but only time will tell with any advances being major here.

What is different they had all the plasmas under a display to stop there being too much ambient light from memory

With the OLED its out on show in full exhibition light by the looks of it which is a big thing to do really if you think about it - very strong sign of the tech being good for those that watch in very light rooms.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
LG have had their oleds out for over 2 years now, and there have been lots of problems noted on many of forums with them. Panasonic come along using the same panel, although it has been stated they have specially selected their panels and they come and blow the lg's out of the water. It's all about the processing and tech driving the panel. Panasonic have the rolls Royce engine and unfortunately lg have the Kia(no disrespect to Kia owners) engine which is overly underpowered and not as advanced. Of course, Panasonic bring along their flagship experience from their plasma days and also they have the pioneer engineers working for them now who put together the amazing kuros..

its very exciting times and I hope Panasonic can bring in more affordable oleds such as the VT equivalent for us mere mortals.. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
In the limited numbers the UK will apparently get it will be interesting to see if they all go or hang around and drop in price

They said the ZT would be limited numbers but I don't remember anyone saying they couldn't get one.

This tv is obviously different due to price but it's a clever play from panasonic or tough call for prospective buyer.

If you really want it and can afford it do you buy or wait and hope the price drops but chance there being no stock left to buy or very long wait to get one in

What would you do?

D

Deleted member 2457

U
ellisdj said:
In the limited numbers the UK will apparently get it will be interesting to see if they all go or hang around and drop in price

They said the ZT would be limited numbers but I don't remember anyone saying they couldn't get one.

This tv is obviously different due to price but it's a clever play from panasonic or tough call for prospective buyer.

If you really want it and can afford it do you buy or wait and hope the price drops but chance there being no stock left to buy or very long wait to get one in

What would you do?
Um wait. A crazy few with more money than sense on AV Forums will buy it but that's it.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
U
ellisdj said:

What would you do?
Um wait. A crazy few with more money than sense on AV Forums will buy it but that's it.
55-inch model too:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonic-2016-tvs-full-oled-range-more-4k-sets-better-led-tech

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
gel said:
U
ellisdj said:

What would you do?
55-inch model too:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonic-2016-tvs-full-oled-range-more-4k-sets-better-led-tech
I think I could be tempted even by the 55-inch model, although I would want the 65-inch model but say if the stand don't fit onto my av stand I would think about it.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
gel said:
gel said:
U
ellisdj said:

What would you do?
55-inch model too:

I think I could be tempted even by the 55-inch model, although I would want the 65-inch model but say if the stand don't fit onto my av stand I would think about it.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/used-zt-201509134173.htm

He thinks that the Panasonic blews the ZT65 out of the water, but to be fair I thought my LG OLED was a big jump from my Panasonic VT65, so should be very interesting demoing this TV.

gel said:
gel said:
gel said:
U
ellisdj said:

What would you do?
Um wait.  A crazy few with more money than sense on AV Forums will buy it but that's it. ?
55-inch model too:

You're still hung up on your stand gel, despite my alternative suggestions!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
gel said:
gel said:
U
ellisdj said:

What would you do?
55-inch model too:

I just don't want to pay £1000 for a new stand, I would prefer to leave it to fate. Do you think I should get the 65-inch then?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
I just don't want to pay £1000 for a new stand, I would prefer to leave it to fate.

And you are determined to ignore my sub-£100 advice that I gave in post 41 of this thread .....

gel said:
Do you think I should get the 65-inch then?

Since you ask (even though you were asking bigboss rather than me!), no, I don't think you should get the new Panasonic 65" 4K OLED! I think you should stick with your excellent 55" 980W LG OLED for quite some time ......

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
I just don't want to pay £1000 for a new stand, I would prefer to leave it to fate.

And you are determined to ignore my sub-£100 advice that I gave in post 41 of this thread .....

gel said:
Do you think I should get the 65-inch then?

Since you ask (even though you were asking bigboss rather than me!), no, I don't think you should get the new Panasonic 65" 4K OLED! I think you should stick with your excellent 55" 980W LG OLED for quite some time ......
Ah cheers, I think I might stick then!

D

Deleted member 2457

So I am watching my Metallica Glastonbury concert on my LG OLED and I am thinking how much blacker can it really go on this Panasonic OLED? I am going to take a guess and say it can't but would love to be proven wrong, I really can't see it though. The whole screen is black!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its not how much blacker it is Gel - its the transitions from black to grey that they have improved.

Thats how I understand it and is generally what a calibration does to a tv in my experience.

The LG's supposedly crush low level greys by not coming out quickly enough I think - hence the solid black then colour look.

I have found the expensive Sony LED tvs to be similar there is just solid black in patches where there should be gradiant.

I could be wrong in this assumption - that is how I read the spiel - happy to be if someone has better info - they normally do

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Its not how much blacker it is Gel - its the transitions from black to grey that they have improved.

Thats how I understand it and is generally what a calibration does to a tv in my experience.

The LG's supposedly crush low level greys by not coming out quickly enough I think - hence the solid black then colour look.

I have found the expensive Sony LED tvs to be similar there is just solid black in patches where there should be gradiant.

I could be wrong in this assumption - that is how I read the spiel - happy to be if someone has better info - they normally do
I am not sure whether I will like it as much as I thought I would then. I probably will but will have to demo to find out for sure.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You will Gel - I think its going to be a pretty stonking TV, its an improved / bang on accurate OLED

Whats not to like about that - except how much it costs.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
For 8k you would expect either pre calibration or someone to come round after a few hundred hours to do it included in the cost

I bet it it will still need doing, and I bet that wont happen :) Unless a delaer does as part of the sale ;)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes it would be nice if detail in dark scenes can be improved upon, cause if not the inky black makes no sense. The only problem now is the high input lag. 86ms at best. This can rise from 120ms to 200ms with processing thrown in. 4K gaming is out then.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would've to be able to return it if I didn't think it was worth the upgrade though.

TRENDING THREADS